Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fixx Fan's Tribute Album - add your track!

Welcome gearHed!

This is Will from Thinmen. Thanks for the comments on Stand or Fall. We currently don't have any plans to come to Chicago - but we would like the opportunity! BTW - I had gone out to mp3 to listen to your stuff - and I really like your bass playing - and the structure of your sound. We have travelled some same paths. I had an 80's cover band up until starting Thinmen - and we got to open for the Fixx in Oct 2000! I'm glad you've decided to do a cover. Me and other Fixxtures are still toying with the idea of an actual CD. I would love to do it - so if you have any distribution avenues, we could certainly use them. Lost Planes is a great tune and I'm looking forward to hearing it!

Peace,
    Will Jacobsen
    Thinmen/Duct Tape Mummy
    Barefoot One Music

Re: FIXX covers reviewed

Originally posted by gearHed
    I've decided I'm going to do a version of Lost Planes ASAP. Of course, with a 9 month old baby in the house that means a couple of months! I'll let ya know when it's available.
    Yeah Lost Planes, great song!

Seems like the tribute finally WILL happen! Make my day...

---

Tracks recorded:

Thinmen / Will Jacobsen - Stand Or Fall
    The Calm Animals / Dirk Kastens - World Weary
    Layla, Peter, Guido - Two Different Views

In the works:

gearHed - Stand Or Fall
    Xaqtly - undecided
    Jay "Stranger Seven" - undecided

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Ooops... the list should be:

Tracks recorded

Thinmen / Will Jacobsen - Stand Or Fall
    The Calm Animals / Dirk Kastens - World Weary
    Layla, Peter, Guido - Two Different Views

In the works

gearHed - Lost Planes instead of SOF
    Xaqtly - undecided
    Jay "Stranger Seven" - undecided

Thumbs up D.K./World Weary cover

I'm not a singer, not a musician, not even a producer. What am I? I'm a guy who digs the Fixx! Your version of this cut is simply marvelous! Groovy cool, start to finish. Take a bow!

B side the C side in Llanelli, Carmarthenshire, UK

world weary

Have to agree, this is even better when burned to CD and played back through my in car 6 speaker Clarion system, the synth swirls fly around the car in better fashion than choppers rising behind hills in Hamburger Hill in surround sound, wish I had even a tenth of the talent of the people involved in the submitted tracks so far, Guido's 2DV and Thinmen's Stand Or Fall, all amazingly well crafted and great on the ear in that no one has tried to copy the Fixx in a "tribute band" type way, and gone their own way with the lyrics and basic melody. Can't wait for more, if I wasn't so tone deaf, I'd hire a studio myself.........
    Stuart at the Welsh Connection

Talking Fixx Tribute CD

Invisible Records is SERIOUSLY considering fronting this tribute... Yeah, thats right. Invisible Records, which is home to such acts as Pigface, Apox Theatre, & so forth, are interested in seriously taking on the Fixx Tribute CD. Since I have been left with securing acts and label interests, I would like for everyone who has finished recordings to hit me with a personal e-mail. I believe that Invisible will secure the mechanical rights for each song they chose. And they WILL chose the best out of the bunch. I have also secured a few larger named acts, such as Apox Theatre, the Echoing Green, and Glampire for the recording. This will help sell the CD. Any unknowns (such as myself) that DO get picked will obtain higher exposure because of this. So, again, if you are ready to do this, I need your personal e-mail committment and titles you are working on. Thanx to everyone for your help.

Hi Sean!

In your previous message, you wrote:

>> I have contacted Jeff, who is in charge of bringing The Fixx Tribute Cd to fruition. He has asked me to help in the responsibility to make this CD actually happen. <<

This FixxTURE tribute project was started by fixxtures, and was meant for fixxtures in the first place. Jeff Elbel was one of us, he also volunteered to master this project. More people were encouraged to join this tribute, no matter how skilled they were. Like Jeff Elbel said: "bedroom recordings aside studio tracks, it's the idea that counts". Maybe this didn't work out as we hoped: 4 songs were recorded, while the goal was 10 songs or so.

The fixxtures that were involved got very little info on the progress, repeatedly requests stayed unanswered. The tribute didn't seem to happen, so I finally started this thread on the Fixx messageboard, which you prolly noticed:

http://www.thefixx.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=867

It was quite a surprise to read about your sudden plans for the Fixxture Tribute. No doubt your intentions are good, but it bothers me that you simply take over the tribute without discussing it first (choosing the best tracks, gathering alternative/goth acts). Btw I don't get it why Jeff E. didn't ask for our opinions in this matter, becasue from the very beginning, this was our *collective* FixxTURE tribute.

Sorry if this message sounds kinda harsh to you, it has not been meant angry. I don't want to hinder your enthusiasm in a good cause.

Please DISCUSS and let's see if we can work something out ALL TOGETHER. I think all recorded tracks should be included, without choosing the 'best' tracks (who would decide anyway?). But I'm a reasonable guy, maybe you can convince me...

Regards,
    Guido

---

* this message was sent by e-mail and was also posted on the fixx messageboard *

Fixx tribute

Guido,

I'm sorry if it seems that I have 'Taken over", but I asked Jeff what the status of the tribute was. He basically told me I could take it on because he was knee deep in other stuff. I'm an action man. I take something on and get it done. I didn't mean to come on abrasive. I feel passionately about this project, and saw it as my opportunity to help a chunk of us who have signed on to gain some further exposure through this tribute. The people I have recruited also LOVE the Fixx. This project has been lying lethargically in limbo for a number of years now. I am merely trying to breathe new life into it. If you want to do a seperate tribute by Fixxtures for Fixxtures, then I have a solution...I have recently come across a company that will press CDs (complete with full color on CD printing, & Full color CD sleeve) for about $998. Or short runs for $159/100. If you all would be interested, we could go that route. However, I believe that by this label's interests, the Fixx will at least get a tribute that will expose them as the most intelligent and innovative bands of their time to the world. This will, hopefully increase their platform as a serious musical contender, not some highly under-rated band from the 80's that many people see them as now. The Fixx desrve this recognition, I think. So maybe we can compromise? Those who wish to submit their versions of Fixx songs to the label may do so. The rest can pool their $$$ together to press a by Fixxtures for Fixxtures short run Tribute CD. I think that will serve everyones best interests. N'est pas? Thank you for your concern.

There has been a lot of time pass since the idea first popped up on this board... if you can get it done by semi-pros I say go for it... about the only experience I have had at singing is karaoke on the weekends, and yes I did "One Thing"... had them all up dancing... but I would have no idea at how to go about recording any demo or song for a cd... do not have a band, etc... good luck to anyone else that tries
    "You NO Me" - Kat

Fixx Tribute

Sean,

Thanks for your fast reply.

I do agree that a tribute by an official label would be better. And ofcourse, EVERYONE IS FREE TO SUBMIT THEIR TRACKS TO THE LABEL. I also think some guys should actually do that. Dirk, Will, do you read me guys?

My concerns are about the recorded tracks that were submitted to the fixxture tribute if they won't fit in 'your' tribute. I still have some questions left about that. Hope you don't mind if I'll contact you about this directly by e-mail.

---

And errr Itizuki, I'm a semi-pro alright...

From Sean:

>> So maybe we can compromise? Those who wish to submit their versions of Fixx songs to the label may do so. The rest can pool their $$$ together to press a by Fixxtures for Fixxtures short run Tribute CD. I think that will serve everyones best interests. N'est pas? <<

Mais oui, fair enough. So guys take your chance and submit!

Like Sean suggested: we can still stick to a fixxTURE tribute cd for the tracks that don't make it to the label. Hmmm two tributes? That's even better than one tribute!

---

Sean, thanks for answering my off-board questions. Maybe I can trace the old tracks. For now: keep on walking and don't look back...
    Last edited by guido; 05-14-2003 at 06:16 PM.

Originally posted by guido
    Mais oui, fair enough. So guys take your chance and submit!
    So what do you need for the tribute CD? I only have this one recording of World Weary, not the original sounds or separate tracks. I don't know if the sound will be good enough for a "professional" tribute CD.

Dirk

Originally posted by Dirk Kastens
    So what do you need for the tribute CD?
    Your final mixdown (wav file burnt on cdr) should be fine (if the quality is ok).

You can contact Sean Cook for submitting (and his post address):

Mi5tergone@aol.com
    Last edited by guido; 05-19-2003 at 04:55 PM.

there's the new LP of System 7 which has a track that begins with the same chords/rythm as Stand Or Fall : after the song is different (it's not a cover, just a completely different track with a "the fixx flavor").

hey guido

just heard your cover of Two ....

like the guitar sounds!

arlen
    arlen

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast