Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How I Became a Fixx fan.

Talking

Wow, it looks like many of us have a lot in common. I have been a huge FIXX fan ever since MTV played their first hits. I have almost all their CD's and they get played a lot at work...all hail mp3!!

I have seen them in concert twice, the best show was one in Indianapolis when they opened for the Moody Blues. Excellent outdoor concert that night.

This is how I came to like The Fixx. It's a true story.

I used to play keyboards in a "new romantic" band called Silent Move / UHF in Cardiff, Wales, and London, back in the early 80s. It was fun but we weren't a big name act. Our manager, Oscar Carroll, was a friend of Dennis Bovell, the well known Reggae artist and producer, who had a studio by the river Thames in the London Bridge district of South London. I remember it was next door to a Nuclear facility, power station or something like that. We joked about hoping it wouldn't blow up or turn us into mutants while we were there.

Anyway, we had recorded some demos and we went to Dennis's studio to shoot a video to accompany them. Dennis's recording engineer and his wife ran the video facility. They were a lovely couple, with whom I remember I got on with very well. Their names were Martin and Sarah.

One afternoon, while we were working on my band's video, a friend of Martin's came into the studio to visit. He was what you might call "a great guy". Enthusiastic, full of life, friendly and cool. He was in an unknown band, too. They had just finished editing the video for the single they were shortly about to release.

Martin's friend was so proud of what they'd done that he politely asked if we'd mind if we interrupted work on our video so he could play us a copy of it. He hadn't shown it to anyone else and he wanted our opinion of it.
    He was a nice guy and the atmosphere in Martin's video editing suite was great. Of course we didn't mind.

So together with Jayne (the singer in my band) and Oscar our manager, I sat down in the studio with Sarah and Martin Rex, while Cy Curnin played us the first showing of the video for "Stand Or Fall".....

The Fixx were a newly signed unknown band then, but with the hindsight of how they took off, that afternoon with Cy, and the weeks with Martin & Sarah has become a very special memory for me.

I never had any further personal contact with The Fixx. I've always loved their music, but never been lucky enough to see them performing live.

Oddly enough, I don't still have a copy of the UHF video we were shooting that day, but I've got every album the Fixx have released on CD. Thanks to EBAY, I've even managed to replace the ones I lost in a burglary 8 years ago. I worked in music until 1990, when I gave it up to start a family. Now, twenty years on from meeting Cy, I'm a happily married office manager with three great kids, and he's a star whose music I've enjoyed for years. I'm keenly waiting to hear The Fixx's new album...

Way back in 1979... I went to England to meet the other half of the family that didn't make it to the MayFlower before she set sail.
    Anyway, my family was sight seeing in Dorchester and my parents wanted to stop in a local pub for a pint and The Fixx was playing there. I was only nine at the time so it was my first concert. (Everyone remember their first concert-Right?)
    Then in 1982 my cousin sent me a just released copy of Shuttered Room. Shortly there after the band went big time and then I could purchase tapes & records of The FIXX at my local record store. (Yes, a record store)
    Well I have been playing Bass Guitar since the age of 6 and by 9 I was ready for some thing other than Bass scales. Durring the performance my father said that if I keep playing guitar and praticing real hard than maybe I could play just like that Bass player.
    That was it,for me I had my role model!
    Dan's Bass riff's are so complex and completely different than any other style I just had to learn them. I then spent many years of my youth tring to master the songs and even going so far as to purchased a black Stienbugger Bass Guitar.
    When I entered high school I auditioned for the Jazz Band workshop and "Smoked" all my competition with my style (Dan's Style)
    So when I found out that Chris was replacing Dan Brown I was heart broken!
    "Maybe Someday... I Be Saved By Zero" and get to play with the band!!!
    That's how it all got started for me-
    -The Ultimate FIXX FAN

Cool

(Belated Fan)
    T'was the summer of '82? At my best friend Tim's house in my small hometown in MN .
    We were not the popular kids. "One thing.."
    was on the radio-quite avante guard for the air. We are seniors then. Singing like fools to this new cool tune. 2 years later I am in search of myself in community college.
    School has a lounge with oversize Video screen playing MTV. -Becomes my lunchtime ritual. "Our We.." is one the most enamoring song/vids played then. I commuted from rural home with no cable TV . School is my retreat.
    -later single at age 27 & have picked up some great Fixx albums finally. "Red Skies" is the song I can turn up loud & open my windows to let the sytnth permeate the evening skies of the countryside: Literaly my neighbor is 1/2 mile away. -My Cigarette and reflection time - The Fixx music was soothing yet grandiose. I fealt a cconnection with their dreamy music being slight of build and girl-less.
    It is 2000. This weekend I saw them live for the 1st time. There syth-guitar sound still transports me. -Difference now is I'm married to a beautiful girl I used to only dream about- Was cool to see one of my idols. Rock On!

Smile

I saw them play in 84. Instant fan and still love to listen and go to thir concerts all these years later.
    rb

Smile

Early early 80's I was listening to a Dutch radio station, then it happened: Red Skies! That sound: WOW! This was exactly I was waiting for! And the lyrics were 'fitting' me! The Fixx has alway been a great inspiration to me since.

Some time after the 1st Dutch Fixx tour I joined two members from their opening act Carlene and we started the local band No Kiddin'.

After almost 20 years, I still wonder:
    when will *I* open for the Fixx? (-"

guido

http://listen.to/mejane
    Last edited by guido; 10-16-2001 at 11:44 AM.

Smile

Hello,
    My first taste of The Fixx came around 1983 while checking out my college roomates tapes while he was away one weekend. I got hooked on the first three albums the next two summers and finally got my first chance to see and meet the band in Utica NY late 84' during the Phantoms tour. I was a DJ on a local college radio station whose concert committee sponsored the band and got to meet the band at the local airport when they arrived. The first show was cancelled because Cy had a tooth abcess and some people sold back thier tickets, fools! Anyway, the boys were very friendly and down to earth, some really cool people. They had an incredible light show that night and I also remember Jamie making this huge jump off stage, guitar and all, after the encore. I drove home after the show thinking "how in the hell did he do that because that was too cool!! he must have used a computer or somethin' for that sound!, man, I gotta get an axe and a Commodore 64!!!

Ahhh such memories of youth,
    Octo

[This message has been edited by Octopulse (edited 04-28-2001).]

Wink

I think the REAL question is "How could you NOT become a Fixx fan". The nerve of these "Non-Fixxtures"

Ah yes, a lad back in 1983 I was when I heard "Saved By Zero" so I begged my Mom for 4.99 for the cassette. Loved every tune on RTB, especially "Running". I had no clue that Shuttered Room actually came out first. So I bought that and loved every song on that. Then came Phantoms which til this day is STILL my favorite Fixx album (I had 6 cassettes of Phantoms).

Here I am today and I CAN'T WAIT for West Warwick, RI. I'll be there with my Fixx T on.

See ya there!!!

Smile

I didn't come on board until after Reach the Beach was released. I think I liked One Thing and may have heard my borther play the tape or bought it myself on a whim. I can remember playing it on weekday nights while painting. One Thing got old pretty quickly. and I found myself really getting into some of the melancholy stuff like Outside.

Wink

I think it was late at night, driving in a
    car and listening to a local radio stations
    midnight album hour. I tuned in as they were airing "reach the beach" and the track "opinions". The stark imagery, melancholy, dread-drenched chord progression and eerie keyboards made me sputter "who is this? this is superior! I have to have it!". Sure enough, it was the Fixx. When I found out that it was the same band that did "Red Skies", "Stand or Fall" and the like I was a fan. Another side connection- I am a big fan of Saga and they had several albums produced by Rupert Hine - so I had to check those out too. Also, Saga, The Fixx, and Rush to some extent were and are enthusiastic users of the amazing PPG Wave synthesizer (now Rupert uses their descendents, the Waldorf Microwave) and the textures those things put out are incredible. For more info on those boxes you can see a site at www.wavesynth.com if you want more info. I guess another attractant was Jamie-West Oram - you could tell the guy could play, but he loved playing big, ringing eerie chords - he didn't sound like any other guitarist out there. Where most guys would riff power chords (which he could do), he'd often hit a big suspended 11th chord with compression, chorus and delay and just hold it down so the chord rang and give it a little subtle wang bar so it almost became a second keyboard texture to match Rupert's keys. A very cool and interesting effect that shows Jamie can play, but he tends to do what's best for the song. I love his playing on "Outside" of course. Rrrrrr!

Smile

I used to spin records at a radio station in the early eighties. I was barely 20 and playing big band and standards was not my thing but hey it was a job. The various record labels would send out material not really knowing that stations format so I made sure I confiscated all the rock and roll that came through. They were excellent mastered recordings and they made for prime listening with my friends and at parties. One of these records was "Shuttered Room". Wow! Could not get enough of it. I used to darken the room before Stand or Fall began and stroke my girlfriend to the opening chords. She soon began to request that song. Well, a couple of summers ago, I was on a business trip to Milwaukee and thought I'd check out SummerFest. I was pleased to see that the Fixx were playing a stage just before nightfall. The stage was set up right next to Lake Michigan and there was the threat of rain nearby. The show was great, the weather held off and the crowd was really into it. At the end of the set it started sprinkling and the band ran off the stage. We all hoped for an encore but figured it would be unlikely. Just like that, it stopped, the sun burst through and the band hit the stage again. I'm telling you I had goosebumps the size of mason jars when they started in on Red Skies which described exactly what it looked like behind them. Sure enough, Cy picked up on it as well and when a rainbow appeared in the eastern sky, he led the crowd in an incredible sing along to the chorus. When they ran off that stage again, the bands joy and exuberance was apparant to all. I've been listening a bit to the Fixx again as of late and I thought I'd see if they had a website. Sure enough and here I am. I only wish I would have discovered this site a week ago so I could have made the relatively short drive (200 miles) to see them play in St. Paul on Wednesday. Look forward to reading all the posts in here. Thanks for letting me pitch in.

Talking

Like many people, I first discovered The Fixx on MTV via the "Stand Or Fall" video. I was hooked instantly! Of course, the "Red Skies" video followed soon after, and I was a fan for life! That was all in 1982. 1983 brought the "Reach The Beach" album, which is still my all time favorite album. That record changed my life, and I became obsessed with the band - I started collecting all of their records, pins, pictures, etc. Every time they released a record, it was a big event for me, and it still is! I actually didn't get to see them in concert until 1991, on the Ink tour in Cleveland. I was there for a record company party, and I was lucky enough to meet the whole band, get some photos, autographs, etc. Every member was so friendly and gracious. I was working in a record store at the time, and I told Cy that I played the record in the store a lot to help sell as many copies as possible. So, when he signed my CD, he wrote: "To John! Spin! Sell Spin!" (Casual listeners may have thought he was encouraging me to help sell a certain magazine, but...) About 2 years before that, MCA released their greatest hits, which I always thought was just "OK" - I told my friends thousands of times "I would have done it differently, included the b-side "Going Overboard," etc." During the 90's, I worked my way up from record stores to a record company, coincidentally the one that owns MCA. I talked to a lot of people at the label over the years about making a new and improved "Greatest Hits." In 1999, I finally succeeded when I turned in a proposal for a "Ultimate Collection" that was approved and put into licensing only 1 hour after I submitted it! Adam added a couple of songs from the first record to my track list, wrote some great track-by-track notes, and the result has been in record stores since November of 1999. I knew that other people would be interested in having "Going Overboard" on CD, but that was a vanity move on my behalf - that one is just for me! The biggest joy was Adam's liner notes where he states "(Stupidly) we dropped this track from "Reach The Beach"..." I really just wanted to present something that was a complete overview of the band. I am, quite simply, a fan. Always have been, always will be...

[This message has been edited by SuperSurly (edited 10-27-2000).]

[This message has been edited by SuperSurly (edited 01-09-2001).]

Smile

My best friend was really into the Fixx from the beginning. I tolerated them, which is more than I can say for most other 80s music. I was stuck in the 70s and really into BOC, Kansas, Deep Purple, Rush and Styx. Then about three years ago my same friend gave me a recording of the Fixx greatest hits album and I started listening to it in my old Jeep CJ7. The album kind of grew on me and has a much more accomplished, and open minded musician, I realized how good the Fixx really were. Then Elemental came out and just blew me away. I didn't take that tape out of my deck for a month. So After that I went onto a used CD store and found Ink, again, completly blown away by the music and Cy's lyrics. After that I was hooked.

Smile

King Biscuit Flower Hour. Couldn't tell you the year. I recorded the show on a cheap cassette and listened to it relentlessly. I was so happy when years later I found that recording had been sent to CD for my listening pleasure. I drove 8 hours from Omaha to Springfield to see The Fixx on Friday. The experience was wonderful and I wish to repeat it again soon.

Smile

Now it's MY TURN to tell -- briefly, I hope -- how the Fixx, out of 100s of bands, groups and recording artists, came to be my favorite band.

To begin with: there was MTV. I know this sounds familiar, but with ME it was different. The One Thing Leads To Another video drove me NUTS. I hated it, and therefore the song. Cy in the tunnel, the dogs licking eachother's faces. I thought it was pretty dang dumb. (I don't mind the tune, now.)

THEN there was "Saved By Zero." I was only 13 in 1983, so I was impressionable enough to be converted. The song was awesome, and the video was intriguing.

ENTER Columbia House. Yes, I joined, got my 12 cassettes for ONLY ONE PENNY!!!! And Reach the Beach was one of my choices.

But the Fixx firmly took hold of my heart and fascination when I got Phantoms on a road trip from Wisconsin to Idaho as I was about to turn 14. The plains and mountains of Wyoming will always be associated in my mind with this album.

Well, after an awesome experience (and the new album look) of Walkabout, I saw them when they opened for the Moody Blues in East Troy, WI. (I left before the Moody Blues came on. I had gotten what I came for.) Then I saw the Calm Animals tour in Milwaukee in a small venue. (Man, that album was great.) I met the band afterwards.

It was then that I figured out this was my favorite band. If Men At Work were still together as originally, the Fixx would have competition for my affection. But alas, Jerry Spieser, Ron Strykert and John Rees are elsewhere (though Colin Hay has done some AWESOME solo projects, especially his accoustic albums, and some tours with Greg Hamm.)

I (like another contributor to this thread) saw the Fixx at Summerfest in Milwaukee next to the mighty Lake Michigan in '98 -- when the evening sky was stormy, the skyline of Milwaukee looked ominous, and the warm summer breezes kept us cool.

Hey -- the point of this story is, it's been fun to follow the Fixx for all these years -- to leave them, to come back, to discover new music -- and to see them personally, on and off. I talked with the band again that summer in Milwaukee after the concert. And for all of your information, I asked Cy, Jamie and Rupert to sign their favorite song in my Elemental CD jacket. If you don't know which page they turned to, do you have a guess?

Happy Landings.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast