Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who do you like besides the Fixx??

Smile

I have to agree with Orobas, if you have no heard anything by Marillion or Fish then go take a listen, The Marillion stuff is easier to listen to (inc the post Fish era). Try the compilations 'Best of Both Worlds' (Marillion) and 'Kettle of Fish' (Fish). If you are a Fixx fan you will appreciate these talented artists.

Smile

I have to agree with Orobas, if you have no heard anything by Marillion or Fish then go take a listen, The Marillion stuff is easier to listen to (inc the post Fish era). Try the compilations 'Best of Both Worlds' (Marillion) and 'Kettle of Fish' (Fish). If you are a Fixx fan you will appreciate these talented artists.

Talking

Originally posted by Fatal Shore:
    Other groups huh? Well I have to agree with the guy above me, Buck Dharma is my favorite guitarist, but other than B.O.C. I like Flock of Seagulls, Church (P. Koppes), joy division, Gary Numan (esp. new stuff) I know I'm an 80's child! Cheers, Dave.
    Dave,
    Are you aware that Gary Numan will be at the House of Blues on Sat. April 38th?! There's going to be a get together before the show (6:30) in the HOB resteraunt. Will we see you there? ~Loraine

Smile

Greetings All,

I could make this into a big list but i'll just tell ya that lately ive been into EBN's Telecommunication Breakdown which includes JWO so maybe im cheating here a bit, oh well what can i say im a guitar twanger too. If you like JWO insanity guitar ala The Fool then check out his work on Homocidal Schizophrenic on this one. Plus the Bowie samples are really cool too, ya EBN's definitely hip with me.

Uh Uh Uh Uh Uhh Uhh Uh Uh Uh Uh Uhh Uhh...
    Coooool... We're A Lad Insane... ya gotta love it!!

Octo

[This message has been edited by Octopulse (edited 03-15-2001).]

Other groups huh? Well I have to agree with the guy above me, Buck Dharma is my favorite guitarist, but other than B.O.C. I like Flock of Seagulls, Church (P. Koppes), joy division, Gary Numan (esp. new stuff) I know I'm an 80's child! Cheers, Dave.

Wink

Well, after a long absence, I shall include some of my `other' favourite bands; many of these have been posted by others -- good to see!

...in no particular order...

RUSH
    Yes
    Emerson, Lake & Palmer
    Marillion (mentioned a few times here already)
    Midnight Oil
    Dream Theater
    Cairo
    Metallica
    Peter Gabriel
    Bruce Cockburn
    Gowan
    the Northern Pikes
    Spirit of the West
    Saga
    Frozen Ghost
    Police
    + some Jean-Michel Jarre for good measure...

and the list goes on...

Cheers,

Pat Durrell

Smile

Originally posted by Lady Danger:
    I like several different types of music which include: RADIOHEAD (personal favorite)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I occasionaly like Radio Head too. Besides the Fixx, I like David Bowie, Sting, The Police, Steely Dan, Little Feat, Yes, Jamiroqai, Depeche Mode, the Cure, Santana, Wings, Donald Fagan and Stevie Ray Vaughn.

Smile

My likes lean heavily to the stranger side of music. Let's see... Thomas Dolby, Coil, Frank Zappa, Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel, early Genesis, Gentle Giant, Bauhaus, Black Flag, Fear, TSOL, Throbbing Gristle, Cocteu Twins, Focus, Killing Joke (the most underrated band in the history of rock I think), Meat Puppets, Joy Division, Depeche Mode, Nitzer Ebb...blah blah blah.

Smile

Originally posted by nwdve:
    My likes lean heavily to the stranger side of music. Let's see... Thomas Dolby, Coil, Frank Zappa, Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel, early Genesis, Gentle Giant, Bauhaus, Black Flag, Fear, TSOL, Throbbing Gristle, Cocteu Twins, Focus, Killing Joke (the most underrated band in the history of rock I think), Meat Puppets, Joy Division, Depeche Mode, Nitzer Ebb...blah blah blah.
    I agree with you; Killing Joke is very underrated! If you haven't checked them out....DO!!! You won't regret it!

Smile

Count me in on the Radiohead(s).
    Otherwise my list is various from:
    1) the Fixx
    2) Sting / The Police
    3) Steely Dan
    4) Yes
    5) Spin Doctors
    6) The Cure
    7) Depeche Mode
    8) Annie Lenox
    9) Donald Fagan (ala Steely Dan)
    10) Wings (ala the Beatles)
    11) Jamiroquai
    12) Little Feat
    13) Rush
    14) Queen
    to:
    15) Dire Straits

Talking

I'll put my two cents in on this one. Hold on...this list is fairly widespread, and long. Sorry...but I am a Billboard/Top 40 Junkie; so in tribute, here are my all time Top 40 favorite artists:

1) The Fixx
    2) Enya
    3) Foreigner
    4) The Buggles (their two LP's are great!)
    5) Genesis
    6) Suzanne Vega
    7) Sheryl Crow
    8) Edie Brickell (w/or w/out New Bohemians!)
    9) Neil Young
    10) Billy Joel
    11) Nanci Griffith
    12) 10,000 Maniacs
    13) Electric Light Orchestra
    14) ABBA
    15) Bee Gee's
    16) Supertramp
    17) Human League
    18) Dire Straits
    19) John Cougar Mellencamp
    20) The Who
    21) Elton John
    22) Alan Parsons Project
    23) Talking Heads
    24) Bob Seger (his live work is wonderful!)
    25) The Cars
    26) Tom Petty
    27) The Police
    28) Pink Floyd
    29) Clannad (lead singer is Enya's sister!)
    30) Eurogliders (anyone else like them?)
    31) Kate Bush
    32) The Moody Blues
    33) Pretenders
    34) Talk Talk
    35) The Beatles
    36) Madonna
    37) John Prine ("The Missing Years"-awesome!)
    38) Sarah McLachlan
    39) America
    40) The Cure

[This message has been edited by mctalg (edited 04-11-2001).]

Wink

Hi,I'm new to this board.

*Cheap Trick
    *Jude Cole
    *Kevin Gilbert
    *The Beautiful South
    *XTC
    *Natalie Merchant
    *Kim Richey
    *Tears For Fears
    *Prince
    *Donny Hathaway
    *Mary Chapin Carpenter
    *Suzy Bogguss
    *Nanci Griffith
    *Jeff Buckley
    etc.etc.

------------------
    Kyota(JP)

[This message has been edited by Kyota (edited 04-16-2001).]

Talking

Oooh, Good Stuff!!!
    My selections....(other than the obvious)

Collective Soul
    Steely Dan (which I notice alot of other fixxtures mentioned)
    The Alan Parsons Project
    OMD
    Electric Light Orchestra
    Gerry Rafferty
    Def Leppard
    America
    The Charlie Daniels Band

and probably others I can't recall at the moment. Til next time.

Wink

oops,I forgot to mention COLLECTIVE SOUL...
    I like BLENDER very much.

------------------
    Kyota(JP)

Smile

you all are going to hate me but....my interests in music are e-n-o-u-r-m-o-u-s!!!!
    Im a A Major Jazz Fanatic McCoy Tyner,Javon
    Jackson, Freddie Hubbard, Jimmy Smith,Jimmy
    McGriff,Malachi Thompson, Kenny Garrett, Pharoah Sanders, Johnny Griffin, Dexter Gordon, Lafayette Harris, Cindy Blackmon, Curtis Lundy, John Hicks, Art Blakey, Kenny
    Burrell, Charles Earland, Chico HAmilton, Terrance Blanchard, Donald Harrison, Tony Williams, Ahmad Jamil, Max Roach, Ron Carter,
    Cyrus(like Cy of the Fixx)Chesnut, Joe Henderson, The Heath Brothers, Philly Joe Jones, Elvin Jones, James Moody...yeah "one thing leads to another"..."is that it"???...its "built for the future" and anyone who knows me, well "you know me"(will)
    Im a Major R&B/Soul Fan- Isley Brothers, Roger and Zapp, Midnight Starr, Atlantic Starr, Mass Production, The Whispers, Maze,
    Cameo, Lakeside, the Dells, Dramatics, People's Choice, Brass Construction, Betty Wright, The Manhattans, Brick, Willie Hutch,
    Peabo Bryson, ConFunkShun, Blue Magic, Major Harris, The Delfonics, Thelma Houston, Randy Crawford, DeeDee Bridgewater, Brenda Russell,
    Mary Wilson, Evelyn "Champaigne" King" The
    Main Ingredient-Cuba Gooding Sr., Ashford and Simspon, The Blackbyrds, Tavares, Tower of Power/Lenny Williams, McFadden and Whitehead, Barry White, Edwin Starr, Johnny Guitar Watson, Cherelle, Regina Belle, Patti
    LaBelle, Dynasty, BT Express, Curtis Mayfield....no... this is not "going overboard" so...just..."sense the adventure" and take "one look up"...Power Pop and emotional songwriters on the list too (screw guitar heroes) Julian Cope, The Smithereens,
    The Posies, Tommy Keene, Yo La Tengo, Teenage
    Fanclub, The Pezband, The Illusion, Golden Earring, BadFinger, Crack the Sky, BeBop Deluxe, Steve Wynn/Dream Syndicate, Icehouse,
    Midnight Oil, Hoodoo Gurus, Hunters and Collectors, The Church, Wishbone Ash, Fleetwood Mac (99% the Bob Welch Era Only)
    Nazareth, MArillion(1990-onward with Steve Hogarth) Gentle Giant, Nektar, Manfred Manns
    Earth Band, Gary Numan, Climax Blues Band,
    Bruce Cockburn, Saga(Ian Crichton is a very
    underrated player) Van Der Graf/Peter Hammill
    Spirit, Savoy Brown(Kim Simmonds) UFO(Post Michael Schenker Era) Steve Gibbons Band, The J Geils Band, The Kinks, Wire Train, Translator, Ambrosia, The Reivers, The Tailgators, Charlie Sexton(Three of the Best
    to come out of Austin Tx more so than SRVomit)10 CC, XTC, Simple Minds, Lou Reed...
    This is about 2000 releases of my 3000 plus
    Record Library (I didnt even get to my GOSPEL-which includes, The Jackson Southernaires, The Sensational Nightingales,
    Five Blind Boys of Alabama, Albertina Walker,
    Edwin Hawkins, Walter HAwkins, Dottie Peoples, The Williams Brothers(Melvin Doug and Leonard) Cleophus Robinson, Thomas Walker, Soul Stirrers, The Mighty Clouds of Joy, The Gospel Keynotes....thats about another 150 albums or so onto the vault of sounds...Just "cant finish"... Did I forget to say I "ALSO TOTALLY APPRECIATE THE FIXX" Duh- to make life brief... glad Jamie/Cy
    regrouped in 98(saw the Elemental tour in
    Memphis...guess what I taped the audio portion of the show too...nasty boy...The 1011 Woodland redux of some of their best
    toons is a very solid effort too. The 91
    release of "ink" was a magnificant accomplishment of songwriting and solid playing. Dug the group when they were on ARSENIO HALL some years back promoting "How
    Much is Enough" and "One Thing..." Arsenio
    was a kool brother...who else had on Lou Reed with Little Jimmy Scott, The Isley Brothers, Vixen, The Simple Minds,The Mighty
    Clouds of Joy and a very electic array of other profound talent to compliment the fine
    showing of the above mentioned artists.

Also, Jamie is a big fan of Nile Rodgers of Chic(and So Im I) If im not mistaken Jamie and Cy did The Tina Turner Thing with Laurie Wisefield of Wishbone Ash(Another knockout guitarist) Lastly, in the late 80s we belonged to a little fanzine/club- "lost planes" ran by two girls up in Pennsylvania.
    They had sent us a 91 sdboard of the guys in
    Germany promoting "ink" (Excellent Live Show)
    Im Going to retire and wait for a response
    "Happy Landings" OR

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast