Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: How I Became a Fixx fan.

Late 80s. I was an intern with a radio show at a college station. I was sick of what the programming director set aside, so I revised the stacks. Wedged away from site was Reach the Beach. I remembered Less Cities More Moving People was something I'd liked in H.S., so I started opening the show with the fixx every week.

I first heard them on the radio in 1983. I was 13 years old. I loved One Thing, Saved By Zero, and The Sign of Fire so much I had to have this record. As I was at Wal-Mart with my parents one day, I came across Reach The Beach. That was my very first cassette album.

A friend of mine had Reach the Beach and I liked what I heard I was already hooked on Ultravox, so I went out to the music shop looking for a copy of reach the beach but found walkabout instead and have been hooked ever since, biggest problem is we haven't had all the albums released here in New Zealand especially the later ones but thanks to this wonderful www i now have them all.

Probably 1983 or so. My buddy Tim had MTV, but we didn't have cable so I didn't. I still remember him egging me on to listen to this band on his Walkman, and it was the Fixx, and I was hooked.

What I don't rembmer is whether it was Shuttered Room or Reach the Beach.
    Mike "Sunburn" Byrne
    http://byrneweb.com/Fixx/

After hearing the first few bars of Reach the Beach--the song, I was hooked. Every sound in that song is so individual, yet blends so beautifully. Cy's voice--absolutly nothing like it! That's what started my love for the Fixx's music.

I saw the video for Stand or Fall in the early days of MTV. I immediately got on my bike and rode about 3 miles to the nearest record retailer (shopko for you midwesterners) and bought the vinyl. I really only played SOF and Red Skies, didn't listen to much of the rest until after Reach the Beach came out and I listened to the whole album and realized the Fixx was more than just the singles.

I still have the album and I think that old bike is hanging in my parents garage still. The good old days. And the Fixx is still crankin' them out. Life is good !

Ah, I still remember it like it was yesterday. It was back in 83`. I was watching NightTrax and Sign of Fire (A video that i only saw that once) was what put me over. From that point on, I bought anything i could/can find by them. I also made it my quest to learn how to play the guitar after hearing Jamies guitar work in that song. Hoping to see that video again one day soon (Hint, Hint!) LoL
    David

I remember watching the 'Stand Or Fall' video on Tv out here in 1982. Then I saw the 'Shuttered Room' album (the original U.K. tracklisting), and thought since Fixx had two x's like Foxx, as in John Foxx, the original vocalist of Ultravox, I might as well give them a try!

'Reach The Beach' was really quite popular out here, a number of my friends had it. Unfortunately, The Fixx albums dried up with 'Ink' out here, but as 'Fixxdownunder' has said, thanks to the Internet, there's nothing stopping us now!

Cheers,

Rod.

One song led to another

I think it was Stand or Fall in 82. I could believe music like that existed. Red Skies confirmed to me that something very unique was going on here. RTB and Shuttered Room were the first albums I ever really got into. What a guitar, what great use of keyboards, the lyrics, the voice. No band has ever come close.

I posted eariler on this thread saying i had a vinyl Fixx Ablum well it was Reach the Beach (mum dug through a very dusty pile of Vinyl.) Having managed to find Reach the Beach on CD. I now remember i didn't like that much (oops sorry! ) Still i now also have Phantoms and Calm Animals and i have to say that i love Calm Animals its been in the player since it arrived and will probably only come out when the new album arrives.

ettenaj

bumpitty bump bump
    In germany some people say it's like medicine. It's good against heartattack. If it is a lie - who cares?

-- Heimo on red wine

WHAT A GREAT ???????

I became a fan in 1983... I was back in Minnesota on a summer holiday. On the 4th of July, at the state capital a dj had coordinated the whole show to music... When he played RED SKIES... the whole Sky was lite up with hundreds of Red Fireworks!! It was quite impressive!! AND i remember thinking ... what a cool song.. I wonder who sings that??? The VERY next day ... I got a letter from a friend back in Seattle telling me that she went a record signing for a new group called the Fixx!!! She went on and on about" REACH THE BEACH" ... of course, she also recived a kiss form ADAM and went on and on about his Amazing blue eyes, which was the body of the rest of the letter ( I still have it, somewhere) When I got home, my Dad had got MTV for me as a surprise... I saw SAVED BY ZERO that night and I have been hooked ever since by this amazing group!!!!!

HEY DENJYER....
    Nice to see another Pacific Northwest FAN...Hope to see you at a Seattle/Portland Show

WELCOME!!!!!

stumpetty stump stump
    In germany some people say it's like medicine. It's good against heartattack. If it is a lie - who cares?

-- Heimo on red wine

Through a 4th of July celebration and a friend!!!!!

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast