Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How seriously should we take The Fixx?

The words don't mean much to me. If the music sounds good and the singing is good then I take a band seriously as I do the Fixx. If they suck then they should go write poetry and read it in coffee houses as most of these freaks making "music" should have been relegated to do with their back porch ditties that are being paraded around as musical masterpieces with their so-important social commentary that we are supposed to care about.

I I don't care about some f**k up like eminem or his mother or wife. If he and Dr. dre are so tough let them go fight the Taliban and then we can watch them run back to their mamas with their tails in between their legs.

Eminem may have been poor, but he had cable TV because he is just copying new wave stuff he watched as a kid while adding hip hop to it.

It's people like this who ruined music and convinced mindless idiots that they are cool . For a young person to say eminem sucks now is like a young person saying Aerosmith sucked back in the 1970s. They would be ridiculed for not following the leader and saying these politically correct bands are so wonderful and great.

I take them very seriously, in that, they remind me there are people in this world who still think, feel, use their brain power and creativity to speak out. Even in their lighter songs, there is truth. The Arts reflect society, and the current state of most of the Arts (ie- the music industry, movies, fashion, artwork-ie: Thomas Kinkade) is without thought, vapid, uninspiring, recycled mass marketing. Oh yeah...look around, it's everywhere. What happened? How did we get to this point?
    Offensive is a good word for it. I really believe that things are being allowed to slip into rampant, mindless mediocrity--the general mass acceptance of things like the sad state of our educational systems--no one is encouraged anymore to excel, but just to fit in, be one of the herd and not think with nor speak your mind, ever! Agency control, you know...they'll take your soul.

Kim
    My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness.
    ~Dalai Lama

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
    ~Adam Savage

It's the McDonaldization of our society. John Q. Public wants more.
    I am the winner in any event.

It is hard to pay attention to their lyrics without paying attention to how they feel about them through things like interviews, acknowledgements they write for albums, or even in conversation if you are fortunate enough to get to talk with them. Check out for instance what Cy writes about his solo album, Mayfly. He certainly believes those words are something that were meant to fit when he wrote those songs....but not perhaps forever. Cy is like many musicians, who are gifted with the ability to create music that comes from a longing deep in his soul. This is how he, and the rest of the band express themselves. What is in their heart certainly shows in their music. I think they do not take lightly the messages they convey with their work...and they believe these messages can sink just as deep into the fans who listen to it. No, it is absoloutly not true that they are just creating music to "entertain"...that is the byproduct of their expression.
    "Please take part to find your soul...read between the lines. Please take part and play your role....read between the lines"

[QUOTE]Originally posted by fixxfanatic
    [ What is in their heart certainly shows in their music. I think they do not take lightly the messages they convey with their work...and they believe these messages can sink just as deep into the fans who listen to it. No, it is absoloutly not true that they are just creating music to "entertain"...that is the byproduct of their expression.

VERY WELL DONE AND SAID,FIXXFANATIC !!!!!

I could not begin to agree more.....

I agree with fixxfanatic - What is in their heart certainly shows in their music.

I take what they say very seriously, since they discuss very serious issues in their songs that aren't often brought to light by other forms of media/entertainment, etc. In fact, one of the things that drew me to the Fixx was that Cy was singing/writing about things I was already thinking about. A lot of people think I only feel that way about stuff because I'm "heavily influenced by the music I listen to," when in fact I listen to said music because I can relate.

Briefly......

I take them seriously in two very substantial ways.

1. The lyrics do offer a challenge.
    And I love to be presented with a challenge.
    So I'm hooked right there.

2. The quality of their finished product is top-notch.
    There is no "filler" on any of their albums. And that's what I ask of an artist. Don't waste my time. Give me something that's plenty good.
    And the guys always get through to me with the excellency of their work.
    Therefore, they've not only hooked me.
    They've kept me.

Originally posted by shoeman
    ...There is no "filler" on any of their albums.
    Trying to summons xxif are ya?

You're just begging him to join us and place his 500th post

Oh-so-close to being "Fixxated."

I said:

In my opinion, their primary goal is to provide entertainment and for us to have fun. The content of their songs is serious, but I don’t think they really see themselves as the vanguard for some cause.
    Cy said on 1011 Woodland:

We see ourselves as missionaries to the great cause of Life and may it's magic steer us into a new dawning of spiritual connection. God knows we need it.

Crow with an extra helping of humble pie. Yum Yum.

The reason I started this thread is that I met Cy once and mentioned that I had seen his show the night before. His response was "Did you have fun?" I was expecting something different...

edit: But what else could he have said in that spur of the moment passing conversational moment?
    Last edited by dejapete; 04-02-2006 at 10:59 PM.

But Pete, I thought it was a great question to be raised in the first place.
    It has helped us to dig deep and give a lot of reflection.

So treat yourself to a scoop of ice cream........

Thanks, John.

I grew up in times when people were beginning to question the Establishment. It was about the environment and the war in Viet Nam. It made an impression on me.

Cy's speaks to me through his songs because he's on that wavelength. They are cynical and hopeful at the same time.

Over the past decades, there have been doomsayers with warnings, yet so far we survive. Let's continue to hope that with sane minds, wisdom, and the grace of God, we will prevail...

And so: we fans win either way.

"Did the meaningful lyrics get through to you?"
    Yes, they did.
    They made me stop and think.

"Did you have fun?"
    Oh, yeah.
    Fixx music kicks serious butt.

Hi Fixx fanatic and Jeanne.

You did not read my post fully... I said that the fixx's intention was multifold, and that entertaining people was only PART of their goal. I never said their music exists ONLY to enterain. Yes, I firmly believe the Fixx are artists, but their goals as artists can be multifold.

Do i take them seriously? Well, as seriously as anyone else's opinions that seem informed and intelligent. I seem to recall that, in the 80's, one popular magazine called them "the thinking person's band." They certainly don't tend to write things like,"lets go surfing everyone have fun ya ya ya." Over the years that i have been listening to them, i've always managed to hear songs that not only describe pretty much how i feel about something, but the music totally resonates with that as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast