Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lyric meanings?

Question lyric meanings?

Does anyone know of anything The Fixx may have written or said in an interview regarding their lyrics. I'm interested in some of the stuff from Walkabout. "an earthly bid for resurrection could never soothe the human pain" and "We can kick off the flesh there'll be more to share"

Smile

I can't answer directly to the lines that you quote, but I know that much of Cy's lyrics have a spiritual quality to them. When I saw the band in October, I tried to ask Cy more specifically what his beliefs are, but he would only offer up that he felt the lyrics speak for themselves and that he does believe in God. I'd also be very interested in any further insights people have regarding the band's lyrics.

Talking

Insights? Well The first quote suggests to me that maybe there's some part of human nature that isn't addressed by Christianity. A pain of some sort that needs to be soothed. Possibly he thinks people use religion for different things and that it doesn't matter if the basis for a religion is true, only how it affects society and human nature.
    I'm not surprised that Cy believes in God, although I would have guess that he was Atheist from some of the lyrics in Sense the Adventure and Walkabout.

Smile

Good Topic

Yes, Walkabout most definitely has a very spiritual vibe to it. The lyrics speak of God (in the paints of Gods color code) but also allude to an Atheist slant (we are inside this is our final state) as well. I have often wondered myself if Cy was an Atheist.

What i get from Walkabout is the idea that a person should strive to understand and seek the true nature of any belief/religion/creed/pledge/rock whatever, not to be led astray by false notions.

Octo

[This message has been edited by Octopulse (edited 04-28-2001).]

Smile

It all comes from peace within.... (yourself)

will you find it in your right/left shoe????? (soul)

where you've been, where you are, where ya going to??

happy soul searching - aye?

Let see some more new tour dates... please!

Smile

While were on the subject of Walkabout have you listened to Digging Up The Rock from Missing Links? If Walkabout's message holds special interest to you then you gotta have that one. It doesnt say in the Missing Links CD jacket but judging from the title and its religious references Ide be willing to bet that its an outtake left off of Walkabout.

Does anyone know for sure?

Octo

[This message has been edited by Octopulse (edited 02-06-2001).]

Smile

I tried to ask Cy more specifically what his beliefs are, but he would only offer up that he felt the lyrics speak for themselves and that he does believe in God. I'd also be very interested in any further insights people have regarding the band's lyrics.[/B]

Just guessing...but I don't think he cares much for organized religion.

Lost In Battle Overseas deals with religion in war...one sign of the cross and you're let loose....What does it do for you...This one sign of the cross.

No fear of your ending (dying)
    Prepare your masterplan
    <<Oh God I'm>> In suspense, who, what, where and why
    I look for the connection between yourself and I
    (Questioning own beliefs)

Feel warm if you think that you know me
    I thank God when you show me
    Happy that we're just surviving
    Please take heart, you'll survive
    (shows belief here)

(Jeanette Obstoj)
    I am the stranger who deserts you only to love you in another life
    (Reincarnation)

God of Light Baron of Evil, supposed to show me hallowed ground, but these are monsters we created to civilize our primal shouts.
    (Athestic slant)

(Adam Woods)
    I dance in the surf at the edge of an ocean, could have been someone else, could have been anything at all...don't deny that you ask yourself, how do you weigh in this precious stone
    (we ask ourselves, why are we here, or what's it all for, that's what I'm thinking...heheh)

Walkabout the rock, it may give you a few answers, but don't lie about the rock
    (Don't let others tell you what to believe, go find it for yourself)

Ocean Blue...I know I'm made of you.
    (Evolution)

Smile

OK, this is just great. Some of these lyrics have caused ideas to float around in the background of my consciousness for years and I can finally discuss them people.
    Yes, it's important to explore why it is you believe what you believe. "you believe what you believe without quesiton, with waste"
    But don't expect that to necessarily give you peace of mind. It can be very frightening if you come to the realization that what you thought and the things you justify you beliefs by are not real.
    Ignorance is bliss, and self-deception...a drug?
    That's what you find when you try to enlighten someone about something you have discovered.
    Human nature and all...
    "God of Light Baron of Evil, supposed to show me hallowed ground, but these are monsters we created to civilize our primal shouts." I put this with "An earthly bid for resurrection
    Will never soothe the human pain" to suggest that there is something primitve in human nature that isn't addressed by Christian spirituality. Something primal. Freud's social animal.
    Then you go back to the quote someone gave from Phantoms about religion and war.
    I haven't heard Missing Links yet. It's in my budet for next month, though.

Smile

Very nice topic it is!

This one attracks me most and seems to be written for me:

Walkabout the rock, it may give you a few answers, but don't lie about the rock.

Like Dan mentioned:
    >>(Don't let others tell you what to believe, go find it for yourself)<<

Yes!

Various beliefs seem so different, but deep in our hearts we all know what's good or wrong. Call it God, your conscience or whatever... in my humble opinion it's not that different after all.

Respect things wich you can explain, and wich are NOT explicable. I think that's why the lyrics comprehend different beliefs.

I wonder how Cy or Adam would respond to this topic...

[This message has been edited by guido (edited 02-06-2001).]

Smile

I've always loved the words to "Treasure It"

"We'll have our turn to use what we've learned..and stand up into the light of our lives."- GREAT LINE!!

[This message has been edited by R-we-R-selves (edited 02-25-2001).]

Smile

As far as I'm concerned, belief is something that most people just don't get. People think that because they believe in something good that it's all ok. What they don't understand is....one person can ask another: "Do you believe in God?" and the second person says yes. Is it because they have family that believe in God or because they read it in the bible or some other religious book? It's like me saying I believe in George Washington because my family knows stories and he's in history books. God and religion and life to me is not about belief, but what I call faith. I think no matter how contradictory Cy can be at times, I think he has great faith in his life.

Smile

Oh yeah as far as the line: "We can kick off the flesh there'll be more to share"
    That is basically saying our flesh, which is basically selfish in nature, if people could learn to use their spirits more(kick off the flesh) and not always succumb to fleshly natures.....mankind would definately benefit and there would be more to share, we could be more truthful about who we are and definately more openminded and not hypocritical. This is very hard for me to explain, especially typing it. I hope I made my point clear. One question though......if we could kick off the flesh, would there be any wars?

Smile

I think that the lines: "Walkabout the rock, it may give you a few answers but don't lie about the rock, it gives me all the answers, don't lie about the rock." is talking about the Word of God and how we should read it for ourselves and also a warning for others not to change the meaning of it for ones own purpose.

Smile

Kat I agree with you totally on that one.

Smile

isnt' the line "this earthly bid for ressurection could never soothe the human pain" from sense the adventure?

i take this to mean with the word "earthly" in their it refers to scientists view of everlasting life which is that we live on in our offspring.

could never soothe the human pain i take to mean that this doesn't affect the questions we seek the answers to "is this all i am, is there nothing more"

"kick off the flesh there'll be more to share" from walkabout speaks of the masks we all use,

people don't perceive us how we are, the pereive the parts of ourselves we allow them to see(flesh);

if we kick off the flesh we let our true selves and are able to share more views, opinions beliefs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast