Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What I Like About Where I Live

What I Like About Where I Live

This message board has members from many different places. I thought it would be interesting if people would post something unique and good about where they live.

So...Please contribute. (just the good stuff, please)

I live in La Crosse, Wisconsin. This is a city of over 50,000 people bordered on one side by the Mississippi River and bluffs on the other. Very lovely.

The city has its own brewery, City Brewery, which has the landmark World's Largest Six Pack.

Nearby are bicycle trails that have been converted from old railroads beds. On the Elroy-Sparta trail you can ride in complete darkness through a 3/4 mile tunnel. Quite an experience!

Well i live in a samll town called Santa Maria.... Not much to say about it cept a couple beatiful views when the sun goes up and comes down there are some good places like sisqouc thats a neat town on the outskirts but overall there sint much to it...

Clive

nice threads

The City of Angels.
    So many cultures and ideals that clash live side by side. From the casual ocean communities, to the industrial parts of downtown, we will literally cross the street from Sanford & Son's Junkyard to the Beverly Hillbillies Mansion.
    Phony facades make me laugh! It's simply the adventure of this ridiculous, silly place. But underneath that wardrobe are many genuine hearts of gold and I am always more surprised by the few incidents of selfishness I encounter than by the vast amount of charity I have seen.
    The work that goes on behind the scenes is simply unfathomable and I value nothing more than witnessing that passion and commitment. For me, that is what makes a home.
    I still walk down Hollywood Blvd. in awe of the history and future here.

It's a dry heat

I live in the" valley of the sun", Tempe, AZ to be exact. It's what we don't have that counts. No hurricanes, no mudslides, no ice storms, no floods, no tornados, no snow drifts. All which adds up to year round golfing, superb!

Just a note to" clive", Santa Maria is lovely for sure.
    "I'LL BARE ONE PRECIOUS SCAR...."

Another AZ Fixxture here. I live in Phoenix. Actually, I was born and raised in Phoenix!

What's unique about Phoenix? Hmm, I'd have to say that some of the desert landscapes here are just outright beautiful. The hiking is great, and the sunsets are nice. We also have a ton of Mexican food restaurants in the Valley. Many are mediocre - good enough for tourists - but many are also excellent.

It's also nice that we have four major professional sports teams in town. (Yes, I'm including the Cardinals!)

Comfortably nesteld between the ocean blue and strawberry fields forever.

octo... what the F*ck is that?

my area is right on lake ontario, the 13th largest body of water on the planet, and we live on the south-eastern corner of the big pond, so the sunsets are breathtaking- and so is the 200 inches of annual snow! We also house the University- SUNY Oswego, with an outstanding reputation as one of the premier teacher's colleges in the northeast- plus alumni include: Al Roker, Jerry Seinfeld, Linda Cohn & Steve Levy from ESPN, and artist Roy Litchenstein taught here back in the late 60's. Im sure there are more- i'm just tired....

Our college hockey team is about to go to the DivONE league with the big guns too!

Oh and we have a way cool LIGHTHOUSE in the harbor... a perfect backdrop if the fixx played at harborfest in july.....

Sunsets here were ranked second on the planet after someplace in Japan- my old geography professor told me back in 1986.

And of course the legendary Oswego Speedway.com....

Watch for my friend Andy Noto in the 19 Ltd, to kick tail this year-

o k blabbermouth is done!
    "There can be no tradition without innovation."
    - Earle Hitchner, Irish music journalist

I live in a small town not far from Mitraria, creator of this thread

things I like most about Wisconsin area: 4 seasons in one day, sometimes the weather will be 40F one day and 80F the next. It can snow today and I can golf tommorow. I love that we get all the extremes. Especially the cool 40-50 degree spring and fall. And the mountains of snow and 10 below in winter. In the summer we often see the 90's. (I don't care that much for heat though.)

The color change of the leaves is fabulous. The Wisconsin River runs through the middle of town and there are miles of walking trail along it. I spent several hours, and countless days sitting of a picnic table writing lyrics for a song no one would ever hear. Walkman in hand listening to Phantoms and Calm Animals.

Great golf courses, which I love. And Eau Claire, where I went to college not too far away. All my childhood memories, especially high school are here.

Oh yeah, the fixx played here a few years ago- icing on the cake.

I live some 30 miles, south-west of London, UK. It's kinda cool, as I can be in central "bustling" London within an hour, but also down on the south coast, in the same time. There's plenty of English countryside near here; crops, cows, sheep, lakes

I live within half a mile of the Farnborough airport, home of the International Airshow (you can taste the fumes, during that 2 weeks ), and also the home of aviation history in Europe. The first powered flight in Europe, was made from there.

Also near by is Aldershot, home of the British Army for the past 150 years (but also the target for several IRA bombs, back in the 70's).
    The Beatles once played in Aldershot. Actually they played two shows; one man and his dog turned up for the first set, so the band went out on the streets, trying to dum-up business for the second show. I understand that they didn't have much luck

octo... what the F*ck is that?
    thats an Egyptian ideogram for "countryside"

What's great about where I live is that you don't have to go far to enjoy a scene like this. This photo was taken at my campsite this weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I just recently moved to a place southwest of Atlanta, near the Alabama border (previously I'd lived a little bit closer to the southern tip of Atlanta)... it's very rural out here, and I love it. The Chattahoochee runs right through town, and there's lots and lots of farms and lots of trees everywhere. Our town has old-town charm and hosts several holiday gatherings, like fireworks over the river on July 4th, Haunted Hayrides on Halloween, and Santa & Mrs. Claus in the square at Christmas. The people are terribly friendly and best of all, we have an excellent seafood buffet restaurant right on the river, 3 miles from our house (I LOVE LOVE LOVE seafood).

Where my house is, I can't see my neighbor's house, and can go out on my porch stark naked without worrying that someone will see me. We get possum, deer, wild turkeys and foxes passing through our back yard weekly. And our pond is full of frogs that LOUDLY serenade us each night (ok, so I could deal with some quieter frogs...). I love that I don't hear cars, people, or airplanes constantly... and I love that the former owners of the house planted a multitude of flowering shrubs, bushes and trees all around the property so that the spring time is just glorious with color!!

I moved from Wimbledon to North London today. To a lovely area called Woodside Park. So I thought it would be appropriate to post on this thread today

As much as will miss Wimbledon, it's lovely up here. I'm less than 5 minutes away from a nature path that takes you to some nice woods where one feels as if you were in the countryside. The underground station used to be an old train station. I'm attaching a photo I took of it with my mobile, as I was walking towards it.
    If you have ever visited London, you'll notice it certainly doesn't look like the typical London tube stations, such as the ones you see in Central London.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hope you enjoy your new home, Allanah.

Rain, you've inspired me to Google with the gSat.

Who changed the thread starter's name? It used to be mitraria. Whatever happened to her?
    Last edited by dejapete; 04-24-2005 at 11:39 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast