Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Who do you like besides the Fixx??

Oops , i forgot to mention the enigmatic David Sylvian and Ryuichi Sakamoto !!!
    K-T

I'm all over the place, too

My musical tastes are extremely varied, but are much less mainstream than most of what I've seen in this thread.

The Fixx is a no-brainer, I'm a longtime fan, since the first time I heard Red Skies in like '83. Although I still listen to thier albums quite a bit, I tend to usually listen to newer music. My favorite band lately has been Death Cab For Cutie. Can't wait for thier 4th CD to come out next week. Radiohead, particularly thier last two albums, Kid-A and Amnisiac. Tool, A Perfect Circle and anything else Maynard James Keenan is involved in. Satchel, Pigeonhed, Brad, and anything else Sean Smith is involved in. Electric Light Orchestra, Traveling Wilburys and anything else Jeff Lynne is involved in. Soul Coughing and anything else M. Doughty touches. I can also blame Doughty for my becoming very into B.T. Human Drama touches my soul in a way no other band does. Other LA bands I like are Stanford Prison Experiment, Babyland, The Last Dance and Darling Violetta. Ween, The Tragically Hip and Caroline's Spine are very good on thier albums and signifigantly better live. I'm also very into E and The Eels, Lacuna Coil, Baxter, Ruby, Space, Charlatans UK, Information Society, Men Without Hats and Ivan's solo record, Nine Inch Nails, dEUS, Edna Swap, The Cranberries, Echo & The Bunnymen, Moody Blues, Ashley MacIssiac, Micheal Cretu (better known as Enigma), Black Sabbath, Local H, Pigface, Prick, Big Shot Allstar, Far, Senser, Eleven, School Of Fish (Josh Clayton Felt was awesome, may he rest in peace), Chronic Future, Ozric Tentacles, Fretblanket, Bleach, Marcy Playground, Leftfield, EMF, Plumb, Jaya The Cat, Our Lady Peace, Jars Of Clay, Sunny Day Real Estate, Everclear (preferably thier older stuff), Tripping Daisy, Stabbing Westward, Mona Lisa Overdrive, Sky Cries Mary, The Call, Burlap To Cashmere, ohGr, April's Motel Room, Steppenwolf, Gene Krupa, Glenn Miller Orchestra, Foetus, Robert Hazard, They Might Be Giants, Smashing Pumpkins, Jesus Jones, Anouk, Prince, Mellow, Artificial Joy Club, Gene Loves Jezebel, Opus III, Deep Forest, Colin Verncombe aka Black, Incredible Moses Leroy, Covenant, VNV Nation, Billy Squier (especially his albums with Piper), Faith No More, and many many others too numerous to mention.

...I've never been one to let my taste be infulenced by commercial radio airplay, and it saddens me that most people are.
    Mainstream radio sucks! http://listen.to/kukq

Oh, my!

Great group here.

Lot of Yesheads, I've noticed.
    This year, Yes put on a great show, touring with an orchestra.

Depeche Mode? Cool. I saw them this year...great show!!!

U2. Love em. Saw them again. Elevation tour rocks!
    U2 and The FIXX would be a killer line up.

Moody Blues. Super band. Seen them many times. Great professional performers. Especially like their older stuff.

I didn't notice a lot of mentions of LIVE. This is a great band that I know many of you would love. They came out during the grundge era, but are right down the lines of FIXX and U2. Also, what about Soundgarden? Killer group! Too bad they broke up.

Santana. Along with U2, Yes, Pink Floyd, The FIXX, Live, and Boston, is my favorite.

And there you go.

Some of my favorite bands which i like beside the fixx are: Neil Finn, Split Enz, Jazz Butcher, Comsat Angels, Deus, Stone Temple Pilots, Little River Band and Pearl Jam.

