Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How seriously should we take The Fixx?

Question How seriously should we take The Fixx?

How seriously should we take The Fixx? That’s something I’ve been wondering about lately. While listening to Fixx songs, one hears themes of impending cataclysm, rejection of status quo, and the search for personal fulfillment. Some serious stuff.

At my first Fixx concert, I joked with my wife because Cy would lead us to sing along with “Red Skies” and “Stand or Fall”. It was kind of like, “The world is going to Hell. Now everyone sing.”

Are these anthems to be sung for fun or to be taken seriously? Perhaps The Fixx would like to be taken seriously, but I don’t think that is their aim. In my opinion, their primary goal is to provide entertainment and for us to have fun. The content of their songs is serious, but I don’t think they really see themselves as the vanguard for some cause.
    Last edited by dejapete; 05-11-2004 at 06:05 PM.

I take the band serious, how can I not deny that they are a big part of my life after 22+ years of listening?, but .... not too seriously either, we are just all people anyway, for me its kinda hard to define where one becomes the other.

More importantly though, maybe for my own sense of centeredness if anything else .... I havent placed them on any pedestals, I dont even put Jimi up there, to me pedestals are only for kicking over .. ya no?
    Last edited by Octopulse; 05-11-2004 at 07:41 AM.

below teachers, doctors, family, and God

above athletes, talk show hosts, actors, and most other folk

I love the Fixx, OF COURSE I TAKE THEM SERIOUOSLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How could you not, i love all the guys they are all very nice, as well as all the fans........ What is there not to take serious aobut them?

Clive

Hi Clive.

Same goes for me. I love those guys and their music. And I recently had the wonderful privilege to hear them play and to meet them.

For the record, I meant to post this to Lighthouse. But, what the heck. Who knows where it might go. (probably page 2, but that's OK)

Heheh, thats great get out to see them more

Thanks. I will.

I'm planning on seeing them at the Taste of Minnesota in St. Paul, MN. They will be following the Four Tops. I guess they are being booked as part of that nostalgia thing. At Summerfest, they are following Colin Hay of Men At Work.

This time, I will take them more seriously. It's kind of like what MK said (are you still lurking out there, dear?). During a concert, I tend to get caught up in the moment and act silly. So, if anyone wants to join me, I promise I won't spill drinks on you. (Sorry about that, Bruce.)

And I do take The Fixx's song lyrics seriously. For one thing, I'm concerned about the U.S.'s image in the rest of the world. And for another...well, I'll save it for another time.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy

Red face } How do I take 'The Fixx'

Strong with 2 Shoogz please..

I called Times 0ut !

Re: How seriously should we take The Fixx?

Originally posted by dejapete
    At my first Fixx concert, I joked with my wife because Cy would lead us to sing along with “Red Skies” and “Stand or Fall”. It was kind of like, “The world is going to Hell. Now everyone sing.”
    Very amusing! I can totally see this because that's the kind of music they make. I like what they have, but a deeper inspection of the lyrics shows something else. For example, "In Suspense" or "Facing the Wind" from Phantoms [if I'm remembering my lyrics correctly] are all rather heady stuff and not about interpersonal relationships.

At the same time, I don't think The Fixx has ever had the image of an "activist band". I'm not completely positive what image they did/do have, but I don't find that to be one of them.
    If John Cage stands silently in a forest and there's no one there to hear it, is it music?

Smile

Oh I take them seriously...but its not like I devote my life to them.

I was so FIXXated in the 80's-90's, I mean I still love them, but I was heavily into them from 1985-1990ish. I saw them in '90 and loaned the band members my pen for them to sign autographs. I got back both signatures and pen. My friends joked that I'd never let the pen out of my sight since the Fixx touched it. They said I'd probably put it in a glass case on a shelf behind velvet ropes- LOL! Well I didn't go that far, but I still have the pen, and its labeled "Fixx pen" and its in my drawer. And it still works too!

So...yeah...I take the Fixx seriously!
    "Things are so enchanting...high on life."

B side the C side in Llanelli, Carmarthenshire, UK

.....but seriously

I take the Fixx as they are, they were and still are the sound of my youth, they've been the one constant in my life, when things go wrong and enough of them have, the Fixx have always been there, just the press of a button away, and suddenly all my troubles drift away, better than chemical answers any day.
    I've never been one of these fans that analyzed lyrics, hell I couldn't have cared nor told you what Red Skies was about, I'm in it for the music and not the meanings behind the songs, but seriously, yep - serious enough for me.
    Stuart at the Welsh Connection

Intresting view points... I Love hearing everyones opinions .. I am one of those people who does analyze lyrics .. the song has to say something to me or at least get me to visualize the story or what the song writer was trying to convey ...Don't get me wrong .. I like plenty of songs just for their "Boom, Boom " dance beat .. But for me to really get into the music .. I have to understand what is behind it .. So, I take the Fixx's words very seriously, when the intention is for it to be taken seriously (ei: Stand or Fall or a song like Silent House ) and not.. where it is just for fun .. Like "Going Overboard" ... That was just a "fun" Song ... Jeanne ...

Y'know, I always thought I was the Fixx' biggest fan, but it's nice to know there is a community of us! The Fixx are my favorite band, and I take music very seriously. So, yes, I take the Fixx seriously.
    Ray

"Our destiny relies on conscience. Red or blue, what's the difference?"

Not much when there are enough WMD's to destroy ourselves 10,000 times over. Let's get it together! In the past weopons conquered. We can't use those anymore!

(and where is MK?!)
    Last edited by dejapete; 10-28-2005 at 06:26 AM.

Serious Stuff

The Fixx's aim as musicians is multifold and works on different levels, which is undoubtedly the point.

The answer to how seriously the lyrics should be taken lies somewhere in the middle. It also depends on which aspect you appreciate at any given moment, which is also (no doubt) by design.

The songs are designed to entertain, to be anthemic and moving, and also "fun". However, at a deeper level they are designed to express the band's (and the audience's) concerns, express emotions, pose questions,
    to be alternately life-affirming or soothsaying, etc. Cy Curnin (and the band) seem like thoughtful, introspective people and of course that is going to come through in the lyrics. Thankfully, the Fixx never jams these more "serious" elements down our throats.

It is to the band's credit that these more "serious" elements are always tastefully restrained and they never come across as overbearing, preachy, or overly earnest. (A line that bands like u2 often cross). Often the issues are presented as concerns and doubts (why else would so many of their song titles be questions? ) rather than "oh, we have all the answers, and here's what YOU LITTLE PEOPLE need to do"

The Fixx's music challenges the listener to think and feel, and while this element is not NEEDED to just groove along to a song like Red Skies, it can definitely deepen the experience or add more dimensions and layers of depth to an already great song.

I would also like to point out that musicians often make is they think they have to "sound serious" in order to be taken seriously as musicians. Alot of listeners buy into this fallacy as well, and as a result we get alot of preachy,overly-earnest and self-righteous bands that the critics praise to kingdom come. This is a bunch of bullsh*t in my mind. I believe bands like Roxy Music and the Damned are among the greatest artists/bands ever, and most of their songs have nothing to do with "serious" topics. They were always serious about what they did, however. (and still are.)

I have more to say on this, but I'll just post this for now...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast