Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The lack of activity on this board baffles me !

Arrow

Originally posted by mitraria
    OK. My two cents:

I was surprised a couple times when Cy Curnin started some threads that soon dropped into obscurity. During the tension between India and Pakistan he expressed his concern over the situation. I thought there would be a longer discussion after that.

Another time Cy mentioned Joseph Campbell, a highly controversial religious writer. This guy makes the hairs on the back of fundamentalists stand up. It would have been interesting to see more discussion about him.

What baffles me is that The Fixx's music is out there on the edge about the future of humanity and what really matters.
    I'm surprised there isn't more thoughful and impassioned discussion on the message board.
    (This is what I was responding to - thanks for asking )
    "You NO Me" - Kat

Well, one can't win either way. . . There will always be two different views

You know, I have been considered two ways my whole life- too serious, or not serious enough. I think it is wonderful that we have opinions, because if we all thought the same, we wouldn't have individuality. If any of you have read Ayn Rand's "Anthem" you know what I mean. I didnt finish "The Fountainhead", but "Anthem" spoke to me in a way no other book has. I feel the same about the music of The Fixx and Queensryche. They dared to take their craft to a level no other artists other than Peter Gabriel and a select few have dared. So what the rest of the world is busy listening to reproduced reworked rehashed songs redid for the umpteenth time? It is about originality, and the mind of the individual who comprehends it.

We see and they see what happens everyday. . . so why not lose yourself in the imagery of their words? I can't think of a better place to hide. And I have been here less than a month, and I can say I have been welcomed by those who replied to my comments. It is great to find a place like this- laid back slightly low tech with no subliminal messages to make you buy something even though you dont like it. The translation in our heart is what makes us who we are- Fixxtures! No conformity, no standards= happy people, get it? I love this site!
    "Even the devil may cry when he looks around Hell and realizes that he is all alone"

Acheron Parthenopaeus

(Sherrilyn Kenyon, Devil May Cry)

http://www.wordclay.com/BookStore/BookStoreBookDetails.aspx?bookid=37784

I yerk & - the k n put in ah N ; too , luv tah luv yah bay bA .
    I called Times 0ut !

fishnoises Guest

Ayn Rand

Hey, Preciousstone, have you read "Atlas Shrugged"? That book had a huge effect on my way of thinking. I don't agree with her views on God, but that story is so prophetic and frightening.
    "Who is John Gault?"
    (Read the book and you'll now what that means)
    I highly recommend if you haven't read it yet.
    I love your posts by the way--you are cracking me up you flirty girl!
    Caroline

I do plan on reading "Atlas Shrugged". On IFC I saw the most brilliant documentary on Ayn Rand, including footage of the filming of "The Fountainhead". If I'm not mistaken, Gary Cooper plays the leading man; it has been on, but sadly I have missed it! "Atlas Shrugged" was considered very progressive for the time it was written in- hell, even now- and I was introduced to "Anthem" by my sophomore English teacher. We read it in class, and I was like "that is the shortest book I have ever read, and it made my head hurt!"

It is hard to find any of her books- I got "Anthem" from a college booksale as well as a great amount of Frank Herbert novels. Oh, I suggest him too! The Dune series is SO WORTH THE READING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Even the devil may cry when he looks around Hell and realizes that he is all alone"

Acheron Parthenopaeus

fishnoises Guest
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer...." Oh my gosh, I read all of those books!!!!!!! (Many years ago!) If you send me your address Stephanie. I wiil gladly send you my copy of "Atlas Shrugged". God only knows when I'll ever have time to read it again. (I have 3 kids--all under 6------------- who are asleep now finally!) my email is fishnoises@wwnet.net
    Caroline

Talking

Yes, I know! I have a twelve year old monster of my own. . . and you know what trips me out? He likes THE FIXX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is one of those rare shining moments of mommyhood. . .LOL
    I will post a recent pic of me and the monster on here. He can be a Fixxture too- there's no age limit! He is already taller than me- just made 5'9" three days after we bought this house and moved in- I guess he was looking for a reason, so now I'm gonna have a court put in back so he can practice his jumpshots. . . cherish the time you have with the little ones. I think that is the best age (and one of the reasons I became a preschool teacher)!

Acheron Parthenopaeus

I was introduced to Ann Ryand through Rush's 2112 album which based the entire first side on Anthem. I wonder if the Fixx has ever tossed around ideas of a conceptual album. That would be very interesting indeed. I think Anthem's focus on the need to maintain the "I" in the world was very powerful. I found Atlas Shrugged to be a little preachy at times but never the less a great work praising the power of individual acheivment. Another great mind to match with Joseph Cambell is Huston Smith. He looks at the significance of all religions and how they all reach for the same light (he doesn't get into the conflict but rather the mutual truths). He's also done some great work comparing and contrasting science and religion. I wish I saw Cy's post on Joseph Cambell. Maybe people were afraid to post?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123