Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who can you get me in to?

Who can you get me in to?

OK,Ive looked through the posts and seen mentions of many bands that all you other Fixxtures enjoy listening to.Im playing nothing but Fixx music at the moment and although totally enjoyable I m trying to avoid overkill.
    Please take the time to suggest another band I could also listen to and the best song to get me hooked.
    I promise to try and test as many as I can.

regards to you all

Dave

Dave Snakey

Interpol - album: "Turn On The Bright Lights" song: "PDA"

Paloalto - album: "Heroes And Villains" song: "Last Way Out Of Here"

Rooney - album: "Rooney" song: "Blueside"

Fountains Of Wayne - album: "Welcome Interstate Managers" song: "Stacy's Mom"

Nada Surf - album: "Let Go" song: "Inside Of Love"
    "I will conquer
    Space around me"

THE MUSIC
    part Great White, part Candlebox, part Rush, and two parts Led Zeppelin. Shake well.

http://www.themusicuk.com

Give Saga a try; anything from 'Marathon' or 'Heads or Tales'

311 for sure Dude!
    Their new album is probably their best (except for 1997s Transistor).

Get 311 - Evolver. The tune that went to radio is Creatures For A While although it is not the best track on the album, it still rocks big.

dc Talk... they have a wide range of sound, from rock/pop to alt/rock to rap/rock... the track grabbing me at the moment is "Sugarcoat It". Their greatest hits is a great starter.

OK, let's give this a try....

I have a varied collection to choose from so here are some interesting ones:

Box Of Frogs - Box Of Frogs/Strangeland - try the tracks Back Where I Started From & Just A Boy Again. Blues based rock from some collected former members of The Yardbirds.

Frozen Ghost - S/T - the tracks Should I See & Soldiers Cry. Very similar sounding to The Fixx.

The Hives - Veni Vedi Vicious - the tracks Main Offender, Die All Right! & Hate To Say I Told You So. Kinda Pop/Punk.

Television - Marquee Moon - tracks See No Evil and Marquee Moon are great. Punk with some art rock leanings.

And from Duran Duran's John Taylor - Feelings Are Good And Other Lies - Heck, IMHO this whole CD deserves a listen but for a couple key tracks try Feeling's R Good & Always Wrong.

Enjoy,

Geoff
    "I knew a transsexual guy whose only ambition was to eat, drink, and be Mary." ~ George Carlin.

Re: OK, let's give this a try....

Originally posted by SilentGeoff
    The Hives - Veni Vedi Vicious - the tracks Main Offender, Die All Right! & Hate To Say I Told You So. Kinda Pop/Punk.
    I tried to get into the Hives after a friendly source suggested them. It was just to loud for me and seemed to lack direction. I felt I was listening to a well produced garage band of dropout teenagers. I gave it a good four or five fair listens, but it just didn't work for me.

Maybe Spin It will like it more than I.

Re: Re: OK, let's give this a try....

Originally posted by Steve Pariseau
    I tried to get into the Hives after a friendly source suggested them. It was just to loud for me and seemed to lack direction. I felt I was listening to a well produced garage band of dropout teenagers. I gave it a good four or five fair listens, but it just didn't work for me.

Maybe Spin It will like it more than I.
    The garage band quality and the general lack of direction was what I found to be most appealing. Sometimes chaos in music is a good thing. But, Steve, I can see what you are saying.

Geoff
    "I knew a transsexual guy whose only ambition was to eat, drink, and be Mary." ~ George Carlin.

And from Duran Duran's John Taylor - Feelings Are Good And Other Lies - Heck, IMHO this whole CD deserves a listen but for a couple key tracks try Feeling's R Good & Always Wrong.
    WOW! I thought that I was the only one out here w/this CD! It is a good one! I definitely recommend it as well.

Tracy ~~

Re: Re: OK, let's give this a try....

Originally posted by magical
    WOW! I thought that I was the only one out here w/this CD! It is a good one! I definitely recommend it as well.

Tracy ~~
    I love this CD....especially because Taylor tries IMHO to be the exact opposite of the Duran Duran sound.

Geoff

Frozen Ghost - S/T - the tracks Should I See & Soldiers Cry. Very similar sounding to The Fixx.
    Round and Round is another great track by them. That's my favorite!

thanks

Thanks everyone for the suggestions ,Im not familiar with any so far ,Im currently working on obtaining as many as possible ,fingers crossed for some good tunes.

regards
    Dave

Dave Snakey

Early favs are FROZEN GHOST love their track "dream come true".

Steve,I m still listening to 311."creatures" sounds to me like early midnight oil crossed with the chilli peppers interesting and definate listening potential. Like the pic cover for evolver album.

Keep the suggestions comming please ,so far so good.

cheers

Dave

Dave Snakey

Well, my listening archive consists of stuff as diverse as Type O Negative to Iron Maiden and Stevie Wonder. . . but a few cds I keep playing besides of all my Fixx and Queensryche stuff are Christopher Williams' "Changes", Seal's 1994 release, Color Me Badd's debut and follow up "Time and Chance" as well as Aaliyah's "One in a Million", "Age Ain't Nothin But a Number", and her final self title release as well as the "I Care For You" compiled after her death (RIP, miss you, girl- 1-16-79 to 8-25-01). I also have been twerking to Motley Crue's "Doctor Feelgood" and a lot of Billy Squire lately. . .

I guess I'm just a twisted sister!

Does anyone remember Reel Life? Australian band that graced us with "Send Me an Angel" and "Catch Me I'm Falling" circa 1982? Kinda reminds you of The Pet Shop Boys meets Bauhaus? I caught "Send Me an Angel" on a tape I made a few years back and was blown away all over again. . .

. . . and as always, the Thin White Duke is always an awesome choice. "Blue Jean", "Jean Genie" and all that great stuff! No wonder Trent Reznor adores him as much as I do!
    "Even the devil may cry when he looks around Hell and realizes that he is all alone"

Acheron Parthenopaeus

(Sherrilyn Kenyon, Devil May Cry)

http://www.wordclay.com/BookStore/BookStoreBookDetails.aspx?bookid=37784

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast