Thread: (Lyrics) Name That Tune

from SilentGeoff....
    "Last month there was a fire,
    I saw 7 children die,
    You sent flowers to their family,
    But your sympathy's a lie"

OK....who's got it.
    Living Colour - Open Letter To A Landlord

I love the geetar at the beginning of that one, Vernon Reid is a great player, "Whats your fav color?" is another fav, so is "Love Rears Its Ugly Head", "Sacred Ground", "Type" plus the better known hits, you know ..... Living Colour had some great tunes, they mix the funk and da rock riffs well
    Last edited by Octopulse; 05-22-2004 at 01:23 PM.

Assuming Im right with my answer I'll repost my earlier song hint

plus another clue....

Its a live recording, its a b-side to a more popular tune, its on a compilation collection, from a band thats been mentioned more than once here at the forum, plus.. one of the bands popular albums has a title thats a 3 word palindrome

heres the original clue....

< black sounding and obviously intoxicated MC walks up to mike >

testing 1 - 2 .... testing

good afternoon ladies and gentleman

were glad you made it here tonight

because you gonna miss out .. you can tell your friend tomorrow .. that they gone miss out on <beep> all damned good things we gonna give you tonight

ya .. right on

what we gonna give you tonight .. It'll be down to the nitty gritty .. ya .. you can tell all your friend .. way over in da .. hell hell I dont care you %$#% can tell em anything you wants .. you can tell them tonight .. that Santa Monica had been definitely set on fire .. and they missed out on a damned good thing .. the best thing that ever happened to Santa Monica is gonna be here tonight .. ya .. and you can also .. all you little ole purty purty little purty ones .. if he aint here tonight .. you can tell him forget it too .. ya know .. because Mr. whatever is here tonight . and he gonna get down tonight brother .. he gonna get 'wit it .. hes gonna give you something that Santa Monica never had .. if it good to ya it gotta be good for ya .. right on ya .. and one thing I can tell ya brother .. he is here tonight .. Mr. magnificent one is here .. the beautiful ones here .. and you little ole purty ones are here too .. ya know n' whatever .. here they are the magnificent ones .. the only ones ...... Mr. ? n' whatever ...........
    Last edited by Octopulse; 05-22-2004 at 02:20 PM.

Originally posted by Octopulse
    Living Colour - Open Letter To A Landlord

I love the geetar at the beginning of that one, Vernon Reid is a great player, "Whats your fav color?" is another fav, so is "Love Rears Its Ugly Head", "Sacred Ground", "Type" plus the better known hits, you know ..... Living Colour had some great tunes, they mix the funk and da rock riffs well
    Yep Yep you are correct sir....

The guitar in that song the whole way thru is great and it sounds even better live...I was fortunate to see these guys opening for the Rolling Stones on opening night of the Steel Wheels Tour in Philadelphia. I have been a big fan of their's since the first time I saw the "Cult Of Personality" video on MTVs Headbanger's Ball. I think Corey Glover's voice is one of the more underrated ones in rock....prolly overlooked because of the hair aerobics he used to do, lol. It's really cool that they got back together and put out a new CD recently.

I got your lyric thang now.....is it "Bodhisattva" - Steely Dan. That is a great live version of that song . Steely Dan never cease to amaze me with what they manage to put together from one song to another.
    Last edited by SilentGeoff; 05-23-2004 at 11:45 AM.
    "I knew a transsexual guy whose only ambition was to eat, drink, and be Mary." ~ George Carlin.

Now figuring I Have that right...

since I just happened to be listening to the song as I checked in on here....Here's another one from the vast library that is my CD collection, lol.

"Wizards of a modern age cast spells of electric power,
    But the corporate strings that make them dance,
    Lead up to an ivory tower"

Enjoy, discuss and by all means guess.....
    "I knew a transsexual guy whose only ambition was to eat, drink, and be Mary." ~ George Carlin.

from SilentGeoff....
    I got your lyric thang now.....is it "Bodhisattva" - Steely Dan.
    thats it's! I remember it being one of those b-side songs that got alot of play on tavern jukeboxes back in the early 80's.

thats it's! I remember it being one of those b-side songs that got alot of play on tavern jukeboxes back in the early 80's.
    Yeah, nice long version of a song to get your musical money's worth. I did that alot, lol. It was weird because I had just put in one of the "Citizen Dan" box set discs and was listening to that and typing out the message and started to leave the board for the day deflated because I couldn't figure that out and that song came up. Odd how that works out.

Smile This one might be tough

Hello All,

Here is one I think that may challenge you, " A Hydro-field cuts through my neighborhood. Somehow that always just made me feel good. I can put a spare bulb in my hand. And light up my yard.

Fixxation

Re: This one might be tough

Originally posted by Fixxation
    Hello All,

Here is one I think that may challenge you, " A Hydro-field cuts through my neighborhood. Somehow that always just made me feel good. I can put a spare bulb in my hand. And light up my yard.

Fixxation
    "Light Up My Room" - Barenaked Ladies

OK, hopefully I have it right....Fixxation what's ya say?

Now let's add some to my previous one....It starts:

and the addition....

"There sit the fates in solitude,
    Far from the public eye,
    No one ever sees them smile,
    And nothing makes them cry"

See if that helps ya some...

Nice Job!

Hello SilentGeoff,

Great work! Yes, it is Barenaked Ladies. Man, I can't get anything by you guys. You know we need prizes!

Fixxation

Thumbs up

WOW, GREAT TUNES SOFAR!

Can you guess this one?

"An unbearable pain, beating in my brain
    That leaves the mark of Cain, right here inside"

Smile Barrel Of A Gun

Guido,

The song is "Barrel Of A Gun" By M.L Gore.

Fixxation

It was. Two bands opened for BTO, Trooper and FM. I also saw FM again on tour with Rush a year or so later
    I so would have loved to see that show. Alas, I got into Trooper much later and only saw them a couple of years ago at the Molson Amphitheatre in an opening spot for another band I really like but I can't remember who it was at the moment!

and the addition....

"There sit the fates in solitude,
    Far from the public eye,
    No one ever sees them smile,
    And nothing makes them cry"
    For some reason I'm thinking it's a Rush song but I can't remember which one...

Smile I think it's Triumph

Hello MK,

A fellow Canadian! I love it! The song is Just A Game by Truimph.

Take Care,

Fixxation

I knew I recognized it! I should have known. I only own Thunder Seven, that's my excuse. LOL

Page 5 of 77 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast