Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RANK the FIXX ALBUMS - Favorite to Least Favorite

Question RANK the FIXX ALBUMS - Favorite to Least Favorite

We've been here before, but I thought it was time to refresh our lists, since Want That Life is now in the mix. I've noticed quite a few Fixxtures saying that the new CD is one of their favorites, so let's see where it ranks on your list.

Of course, I'll start things off (mini-reviews are optional):

1. Reach The Beach
    Their most solid effort, excellent production, classic singles, memorable lyrics, and perfect song order.

2. Phantoms
    A moody yet beautiful atmosphere, more classic songs, excellent lyrics.

3. Shuttered Room
    An excellent debut with two classic singles and great album tracks.

4. Calm Animals
    Their most underrated work, a solid collection of songs that rocks harder than anything they've released.

5. Walkabout
    A great album with more classic songs, with minimal filler.

6. Ink
    Their second-most underrated album, great pop-rock songs with slick production, a few more classic songs, and again, minimal filler.

7. Want That Life
    An album that feels like a lot of work was put into every song, with excellent production, a variety of styles and sounds, great guitars and keyboards, and a couple of new classics.

8. Elemental
    A pleasant album with a couple of new Fixx classics. Alternate versions of a few songs fared better on Happy Landings, some of the layers of sound have been stripped away from this release (not enough Rupert, my least favorite guitar work from Jamie), leaving it to sound a little 'dry' overall. Very 90's-sounding, that's good and bad.

Jim

Did this somewhere before but I'll update it:

1. Ink - Probably my favorite Fixx songs on this cd. First 5 songs are really strong. Also like Still Around and All the best Things.

2. Shuttered Room - Red Skies, Stand Or Fall, The Fool, etc. Like the whole cd.

3. Phantoms - Almost as good as SR with Are We Oursleves, Woman on a train, Wish, etc.

4. Calm Animals - Driven out, Precious Stone, Calm Animals, , etc.

5. Walkabout - Secret Seperation by far the strongest but still good6. Elemental - the more I listen to Want that Life the more I like Elemental. It's just a much more solid Fixx cd than WTL. More stand out tracks and stronger song for song.

7. Reach the Beach - Three singles stand out. Rest is too eerie. Don't like anything but the singles and Running.

8. Want That Life - Early prognosis. Nothing all that great on here. Like Touch and We Don't Own the World, but still see stronger tracks on all the previous Fixx cds.

Smile

First, it should be said that The Fixx is a band that has proven themselves excelptionally gifted for turning out such creative work for decades now. But...if I had to rate them in order.....

Reach The Beach
    -Has a surreal ambiance all the way through...turn it on and you're transported to another reality

Shuttered Room
    -Exceptional album for a band's first. Just about every track is catchy in some way...and legendary!

Want That Life
    -Exceptional album for a band together for this long! Want That Life, You Don't Have to Prove Yourself, Touch, Roger and Out, No Hollywood Ending...all ingenious works.

Ink
    -Has real "kicky" material like All is Fair, How Much is Enough, and All The Best Thing, with emotional tunes like No One Has to Cry, Crucified, and Yesterday, Today.

Phantoms
    -Another good listen

Walkabout
    -One of the best songs ever written is Read Between the Lines. Why don't they play that more often? Also, Camphor, Secret Separation are phenomenal.

Calm Animals
    -Driven Out....the BEST! Another Fixx great.

Elemental
    -Not a bad album, but not my favorite if I have those above to chose from!
    "Please take part to find your soul...read between the lines. Please take part and play your role....read between the lines"

The first four are all amazing and very difficult to rank order. After that, though, it's easy to generate an order.

Reach the Beach
    Very close here with Phantoms. I think it wins because there's only two weak/filler track on it ("Opinions" and "Changing") and this is the one that got me interested in them in the first place. I generally don't like the slower Fixx songs, but I even love "Outside" for the tremendous atmosphere. The remastered version with "Deeper and Deeper" and "Going Overboard" is just over-the-top amazing, and if "Crystal Ice Dub" replaced the extended "One Thing" on it, it would be bliss...

Phantoms
    I love the energy of this album, and the Phantoms concert was unbelievable. If the 1011 Woodlands version of "Woman on a Train" were on this one, I might have to move it up. One of the perfect vinyl albums with the <ding> on "Question" leading off side 2, really well done. Highly varied and yet coherent as a whole, just great work.

Shuttered Room
    A fantastic album which I love, but ranked lower than Phantoms because it feels a little more uneven. Wins over the next because it has "The Fool" on it (though "I Live" almost demotes it--probably my least-favorite non-Ink track).

Walkabout
    Again, very close with Shuttered Room. Another really fabulous album with a nice theme/feel to it. I like that aspect better than Shuttered Room, but has a little more weak material on it than SR does--which in my book includes "Read Between the Lines." Funny how that works... "One Look Up" is probably my next worst non-Ink track after "I Live."

I think it's not an accident that I like all the Hine-produced albums best. I think they define the "Fixx sound" that makes them unique--no other band could have made those albums or anything like them. Not that other people could have made the other ones, but they don't feel quite so unique. So there's a bit of a dropoff between those and the next three.

Elemental
    Now, if there was some version of "Lighthouse" on this, it might move up, but it'd be hard to crack that top 4. Lots of strong tracks, "We Once Held Hands," "Happy Landings" (though I did like the EP version better), "Fatal Shore", "Ocean Blue" all terrific; "Different Views," "Going Without" very good. "Freeman" should have made the cut from the EP instead of "Life's What's Killing Me."

Calm Animals
    I like the title track a lot and the rest of the album is still good, but this album just isn't as strong as the others. Very even, though--much better as an album than as separate tracks.

Want that Life
    Still way better than most of the dreck on the radio, but a little too mellow for my tastes. There's an overall feel to it that I like, but few of the tracks really grab me. An OK album. Probably weakened by expectations built up over the long wait.

And then the only Fixx album that doesn't rate as at least a 3 out of 5:

Ink
    I virtually never listen to this disc--I have a hard time thinking of this as a Fixx album. When I first heard this disc, I figured that this was the end of the band. Glad to be wrong, of course, but Ink and I never really got along. I really have tried to get to like this one, but just with no success. "Shut it Out" is the only track here I like (and that only a little) and I can't even name most of the other tracks. Here, let me dust off my copy. Oh, I guess "Crucified" and "How Much Is Enough" are OK.

Something about this disc just always feels very wrong to me, as if the songs weren't really finished or the producer didn't know the band. That's of course not true, as Wittman produced Calm Animals, but something here just rubs me the wrong way.

And, of course, some Fixx faithful really like this disc. To each their own, I say.
    Mike "Sunburn" Byrne
    http://byrneweb.com/Fixx/

A sort of place you don't often find. A quiet room to go out of your mind.
    I guess it changes every now & then. Choosing from the studio albums:

Shuttered Room
    Phantoms
    Walkabout
    Reach the Beach
    Want That Life
    Ink
    Calm Animals
    Elemental
    1011 Woodland

The first four are cover to cover pure light & life for me. The later albums, songs like: Two Different Views, Happy Landings, Touch, Crucified, Yesterday Today, Fatal Shore, Driven Out and the list is growing are all more the reason The Fixx is my favorite band. I cannot wait for the new CD - due in April, I hope

I don't know what I just said or why.

From my heart & from my hand
    why don't people understand my intention
    -Weird Science

As long as they don't venture too far away from their patented sound,
    their new one will be my favorite....(without even hearing it!)

IM TIRED OF THE OLD STUFF- heard it a zillion times-
    its time for some new meat to throw on the fire!!!!

each of the older albums have special places in my brain- depends on my mood and needs- lol.

So its hard to rank them- each have their specific place in time, and memorable moments with the era they were created in-

like: when i saw them soundcheck "Treasure It" all by myself in a huge empty auditorium in the day time, and Cy points right to me as he said "Take a seat for this- coming attraction!"..

just like a painting- everyone likes the mona lisa, but there are way better works that never get credit or mentioned.... popular isn't always better.... (but it pays the bills!)
    "There can be no tradition without innovation."
    - Earle Hitchner, Irish music journalist

heck, lets (out of boredom on this site)- rank the albums from best audio sound /sonic experience:

fave bass/low end songs:
    ocean blue,no hollywood ending,all the best things (digital) shake the low 20Hz register pretty well

as technology got better so did their sound ....

to me calm animals always sounded extremely thin and tight- *wish the low end of that one would get reworked in a remastered version someday....

surprising/ironic that the bass is so powerful/strong on their works, yet the revolving cast of players- glad to see them keep their sound solidified with the syncopated bass &bass drum.... its their best kept secret-

their new one will be my favorite....(without even hearing it!)
    word.

I don't think I'm using the Quote thingy properly.
    DMIII you lost me when you went all technical-musician's-ear in that second comment- haha. But bass = good, so

My soundcheck moment from heaven was "Camphor." There was one other troll there b/c BGardens locked the gates. (Trollz climb gates)

That seems like a million miles away now.

-Weird Science

Wow, you guys resurrected an EIGHT YEAR OLD thread. I guess we've been here a while, eh?

We 're just kicked back, watchin the prairie bales drift across the plains, a waitin for da new FIXX cd i guess......

Jim, this is a great thread idea, will always be relevant. glad you dunnit.

I went digging again and found this really, really old thread in Lighthouse with a link. I bet everyone will enjoy looking again at this site-

http://byrneweb.com/Fixx/index.html

-Weird Science

Originally posted by Diamond05
    [
    to me calm animals always sounded extremely thin and tight- *wish the low end of that one would get reworked in a remastered version someday....
    [/B]
    I am with you on that. I love calm animals. But something sounds strange to me on this. Can not explain. But when Rupert says that "This record is totally the atmosphere where it was recorded. In the Caribbean." i can not feel it. I love it, because it is a hard-sounding guitar-album.

PS:Let's stop the boredom of this site!

Originally posted by Cary C-Troll
    Jim, this is a great thread idea, will always be relevant. glad you dunnit.

I went digging again and found this really, really old thread in Lighthouse with a link. I bet everyone will enjoy looking again at this site-

http://byrneweb.com/Fixx/index.html
    Love the byrneweb site! Glad to see it is still floating out there in the cyber cosmos.

keepin it short

Haven't been on for a while but I'm all Calm Animals tonight so this post caught my eye. Without all the reasoning here's my list:

1. Reach The Beach
    2. Calm Animals
    3. Want that Life
    4. Shuttered Room
    5. Phantoms
    6. Elemental
    7. Walkabout
    8. Ink

Have a great night y'all. Jump in the flow,

Jim in Wisconsin
    I'm drivin' in my car, I used to be able to walk this far

Reach the Beach