Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The lack of activity on this board baffles me !

"I'm surprised there isn't more thoughful and impassioned discussion..."
    ------------------
    I'm afraid we're not all philosophers and spiritualists - we only strive to be. We get up in the morning and go to a job that pays our bills and allows us to enjoy the beauty we seek. Be it Precious Stones or Baywatch.
    And in between we take ten minutes to communicate with strangers that for some reason we are no longer stranger to. We walk this world and we find we truly are where we belong.
    Hey, did you guys see England wollop Australia yesterday?!

That has to be some of the best Rugby I have seen for a long long time , especially for us to beat them on their own turf.
    The World Cup here we come!!

Ps better not mention to Stuart about Wales v New Zealand

I'm afraid we're not all philosophers and spiritualists - we only strive to be. We get up in the morning and go to a job that pays our bills and allows us to enjoy the beauty we seek. Be it Precious Stones or Baywatch.
    And in between we take ten minutes to communicate with strangers that for some reason we are no longer stranger to. We walk this world and we find we truly are where we belong.
    Well spoken!

If I was Jeff and was reading a couple select portions of this thread I might just feel a bit unappreciated, but hey theres a postive side here as well.... I suppose if noone was concerned than that would be grounds for concern in itself

IMO the updates at the site are starting to come along nicely, slowly yes, but they are happening, and when the tour kicks in I'm sure things will be more complete, and Rupert has been especially generous to us fans in the past year or so with words and pics

<In case you ever stop in here Rupert...... my lord that day in Oakland in 83'!, what a party that must have been, the sublime of a lifetime I am sure, I can only imagine>

ps folks.... I also noticed that the update and gallery pages at the site now contain a link so that people can now contribute
    Last edited by Octopulse; 06-26-2003 at 01:07 PM.

Originally posted by mitraria

Another time Cy mentioned Joseph Campbell, a highly controversial religious writer. This guy makes the hairs on the back of fundamentalists stand up. It would have been interesting to see more discussion about him.
    mitraria,

I would have commented but I have read none of his works. What do you recommend? "The Power of Myth" looks intriguing. Upon further investigation I read that there was a PBS series on his books. Any idea if/where this can be purchased?

B side the C side in Llanelli, Carmarthenshire, UK
    Originally posted by RobertofOxford

Ps better not mention to Stuart about Wales v New Zealand
    What can I say Rob, the state of Welsh Rugby goes from bad to worse, fortunately it's one of my good traits that I am able to accept defeat gracefully, so for now, will sit back and remember the good old days of Phil Bennet, {great mate of mine},JPR Williams, Derek Quinell etc. The days when to pull on the Red jersey and play for Wales meant a real honour, now it seems that we have a team of prima donnas who cannot play as a team, are overpaid, lack pride, and are willing to go on strike the day before the tour to New Zealand departed, meaning they missed the flight and cost endless amounts of wasted money.

Rugby, what can I say, a game played by men with odd shaped balls.................

Thanks god I'm a soccer fan and would rather watch curling and bowls that rugby union.

A Welsh rugby fan was walking through the streets of Cardiff when he sees a sale on at a video shop. When he stops to look he sees a video called “Welsh Rugby – The Golden Years”. The guy enters the shop and asks how much the video costs. The shop owners replies, “£300, mate”. The Welsh rugby fan replies, “What! I’m not paying £300 just for a video”, the shop owners replies, “No don’t be silly, the video is £5 the Beta-Max video player is £295".

Just a jest to show that we can still laugh, anyway, not even record defeats can make me cry, off to see the Fixx and on home turf too.

yessssss!!!!
    Stuart at the Welsh Connection

or how about this one {wait for the hate mail Stu}

It's the first day of school and the teacher thought she'd get to know the kids by asking them their name and what their father does for a living. The first little girl says: "My name is Mary and my daddy is a postman." The next little boy says: "I'm Andy and my Dad is a mechanic." Then one little boy says: "My name is Jimmy and my father is a striptease dancer in a gay cabaret. The teacher gasps and quickly changes the subject. She approaches Jimmy privately and asks if it was really true that his dad dances nude in a gay bar. He blushed and said, "I'm sorry but my dad plays rugby for Wales, and I was just too embarrassed to say so."

oohhhhhhh and from a Welshman as well, at what the heck, we are great at laughing at ourselves.

Stuart, have you seen the message from Gary Tibbs on the main website? also some photos from Rupert.

Read the post from Gary last night, missed the pics though, thanks for the nod, very poignant, the 1st pic from the tour bus, amazing how the world has changed in 2 years.

For DanBoutin:

I've only read one book of Joseph Campbell.
    It had to do with mythology in Christianity and was required reading for a college course. And that was about 20 years ago!
    All I remember is that it was an interesting book. I've tried to find it in print, but I can't.

And to everyone:

I hope my post wasn't taken as a put down. If so, my apologies. I got the response I expected, which is OK. Actually, I'm just a so-so educated, semi-professional working guy who keeps his job to pay the bills. Pretty much like most people I know.

The message I'm getting from you all is that we should try to get what's best out of life and look on the bright side. There's some unthinkable stuff going on in this world. Let's just hope that sane heads prevail.
    Last edited by dejapete; 06-27-2003 at 10:49 PM.

I hope my post wasn't taken as a put down.
    not from me, the optimist made a good point about your post, but I can also relate to your feelings, and I have, one thing ive learned about online forums is that sometimes people just dont wanna get deep about things, the come home from work.... theyre tired.... theyre sick of hearing about war.... theyre boss has been on thier ass.... the kids want attention.... and like someone else already stated.... sometimes folks just want quick info and to be done with it.

You might think that with a band like the fixx there would be deeper discussions on their forum sure, but when it comes down to it I suppose us Fixxtures are no different than any other web consumers.
    Last edited by Octopulse; 06-29-2003 at 09:53 AM.

I agree.
    I never assume people have bad intentions. If they come right out with a put down, heck, who cares! Let it roll off your back. Who are they, anyway? you know?!
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
    In my response to "looking deep" I am always amazed at what people decipher from lyrics. If we find messages that make our hearts swell - well, that's the beauty of art, right? But I wouldn't credit the artist. I would credit the listener/viewer.

On the subject of other boards ,I drift in and out of a couple much busier than this ,but non are at peace with each other like the Fixxtures are.Could this be a lead shown to us by our heroes ?maybe I like it here anyway.

regards to all
    Dave

ps has no one been paying attention to real Welsh sport ?well done Hughesey ,Wrexham and Cardiff and apologies to Swansea on the appointment of Brian Flynn.

Dave Snakey

joseph campbell

I find it odd how bitter/serious people can get about pop music.

As for Joseph Campbell, the best place to start is the reader, "Reflections on the Art of Living." I look forward to seeing what Cy had to say. From there I would watch the PBS specials with Moyers.

I am an active member of another message-board, and this one is slow in comparison. Still, all is relative. Music, after all, is about listening to music first. Finding a place to chit chat and absolve the edges of rational minds about the asthetics of existence in art is and should be secondary.

I have been a fan of the fixx since I was 15ish, half my life, I have bought everything they have put out (stateside), including Woodland, but only now have I been inclined to comment. Point being, there are more Fixx fans out there than you ever will ever find here.

b

People are tired of discussing and worrying about things they have no control over... every time I see a story about the rain forests being burned down, the hungry and killing in Africa, women being treated worse than animals, homeless in America, and so on , and so on. It almost makes me sick! And so the only peace I can make is inside myself, and that is not so easy sometimes either.
    "You NO Me" - Kat

huh?

Where did that come from itizuki?

Were you replying to something else, and put it here by mistake?

Don't worry about anything, relax.

b

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast