Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How I Became a Fixx fan.

fishnoises Guest

MTV

I was an MYV junkie back when it was good and actually played videos. Anyway--it was "Red Skies" that got me interested, and then "Stand or Fall" video got me hook, line and sinker......I recorded every video and snippet I could, and still have the video tape!!!! Not in great shape as it is about 20 yrs old now. I should put it in our little fire safe box you're supposed to put important documents in that is still empty since our wedding. Where is that box come to think of it?
    When is a video compiliation ever going to be released??

Heck, you two are lucky....

we didn't have MTV until much later than anyone else. The only music videos that were televised in our area were on the USA Network's "Night Flight" show and an hour show that was on a station out of Philadelphia on Friday or Saturday nights....

Geoff

For me, it was Night Tracks on TBS and Friday Night Videos on NBC and Video Concert Hall that got me into them. The first thing I remember hearing by them was "Red Skies". . . I was seven years old at the time, and it kinda creeped me out. Then I saw "Saved By Zero". The rest, as they say, is Fixxtory. Been a fan for 21 years, and that is the way it's gonna be!
    "Even the devil may cry when he looks around Hell and realizes that he is all alone"

Acheron Parthenopaeus

(Sherrilyn Kenyon, Devil May Cry)

http://www.wordclay.com/BookStore/BookStoreBookDetails.aspx?bookid=37784

I was 13 years old, when I heard "Stand or fall" on the radio. I went to the record-shop the same day and a week before "Reach the Beach" must have been released. So I came back home with two Fixx-Records.

I always knew of the Fixx, but I liked the hard rock - Van Halen, Triumph, Gamma, UFO, etc. but by 1983 KISS dropped their makeup and I was more moved by artists like Jon Anderson and Peter Gabriel. Amazing beautiful. Then along came my wife and she had Calm Animals in her collection and I liked that CD a lot. Years go by, and when we split up, I got the cat, she kept the Calm Animals. Days later, someone handed me an advance copy of Elemental and I heard them sing "If you're out there in orbit alive, now's a good time to land."
    I landed.

lets see I remember this well....

I was bored one day and decided to snoop through my roommates cassettes, I found Shuttered Room and played it, and played it, and played it, and he never did get it back.....

I also remember my very first purchase of CD's was....

The Fixx - React
    Aerosmith - Rocks

I remember when I got home React had no CD inside , and so I had to go back to the mall and "React" with a store manager for a few of minutes before he gave in and gave me another copy

red stolen car- nuclear skies

uh... in a stolen car (my friend's mom's that we "borrowed" to skip school!) during an April ice storm, going to get something to eat and DRINK at our lakeside favorite: RUDY's fishfry place!

And there was a new station in Syracuse called SKY101 that was all about playing "new bands" (and not the ledzep-stones-doors- traditional safe-staple music...)

So as we cruised along the lakeshore in a stolen red 1979 Firebird we watched the sun set on the horizon across from the nuclear plant tower, ate our food and drank some type of some something that only people that were older than 19 could drink!, and heard this song with the most incredible bass thumping power, and the center section where it climaxes into the guitar solo of descending 16th notes... and we (the station faded in and out-so we had to pull over we wouldnt miss out on the DJ saying who the group was!) and it seemed like 3 days waiting for 3 more songs to pass to hear who it was!

And we then went to our local record shop (in PennCan Mall -now gone!) and bought up shuttered room with this song called red skies on it...

and we got caught for "borrowing the car" (none of us even had a permit yet!)

but it (to this day) was worth every memory/moment/cent!

And the sky101 station failed quickly in a conservative radio market, but i am convinced that their sole purpose was to bring RED SKIES to the airwaves and to my ears.... IT HAD TO BE FATE- RIGHT????

DJing days, 1983-1986

long version of "One Thing", 1983/4..I think the extended versions on vinyl were created not only for the benefit of the bars/clubs (getting the patrons so dehydrated they would purchase many drinks), but also so the DJs could leave the booth and kick it on the dancefloor (I loved doing that). One Thing was long regarded as a staple in the clubs. I always opened my nights with them.

As the FIXX tunes trickled over the radio, I was hooked. Love Cy's voice-it really grabs you

The local rock station was good at playing new stuff in the early 80's, and I had heard both "Stand Or Fall" and "Red Skies" many times. And of course, once "One Thing" was all over the place, I began seeing that video and the "Saved By Zero" video. Zero really hooked me for some reason so I got both albums and even the songbook. I even put a poster on my wall. It was only after that did I ever see the Shuttered Room videos... a local tv station decided to play videos all the time, so I got those on tape... but I never had Mtv either so I had to rely on Night Tracks and FNV and that local station (which played some really awesome stuff... I really miss that station!).

I rolled out of my tent one morning in 1983. Sunday - the last day of a 3-day Woodstock/campout-type gathering at a some farm in Central NY. The night before, Huey Lewis & News and that guy that sings "Get Your Motor Running" had headlined to a fairly large and rowdy crowd, so the morning was very quiet as the many hangovers were nursed.

The sun (and probably the obligatory morning dose of vitamin P) began to rouse me as I stumbled over to the stage area to see the next wave of bands begin. Who was this band The Fixx on the bill? I must have been 1 of only 5 people standing in the field at the time as this obviously new-wave English band began to play and the singer issued those sweet, now familiar phrases from Red Skies and Stand or Fall. It was surreal. A really nice experience.

Mid-80s...I liked their songs on the radio but didn't own anything by 'em. My brother had "RTB" but would only play the same songs in the car, "OTLTA," "SoF" & "SBZ." I once flipped the side over & "Liner" came on, which was pretty weird (I still think it's the most eclectic thing they've done), so I figured they were probably a "singles band" & forgot about it for awhile. At some point later I again flipped the tape & came across "Outside" & was absolutely floored by it. On further investigation I then discovered "Opinions," "Reach the Beach," "Changing" & was hooked...I had underestimated them big time!
    The rest is history...

oops!

Not "Liner" it was "Privilege" that freaked me out. What a strange tune, especially when Cy yelps "she has the potenceeee!!"

I love that part of the song. Wish I could view him actually doing that at that moment in time!

Had a vinyl of a fixx album can't remember which one don't have it now don't have any vinyl now. any way rediscoverd the fixx when Gary Tibbs joined. So now they have a new fan whose discovering what shes missed. going to see them at swansea and london looking forward to it

ettenaj

p.s going for broke to night cause im all alone on the board tonight.

1984, Ft. Stewart, Georgia. I was in my second year of a four year hitch with the US Army. My room mate had a copy of Phantoms, and I was looking for some new tunes. I found this tape by a band I had not heard of before, and thought what the heck, and threw it in the tape player, and that was all it took!

The Fixx have a lot of GREAT music, but for me, my favorite will always be "Facing The Wind" from Phantoms. The beginning is so well done. For the longest time, that was my alarm clock. It would lift me from my sleep, and I was ready to go! I have been a "rabid" fan of only two musical groups. The first would be the Beatles, and the second nod goes to the Fixx.
    The integrity of a man is determined by the foundation he builds with the bricks life throws at him...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast