Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How I Became a Fixx fan.

Smile

I was watching MTV in the summer of 1982. I heard this weird ching-ching of a guitar and turned to look at the television.

The Fixx video for "Stand Or Fall" was premiering and it mesmerized me. Probably sounds corny, but that is the best way to describe it.

Then they followed that up with Red Skies and I was a true Fixx fan. The first time I saw them live was in the summer of 1983 when they, and the Thompson Twins opened for David Bowie on his Serious Moonlight Tour. playing in the Tacoma Dome, the sound wasn't great (weird I still remember that), but the performance and music were excellent.

I last saw The Fixx in the fall of 1986 (87?) when they opened for The Moody Blues at the Universal Amphetheatre. That was AN AWESOME evening.

One Thing Leads To Another-every time.

Cool

I became a Fixx fan when they opened for Flock of Seagulls in 1983 at Tampa's old Curtis Hixon center (it's now a park). They stole the show, actually Cy stole the show. They should've been the headliners. I was hooked. I saw them again when they came to The Bayfront Theater and played 2 nights (I went to both shows - I told you I was hooked!) where they recorded "A Fixxmas Special" for MTV. I'm in the video right at the end where they pan the audience (I'm holding up a sign that read Tampa loves The Fixx and MTV). When I heard that they were coming with The Moody Blues I was so excited. My boyfriend thought I was for the Moody's but I set him straight (I became a Moody Blues fan after that night though). They finally came back around to my parts in 1997 I believe where they played at Ybor City's Frankies Patio. I got right up front and was awestruck at how great they still were after all those years. Jamie even gave me a pick. It was wonderful because he handed it to me over this other woman who managed to push her way in front of me and was wearing a too small top with too big hair! I plan on seeing them on 2/3/01 in Orlando for my Birthday! I think "The Fool" is the best live song to hear, but they could sing Elvis and I'd still go and cheer!

Smile

I was barely a teen when I remember hearing "One Thing..." I really liked it and I thought Cy had a great voice. Then I realized my neighbor next door had the cassette and I immediately spotted it! They were in their twenties and all I can remember coming from their apartment was smoke (cigarrette smoke...yeah that's it)and The Scorpions. I saw it in her hand and (sheepishly) I asked her if I could borrow it
    and she said "yeh shua" she was from Laos I believe. Anyway... I almost wore RTB out completely before she asked me one day if I still had it. I said, (thinking...I'm just kid... you know, irresponsible)I think I lost it! Do you really need it? She said, nah dats okay! I thought...yes!!! It's mine!! I was hooked, The Fixx sounds best with eyes closed, in the dark and with a great set of headphones! I only remember feeling bad that I wore RTB out and I actually had to scrape up some allowance money to get another one! I went back and got SR and truly enjoyed that one and kept buying every single one after that! I only lost touch when I got married in '91 and found myself busy as a wife and with school then life just passes you by all too fast! I just recently got a computer in 8-2000 and found myself going back in time and rekindling that for all I had almost forgotten! It's been great ever since! The Fixx still rocks! I am a fan for life!

Thumbs up

Wow, how I became a Fixx fan......hmmmm. The only thing I can remember is being at a friends house and hearing Stand or Fall on MTV. During that time period I was extremely concerned about our so-called "Nuclear Cold War" and what was going on at the time politically. When I heard the lyrics to Stand or Fall I almost lost it. I thought, these guys are not only in the loop, but have an awesome sound. What else can I say? The rest is history...........E

Smile

I still remember the first time I heard the Fixx. I was working nights at a Kroger grocery store. When the store was closed we the night owls would sabotage the stores radio system and tune in to KLOL 101 FM our local rock station. About 2:30 in the morning the radio disc jockey said something about playin a new song from a band he had never heard of but that he thought was pretty cool. (I wasn't really paying the dj much mind as I was totally engrossed in the overwhelming and arduous task of stocking canned butter beans at the time). Now I am a huge fan of analog synths so about oh 2 miliseconds into the song I fell madly in love with music of the Fixx. I bought the cassette "Shuttered Room" that morning after I finished work about 10 a.m.!

Smile

I've loved reading your stories. AltruisticPaul, your coincidental encounter was great!
    This is probably the longest post I've made - if it still seems short to you, you'll note how brief I usually am in other posts - so I apologize if you've read this before.

I didn't have cable like some of you until I was in my own place, so I didn't see many of the MTV videos.

It was in 1988, running my little college radio show, and I was flustered with the new demos coming in with tinned, pre-fab music. I always opened with David Bowie, but I needed a band to end the show! I dusted through the older stacks and found Reach the Beach. I remembered having liked it in High School.

After that, those who listened to my show could count on me closing with the Fixx. I bought a tape of Reach the Beach, stole the same LP from the station so no one else would steal it first, and also bought Phantoms. My college roommate wanted to shoot me for playing them over and over.

Several tapes and CDs later, I still listen to the Fixx, and finally saw my first concert this year. I guess, short of college, this has been the best year of my life, for many reasons...I'd like to think the concert helped.

Thumbs up

I too first became a Fixx fan when I saw the "Stand or Fall" video on MTV in 1982. I rushed out and bought the 45 soon thereafter. When "Red Skies" later hit MTV, I knew it was time to get the album; so I put it on my birthday wish list. I remember specifically getting "Shuttered Room" for my birthday, along with Michael Jackson's "Thriller, and "High Adventure" by Kenny Loggins.

In 1983, "One Thing Leads To Another" began to become a HUGE record in America. I very vividly remember going with four buddies to see a "monster" show at Comiskey Park in Chicago. Opening up that day for the Police on the "Sychronicity" Tour would be Ministry, The Fixx, A Flock of Seagulls and Joan Jett and the Blackhearts. I couldn't believe it! Unfortunately, we were late in arriving, and we missed Ministry, and most, or all, of the Fixx's set. However, to this day, I'll never forget driving past Comiskey Park, and hearing "One Thing Leads To Another" blasting magically through the air. It was the highlight of the day. Generally the concert was too big for my taste. The next day presented a more intimate experience for me, Simon and Garfunkel at Comiskey Park. Of course, they had a little more experience of bringing a large audience together.

Years later the "Walkabout Tour" hit the Poplar Creek venue outside of Chicago. Yes, they were opening for the Moody Blues too. It was a great show. Next year I'll be celebrating 20 years of love for my favorite band, the Fixx. Those are 20 years that I'll always "Treasure It.

OK, I know this post originated months ago, but I have just happily discovered this site and feel the need to give you my 2 cents worth, too!
    I became a devout Fixxture from the moment I heard Stand or Fall in late 1982. Those first two opening chords hit me like bolts of lightning, and I was hooked. Bought Shuttered Room and played it to death, and actually bought Reach the Beach before I had heard One Thing Leads to Another. My cheapskate father refused to get us cable tv, so I spent every moment possible at my best friend's house so I could catch a glimpse of them on MTV. Saw them open for the Police in 1983, crammed up against the retaining wall in front of the stage in the Tacoma Dome...I was gasping for air, and ended up getting pulled over the wall by the security guys while they were singing Stand or Fall. Next came Phantoms, which I believe I played at least once daily for the next several months after purchasing it, which was enough to drive my then-boyfriend over the edge. (Not to mention buying 2 large FIXX posters and hanging them over our bed... ) Joined FIS shortly thereafter, and got the nifty fan club materials, including the postcards and the interview tape, which I used to plug into my Walkman at night so I could listen to Jamie talk about knocking out his tooth with a spanner before drifting off to sleep. (Only mildly obsessed, no??) Joined the Navy in 1986 (part of the Top Gun generation...no, I have NO IDEA what I was thinking!!), so I missed the Walkabout tour, though my mother was sweet enough to forward my FIS mail to me at boot camp. I was incredibly bummed. Ended up in Dallas, Texas (yes, there are Navy bases in Dallas, even though there is a serious lack of ocean there. Go figure.) Married a sailor, had a baby. Got the Calm Animals CD, and then went to see the band at a small club in Dallas, which was an AWESOME experience. I was desperately hoping to meet the band and was very close to getting backstage, but the friend who took me to the concert had to leave, so I couldn't stay. Another serious bummer! Quit the Navy (yay!), moved back to Seattle (more yays!) Bought Ink when it was released, and then had a second child, life got crazy, and I pretty well fell out of touch with what was happening with the band until recently. Very glad to have found you, and thanks to everyone involved with the forum for being here...this is great!
    Amy

"...just put myself where you are..."

stand or fall

I was in junior high when the Fixx released "Shuttered Room". I saw "stand or fall" on mtv and had to have it. I rode my bike to a local store and picked up the album (the kids are saying what the hell is an album)- immediately recorded it on to a tape and played it in my walkman for hours every day. "stand", "Red skies" and "the strain" were my favorites. When "Reach" came out I immediately bought it before hearing any of it and was blown away by all the different material. This was from the first song to the last, one of the strongest albums I have ever heard. To this day I believe it is one of the better albums ever made. No weak songs whatsoever.

From then on I have memories of each album. Listening to "are we ourselves" while walking around milwaukee. Spending nights by a pool at our hotel in Florida listening to "calm animals". When I was in college, my walkman usually had a fixx tape in it. Remember hearing "How much is enough?" on the radio for the first time at college. My then girlfriend didn't like it. That's when I knew she had to go. When I started buying cd's in about 1990, I bought every single album again, even though I had them on tape already. Lost touch a little bit when the guys took a few years off. Recently re-discovered "elemental", bought it and didn't have much time to listen when it first came out. But upon discovery of this website and the 2001 tour, started to listen to it and find it to be one of my favorites.

Saw my first Fixx show this year in Stevens point, Wisconsin and was blown away, especially by "Outside" in the evening air. It was a surreal experience. I will always count The Fixx as one of my favorite 4 bands- the other three being Sting, Tears for Fears and Toad the Wet Sprocket. Fixx music is insightful, uplifting, soul-searching, riveting, soothing, and thought provoking.

Thanks for your music boys- it has been the soundtrack for my life so far. There is a "hollywood ending" for us- you guys are still playing.

There are some great stories posted….I can’t top them, but here it goes…

I never saw the videos and I never met them (Doh!) (See below)

I joined Columbia House back in the 80s and bought Reach the Beach. I eventually found myself buying all their album. I like their unique sound and Cy Curnin’s vocals (He’s one of the best). This is really an underrated band, and I was surprised when Rolling Stone panned them. Of all the records I bought from the club back then, I still listen to the Fixx.

I finally got to see them live in June of this year at Oshkosh, WI. I traveled halfway across the state to see them. I’m kicking myself because I got there early and saw Rupert walking around and riding on his Huffy. And I was afraid to approach him! (No one else did either. Was I the only Fixx fan there?) And you guys keep saying how nice they are!

Phantom Tour 1984 Colorado

Originally posted by Bill Osborne
    Thanks for the info on the Phantoms tour video. I plan to get it when I have the spare cash (new baby on the way in june, so the family bank account already has a big priority! ). Is this the same concert that was shot in the Rainbow Music Hall here in Denver (now a Walgreens drug store) ?
    The concert was in Boulder I believe in 1984. That concert made me a supercrazyfan. I was never the same after that concert. Hope the baby is doing well.

1984, I think....the year I discovered Michael Jordan and The FIXX.
    I was on the way to Sheridan Wyoming to spend the summer with my brother, a tennis pro...I was 14, he was 28.
    My other brother, 26 at the time, drove me to Sheridan from Tonopah, Nevada. We nearly drove straight through, and my brother, Steve, played Reach The Beach. It clicked enough for me to buy the tape. Soon, I new every word to every song, especially Opinions and Outside. From that year on, I fell in love with The FIXX and also opened my ears to other music, especially progressive rock, which I consider The FIXX to be. After Reach The Beach, I became a fan of many other bands...U2, INXS, Depeche Mode, Pink Floyd, The Outfield, Boston, YES, Santana, and many others. But, every few yrs, ironically after a FIXX release, I would find myself on a FIXX fix. I'm so totally stoked to know they are still Alive and Kicking and a new album is on the way. How Much is Enough....I could never get enough of FIXX.

BTW, I am so jealous of those of you who saw The FIXX open for the Moody Blues....WOW!!!!! 2 of my faves. I still haven't seen FIXX, but I'm seeing the Moody Blues for my 5th time August 24th, in Reno.

I first bought Red Skies when it was first released (in red vinyl) then didn't pay much attention after that (shame on me) until i saw a trailer for the UK music show The Tube. I can vaguely remember it was a video of them inside a tunnel of some kind , but it looked real cool, so decided to watch their live performance on the show.I taped it ,of course , and still have it . They were tremendous , and that made me start buying their albums and singles . I've been a big fan ever since .
    K-T

How were you introduced to The Fixx?...not personally but their music....

For me it was a cover band in my old hometown of Williamsport, PA (The home of Little League Baseball, BTW).

It would have been shortly after the "Shuttered Room" LP was released and this band that I no longer remember the name of played a fast but very good version of "I Live". I stayed until they were done with the set and asked who wrote that song and he told me and I instantly went out and bought a copy of the LP. To this day it is one of the best purchases I EVER made.

Geoff

MTV..."Stand Or Fall" video, back in 1982. I was hooked instantly.
    "I will conquer
    Space around me"

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast