Thread: "...FACING THE WIND,"

Question "...FACING THE WIND,"

WELL I'VE BEEN RETURNING TO THIS BB SINCE THE DAY I FOUND IT AND POSTED MY FIRST MESSAGE AND I AM RATHER SURPRISED THAT I HAVE HAD ONLY FOUR REPLIES TO MY FIRST MESSAGE, DIDN'T I STIR ANY CURRIOSITY AS TO THE OBVIOUS FAILURE OF THE MUSIC INDUSTRY/CORPORATE MOGULS INABILITY TO RECOGNIZE THE PASSION AND EXHILLERATING FORCE BY WHICH "THE FIXX" DELIVER "THE STUFF","THE GOODS","THE BACON","THE VERY SOUND THAT HAS CAPTIVATED SO MANY OF US AND THE GENERAL POPULUS.I FEEL SO COMPELLED TO DRIVE THIS TO MAXIMUM SPEED TO SUPPORT THIS GROUPS EFFORT AND KEEP THESE GUYS (THE FIXX)UP ON STAGE AND IN THE FOREFRONT OF MUSIC AS WE SO DESIRE, IN THIS FORUM/BB. BECAUSE WE ARE THEIR EARS AND THE PURIST FORM OF THEIR SUPPORT. AND I BELIEVE WE CAN BE A VOICE, IN NUMBERS, THAT COULD BE HEARD TO "ROCK THEIR WORLD" (THE RECORD INDUSTRY THAT IS)SO THE FIXX CAN GO ON ROCKING OUR WORLD! SUPPORT IS WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT IS'NT IT? THE NEXT TIME THE FIXX IS CLOSE TO MY HOME TOWN,ATLANTA, I WILL MAKE IT TO THE SHOW AS A SERIOUSE SUPPORTER AS WELL AS A FINANCIAL SUPPORTER IN WELCOMING ONE OF THE BEST BANDS SINCE THE BEATLES TO HIT THE AIR WAVES!!!WE ALL NEED TO RALLEY THE MASS'S TO ENCOURAGE THE FIXX TO CONTINUE THEIR ROLL IN MUSIC HISTORY.
    ALTHOUGH THE INDUSTRY SEEMS TO FEEL, THAT IF THEY CAN'T SHIP A GROUPS ALBUM "PLATINUM" THEN THERE'S NO USE IN RECORDING AND PROMO'N THEIR TALENT, SEEMS LIKE A CRY'N SHAME TO ME AND THIS ,TO ME, IS A MAJOR FLAW IN THE RECORD BUSINESS WHEN YOU THINK ABOUT IT. THIS VERY "MIND SET" IN THE RECORDING INDUSTRY HAS SENT MANY A GOOD TALENT DOWN THE "PROVERBIAL RIVER W/OUT A PADDLE" AND ITS ALL OVER "THE ALMIGHTY DOLLAR" AND HAS VIRTUALLY NOTHING TO DO WITH TALENT AND OR CREATIVE EXCELLENCE...., TWO VIRTUES WE KNOW ARE SYNONYMOUS WITH "THE FIXX"
    I HOPE THAT THIS MIND SET DOES NOT DISCOURAGE "THE FIXX" FROM PURSUING THE FUTURE OF THEIR PRESENCE IN THIS UNFOREGIVING BUSINESS. THIS WOULD BE EVER SO TRAGIC.
    SIXTY SEVEN MILLION YEARS AGO IS THE PERIOD OF TIME WE'VE DETERMAINED THE LAST DINOSAURS WERE ALIVE ON EARTH, AND IN LIGHT OF THIS KNOWLEDGE AND THE COARSE OF EVENTS TAKING PLACE IN MUSIC TODAY AS WE ARE BEGINNING TO UTILIZE OUR COMPUTERS FOR COMMUNICATION IN ALL RELMS OF EVERYDAY CO-EXISTENCE AND LIFE IN GENERAL, THE MUSIC INDUSTRY AS WE HAVE COME TO KNOW IT,HAS ALSO BECOME IT'S OWN "PROVERBIAL DINOSAUR" AND I BELIEVE IS ON ITS WAY TO EXTINCTION. SO HOPEFULLY THE FIXX WILL HANG IN THERE A BIT, ONLY TO FIND " THEY'VE COUGHT UP TO THEMSELVES" AND THE RACE IS ON AGAIN !!!!! THEY HAVE BEEN AHEAD OF THIS ERA IN CREATIVITY AND GENIOUSE INDIVIDUALITY AS A GROUP OF MUSICIANS AND I JUST FEEL THEY DESERVE A GREAT DEAL MORE RESPECT THEN WHATS BEEN HANDED THEM BY A GENERATION OF NARROW SIGHTED, MONEY MOTIVATED MUSIC INDUSTRY EXECUTIVES, WHO'S ONLY REAL INTENTIONS ARE TO LINE THE POCKETS OF THEIR CORPORATE OVER SIZED "HAGGAR SLACKS"!
    IT'S TIME FOR CHANGE ANDTIME TO RE-INSTALL THE CREATIVE SENSE OF REAL MUSIC AND GIVE BACK TO THE ARTISTS THE DESIRE TO PORTRAY THEIR TALENT AS RAW AS DEEMED NECESSARRY TO GET THE JOB DONE!!! DADGUMMIT...IM TIRED.IT'S YOUR TURN!!!!

Thumbs down

I'm frustrated as well...but it's a real tough battle. I remember Cy said (somewhere) a couple of years ago that radio is the place where the battle must be won. So I decided to try to push the airplay of TDV here in Chicago on the station that was so-called promoting their concert. I called several DJs and each had the same answer..."Sorry, we aren't allowed to play that song". The sad thing is that one of them was a Fixx fan and wanted to play it...but said they wanted to keep their job ). So I left a voice mail and emails with the program director (the person who makes these decisions)...never could get a hold of him/her. There was a smaller station where the program director was a Fixx fan and TDV was in heavy rotation for a while, but it wasn't enough. So how do we beat "the system"? Maybe some sort of organized effort by the list? Any thoughts?

Smile

I hear ya! Just letting you know that there are fans of the Fixx out there. The music industry changes and it's not always for the best.

I've been a fan of The Fixx since I was kid and my love of their music lead me to become friends with Rupert Greenall and his family(an extremly nice chap). He even wrote the music score for a short film I made recently called 'Snack Related Mishap'. If you fancy a viewing of the 90-second comedy gem log onto www.bonepuddle.co.uk and check out the downloads section (come to think of it, he also wrote the music for my trailer for 'Distress Signals' too!).

The odd thing is, I've never seen them live in concert. Not yet anyway...

Cheers,

Lee Chambers

Talking

Originally posted by signals:
    I hear ya! Just letting you know that there are fans of the Fixx out there. The music industry changes and it's not always for the best.

I've been a fan of The Fixx since I was kid and my love of their music lead me to become friends with Rupert Greenall and his family(an extremly nice chap). He even wrote the music score for a short film I made recently called 'Snack Related Mishap'. If you fancy a viewing of the 90-second comedy gem log onto www.bonepuddle.co.uk and check out the downloads section (come to think of it, he also wrote the music for my trailer for 'Distress Signals' too!).

The odd thing is, I've never seen them live in concert. Not yet anyway...

Cheers,

Lee Chambers
    hey signals, this is indy (lee jones), ya know i've been involved with music in one way or another since i was as young as 10 years old and its had a very possitive and continuouse impact on my life. probably should have pursued a career related to this industry either as a musician or a studio tech or some relative aspect of the business. unfortunately thats not the case at this time, but the ring side seat has been an education all to it's self. being involved on a higher level was ever so close as i became involved with a friend for approximatly two years that signed a small two album deal with an "indi label" "Playback Records" out of Miami Fl. in 1995/96. seen a lot of "B,S,& Tears fall and realized how complexed and fickle things can be when know ones ever heard of you and your trying to get picked up by a major label, building momentum for at least the artists' self esteem and trying to get air play on major radio stations in larger markets, it's tough and bless her heart she gave it a hundred % but was unable to run the gauntlet. didn't mean to get carried away there!
    anyway what i'm getting at is that even air play for a group like THE FIXX is hard to come by with all the commercialization of the sound the industry feels /dictates to the listener. after a single has peeked the "BILLBOARD CHARTS" i feel the record co. short sales the artist and basically controls the path of their career's by virtue of contractual control of the artists' remaining works on that album. hell...i may be wrong but it seems/sounds like a one way street in my ears.
    well enough on label bashing! it has got to be the most awesome trip to work with "RUPERT GREENALL" on that level.i mean to have him score a flick for ya has to be the best ya ever witnessed!it would absolutely be tops on my block! he has an uncanny sense of direction when he is playing/recording with "THE FIXX" and his sound is unlike any other key boardist i've ever heard before. i mean he seems to be inside the groups' mind and is able to fill the songs with a mutual passion for originality and a creative, ingeniouse interpritation of the sound they have and that has become their signature sound.man i don't dare get started on this, i could go on and on and on!
    listen, i tried to downld the clip and kept getting an "error message" so ill try again tommorow evening and see what the deal is and let you know!the next time you talk with Ruppert, say hi! i had the pleasure of meeting the band at a record outlet in orlando fl. during the "R T BEACH"TOUR AND WAS ABLE TO TALK W/HIM AND CY BRIEFLY AFTER THE SIGNING FESTIVITIES,"OUT SIDE" THE SHOP AND HAVE BEEN INDELLABLY STAMPED "FIXXED" EVER SINCE!!!!
    THANKS,LEE JONES(indy14)

Smile

Hiya indy 14!

Nice to hear from you. To comment on some of your points,... At least you get airplay of the Fixx over there. The UK abandoned the Fixx back in the 80's. I've spoken at length with Martin Stainton (Manager) and Rupert about this and once the media come up against you, it's a losing battle. The British media is ruthless. The only saving grace is that the guys can come back to the UK and no one hassles them.

Working with Rupert is great. Like I've said before, he's nice guy. It's always a blast when I pop by Ruperts place in London, because he's always so excited about letting me listen to something he's working on. He's very talented and still takes great pride and pleasure in composing despite the fickle nature of the business.

Have you got online yet to watch the films Rupert wrote music for yet? The internet is changing fast and there are still many bugs in the system. Pretty soon, things will move much smoother. I hope.

Take care of yourself!

Cheers,

Lee
    www.leechambers.com

Smile

I just found this forum. I agree, it's tough in the recording industry. The Fixx don't get anywhere close to the credit they deserve.

More power to ya, guys!