Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How seriously should we take The Fixx?

Found this thread from a ways back and wanted to add my thoughts. I very much take the subjects of Fixx songs to heart (either because , as others have said, I think along the same lines, and therefore find them supportive, or because they inspire me or give me the courage to think about things and do things in a new way). In either case, I think paying attention to what they're saying/evoking has brought me to a better state of mind, and when you're in a better state of mind, having fun becomes a lot easier.

I know I'm having a lot more fun in the last few months since I've been a fan, so I'll continue to welcome the guys' inspiration!
    Maybe on course to the best yet!

Ahhh...Mitraria's old thread. Would you believe that person was pretty drunk at the time when he started it? Perhaps one of his best threads, though.

The Fixx definitely have an important message, though I see it more as social than personal. As Cy always says, "no less true today." (or to that effect, anyway)

Carrie revealed an embarrassing spelling error.

Last edited by dejapete; 06-02-2007 at 06:26 PM.

Originally posted by dejapete
    The Fixx definitely have an important message, though I see it more as social then personal.
    You have a good point there, and it brings me to another point I forgot to mention earlier. Unlike some forms of art that ask people to think, but don't necessarily require the consequence of the thought to affect others, the Fixx's work seems to have a goal of making people more aware of the lives they affect. Well, it seems that way to me, I can't speak for what it does to anyone else I suppose I see them being able to affect society by asking each person in it to think about the role (s)he wants to play, and how best to interact with others.

I feel that listening to them has made me more of a participant in life rather than going through it on autopilot, at any rate, and one consequence of this is that it's become more fun (which is good for the people around me). It helps that their music is lively or stirring (or both), and complements how the lyrics wake me up! Now if this could happen on a large enough scale, I think society as a whole would be more fun and less stressful!
    Last edited by Carrie; 06-02-2007 at 06:25 PM.
    Maybe on course to the best yet!

Originally posted by dejapete
    Ahhh...Mitraria's old thread. Would you believe that person was pretty drunk at the time when he started it? Perhaps one of his best threads, though.

I seem to remember that name being attached to a certain guy. . .
    "Even the devil may cry when he looks around Hell and realizes that he is all alone"

Acheron Parthenopaeus

(Sherrilyn Kenyon, Devil May Cry)

http://www.wordclay.com/BookStore/BookStoreBookDetails.aspx?bookid=37784

Maybe with a possible restart of a cold war the Fixx's music might apply once again.

I love the music and the messages portrayed by the band. I can't wait to have my kids who also like their music finally be able to see them in Middletown on August 2 because they will not be playing in a club.
    Is this the way of the world, to take a boy and a girl and show them lying is real!

I love the music and the messages portrayed by the band. I can't wait to have my kids who also like their music finally be able to see them in Middletown on August 2 because they will not be playing in a club.
    Is this the way of the world, to take a boy and a girl and show them lying is real!

I can certainly relate to a lot of the content of their songs, especially the more soul-searching ones...

Well, In the 80's, when my older sister was "catching" the new wave fever, I was a little "metal head", disgusted by most of the music she was listening to.

Except for the Fixx, it was the only record she played that I wouldn't walk out of the room when I heard it...

Then I started listening to the words... Ahh the words....

Changed my thoughts when I was most susceptible to influence!

Thanks boys!

"The reason I started this thread is that I met Cy once and mentioned that I had seen his show the night before. His response was "Did you have fun?" I was expecting something different... "

I think you take them too seriously! lol....

Hey! Another Winnipegger on the board! Welcome!

I've been seriously influenced by The FIXX since Shuttered Room... Whether through the thought-provoking lyrics or the incredible music, I feel that my consciousness has been lifted to a (slightly) higher level. (Of course, it could also be the massive amounts of coffee I drink... but I digress!)

My wife and I are heading out to Regina for the June 12th show, and we'll (hopefully) finally meet the band in person!

Phil.
    "Out there, there must be aliens
    Who don’t believe in aliens
    Somewhere. Believe"
    -Cy Curnin, "We Might Find It" (The Returning Sun)

Originally posted by fixxed
    Hey! Another Winnipegger on the board! Welcome!

Phil.
    Hey Phil. I would like to go to the show, I am not sure I can make it though...

People in Winnipeg apparently has great taste in music! lol...

Cheers,

Kevin

Originally posted by preciousstone75
    I seem to remember that name being attached to a certain guy. . .

I also remember that being attached to a certain guy as well.....HMMMM.
    You pass like the moon in silence
    In the warm flooded air
    Looking back to those lost opportunities
    So often missed or ignored
    A thousand times I start heading for the dawn
    Only to turn around and face this rue once more
    There 's something ahead of you
    Cy Curnin

Don't die, with your music still inside of you.

Reviving this old thread.

To me, the band's stance on issues gets more solid as the years go on. Their longevity isn't because of the money - they actually like (and believe) in what they're doing. While I agree that major catastrophes and world wars are not easy to have group sing-a-longs about, The Fixx have been the Bards that brought us to think (and rethink) about such things.
    BM
    I've been lurking...

I believe in them as a way of life. There words and music are with me at my highest and lowest parts of of my lfe. I have been a fan since 1984 and I still am. Anytime I need a refresher on the world and whats going on around me I can always count on them. They bring my world alittle more life. I expect way more out of you as fans then what I see. I thik they are amazing and I will always love them Everyone as there opinions and changes happen so roll with it and be there for them like they have ben for us. I love them and personally I miss them I am from Florida and I have been in Ohio for a while. Im dyin to see them again. They should check out a venue i columbus,ohio called the Newport its down by the college ohio state. Id KILL to see them there or any where close I miss them BAD!! By the way CY you have beautiful feet YEH its me from Tampa
    I will Always cherish you ,you are my precious stone with beautiful feet

I believe in them as a way of life. There words and music are with me at my highest and lowest parts of of my lfe. I have been a fan since 1984 and I still am. Anytime I need a refresher on the world and whats going on around me I can always count on them. They bring my world alittle more life. I expect way more out of you as fans then what I see. I thik they are amazing and I will always love them Everyone as there opinions and changes happen so roll with it and be there for them like they have ben for us. I love them and personally I miss them I am from Florida and I have been in Ohio for a while. Im dyin to see them again. They should check out a venue i columbus,ohio called the Newport its down by the college ohio state. Id KILL to see them there or any where close I miss them BAD!! By the way CY you have beautiful feet YEH its me from Tampa
    I will Always cherish you ,you are my precious stone with beautiful feet

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123