1. Phantoms
    2. Reach the Beach
    3. Shuttered Room
    4. Walkabout
    5. Calm Animals
    6. Ink
    7. Want that Life
    8. Elemental

A quick "why" - Phantoms was the first album that I would sit back and listen to - as an album, rather than FFWDing for singles (and I had it on vinyl as opposed to tape only like RTB). I bought RTB first, Phantoms second, Shuttered Room 3rd, then on in later years as albums came out I bought them, but my purchase of RTB came only a short time before Phantoms was released, so my introduction to Fixx material was a bit out of synch on their album timeline, but regardless... If you were to put The Fixx up against older generations of "album rock" musicians like Bowie, Yes, Pink Floyd, etc. -- I think Phantoms stands out as an album like no other in the group, tells a woven story in a way, and does well to package a mood that turns strickingly haunting at the end with Phantom Living. I remember finishing the album and just getting that "whoa, what was that?" reaction...(has/was anyone gone "there" with me on that comment?)
    I guess there's a deeper sentiment with Phantoms that is hard to replicate in some of their other stuff, although Walkabout made the same attempt.

Why I think the new release is so important as an album (or packaged group of songs on CD that flow together) -- that "mood" generated should be like a really fun rollercoaster ride - and I do hope the boys are angry a bit (and I think Cy mentioned that tone before in prior posts somewhere) -- I don't think they should hold back (why should they at their age, honestly?). I wish they'd package 2+ hours of material in the upcoming recording, to be honest, and hope it all "packages" a mood that reflects not just the times we're in now, but serves as fair warning again (like Red Skies etc.) for the future. I hope they take risk and make another "Phantom Living" type song, one they know won't chart but is part of that mood, part of the package.

Here's to the upcoming album -- looking forward to the flow of anger, forewarning, anti-political, thought-provoking, anti-materialistic, and quirkiness that we love from The Fixx.
    I've been lurking...

OK, let me give this a shot. I've recently updated my choices:

1. Walkabout
    2. Reach The Beach
    3. Shuttered Room
    4. Calm Animals
    5. Want That Life
    6. Phantoms
    7. Ink
    8. Elemental

Really go for the hard-hitting stuff, as my list will confirm....

I don't "go through channels." I dig my own....

Keep in mind the fact that I like, if not looooove, all their work.

1) Calm Animals - Would love to see them rock with a hard edge like that more often. I'm Life, Precious Stone, Driven Out, Shred of Evidence, and the title track are standouts in a great album.
    2) Reach the Beach - This album does so many things fantastically! One Thing, Saved by Zero, Running, Privilege, Changing, & RTB are my faves here. All so damn good!
    3) Shuttered Room - What I wouldn't give to hear this album played live, from beginning to end. Some People, Cameras in Paris, Lost Planes, Red Skies, Stand or Fall, I Live, The Fool, etc, are intoxicating.
    4) Phantoms - Lost in Battle Overseas is an all-time great song; so well put together. Add Lose Face, Less Cities (again, amazing) Woman on a Train, Wish, In Suspense, Our we Ourselves. F'n brilliant effort.
    5) Elemental - Overlooked, but most of their stuff is. Standouts to me are: Two Different Views, Going Without, Is That It, Happy Landings, Fatal Shore, You Know Me, We Once Held Hands, Life's What's Killing Me. Again, pretty much all of it.
    6) Ink - I admit I was somewhat under-whelmed when I first picked it up. I didn't quite get that the band was evolving, maturing. Now it is also a favorite, and songs I once dismissed now resonate splendidly. Faves are: No One Has to Cry, Still Around (*), Climb the Hill, Shut it Out (*), How Much is Enough (*), Crucified (*), All is Fair (*). The asterisks indicate songs I was initially not into; have no idea why, cause I love 'em now!
    7) Want that Life - Seems "Fixx-light" to me. YMMV. Still, I very much like: Are You Satisfied, Taking the Long Way Home, and the title track. I do appreciate the band's continuing to evolve, and not stay put. Where they went may not have floored me, but much like Ink, I think this will grow on me more and more.
    Walkabout - So many Fixxtures are devoted to it, I know. Listened to it a bit when it first came out, though not a whole lot grabbed me; now, I only keep Secret Separation in heavy rotation. I will give this another listen; who knows?

I don't doubt the band had plenty of solid material to work with on the new album. I won't be crushed if Taking the Day Off isn't on there, but I still hope to hear it again someday. The version played at The Ovation lounge at GVR in Henderson, NV rocked the house, completely!!!
    "this one sign of the cross"

Phantoms
    Reach the Beach
    Shuttered Room
    Calm Animals
    Walkabout
    Elemental
    Ink
    1011 Woodland
    Want That Life

1. ELEMENTAL
    2. REACH THE BEACH
    3. INK
    4. SHUTTERED ROOM
    5. WANT THAT LIFE
    6. CALM ANIMALS
    7. PHANTOMS
    8. WALKABOUT

1. ELEMENTAL
    2. REACH THE BEACH
    3. INK
    4. SHUTTERED ROOM
    5. WANT THAT LIFE
    6. CALM ANIMALS
    7. PHANTOMS
    8. WALKABOUT

1 Phantoms
    2 Want That Life
    3 Walkabout
    4 Reach The Beach
    5 Shuttered Room
    6 Calm Animals
    7 Elemental
    8 Ink

1. Reach the Beach (simply the best)
    2. Shuttered Room (who is this great new wave band)
    3. Ink (still enjoy it all the way through)
    4. Want that Life (the boys are back)
    5. Walkabout (just OK for me)
    6. Elemental (the start of something new)
    7. Phantoms (disappointed)
    8. Calm Animals (never caught on for me)

Even though I rated them lower, I still love "Woman on a Train" and "Driven Out".

Probably my most frequently played CD has been the 25 year Anniversary Anthology. Disc Two is the bomb! Freeman is probably my new favorite song. That will change though - maybe to something on the new album!

I am not able to rank! To difficult - cause i love most of the songs and it allways depends on my mood.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12