Atlanta, Georgia, sometimes London and Lyon

why the usual suspects of course

The Fixx (Gypsy Feet)
    Duran Duran (New Moon on Monday)
    Echo & The Bunnymen (anything)
    Mark Almond of Soft Cell (anything)
    Icehouse (Trojan blue) - let's hear it for an Icehouse reunion show opening for The Fixx sometime; I'd sell my soul to see that
    All the Cirque du Soleil albums
    Crowded House, as in The Defunct Crowded House
    Neil Finn of " "
    Tim Finn of " "
    Yes ("so satisfied, I'm on my way...")
    Leonard Bernstein
    Bela Bartok
    Dmitri Shostakovitch
    Sergei Prokofiev
    Vince Guaraldi and Dave Brubeck

But The Fixx especially, because their lyrics were smart and made you think. Their melodies were aggressive and not sparing. And the backing music was always so HAUNTING...

U2 They are the greatest band in the world!!!!!!!!!

Talking

My Top 5

Simple Minds
    Fixx
    Icehouse
    Gary Numan
    Ultravox

Other in no particular order:
    Big Country, U2, Saga, Rush, INXS, REM, Silencers, Roxy Music, Talk Talk, Alphaville, Crowded House/Split Enz/Finn, Wall of Voodoo, Oingo Boingo and a lot of other rock/pop/wave-stuff from the early 80s/end 70s like Chameleons, Church and so on.

"New" artists/bands... Live, Dave Matthews Group, Collective Soul and some other college rock.

Cheers

More or less in order from the top:

Skinny Puppy
    Radiohead
    Cranes
    Jeff Buckley
    Fixx
    Dead Can Dance
    Daisy Chainsaw / Queen Adreena
    Rise Robots Rise
    Bill Connors
    Yes

In no particular order:

Curve, Big Wreck, Low, Morphine, Tenacious D, Ozric Tentacles and Phish (both in small doses), Dr. Nerve, Sky Cries Mary, John Zorn (Naked City), Beastie Boys, De La Soul, Portishead, Rachel's, Pearl Jam, Brad, Japan, David Sylvian, Mick Karn, Brand New Heavies, Groove Collective, Renegade Soundwave, Snakefinger, Machines of Loving Grace, Thrill Kill Kult, Cocteau Twins, Bloc, Sugarcubes, Miranda Sex Garden, Mr. Bungle, Wendy & Lisa, Nikka Costa, Sade, Kid Creole & the Coconuts, Terence Trent D'arby, Jonatha Brooke, Dada, Tears For Fears, Soundgarden, Col. Bruce Hampton & the Aquarium Rescue Unit, Duran Duran, Jane's Addiction, Mazzy Star, post '81 King Crimson, Steely Dan, Tool, Wang Chung, Rage Against the Machine, Vast, Sting, Supertramp, Autechre, Fluke, Future Sound of London, Material, Voices of Kwahn, Kruder & Dorfmeister, Steve Khan, and Itchy Fingers.

And that's just off the top of my head.

Used to be a big fan of 'the Artist's' music, but disliked everything before 'Diamonds & Pearls'. After he declared "Prince esta muerte" I thought: "Good!" and went to see him live. About all he did was 'the hits' up through Purple Rain <gag>. What a sellout. Sold all his CD's the next day & haven't listened to him since.

Surprised to see several Skinny P industrio-electrofreaks out there who are also Fixxtures. There's just no understanding some people.

Big Country
    The Fixx
    XTC
    The Who
    Rush
    Talk Talk
    The House of Love
    Husker Du/Bob Mould
    Manic Street Preachers
    The Church (new album in Feb.)
    The Chameleons (new album out now)
    Buzzcocks/Steve Diggle
    The Jam
    David Sylvian/Mick Karn/Japan
    China Crisis
    The Devlins
    Joe Jackson
    Men At Work
    A Flock of Seagulls
    Danny Wilson
    The Blue Nile
    Mr. Mister
    The The
    The Police
    Simple Minds
    Naked Eyes
    Wall of Voodoo
    Crowded House
    Wang Chung
    & John Cooper Clarke!

The Silencers?????

Wow! I have every cassette of theirs. Fantastic band. Extremely unrecognized and underrated. And, now, nonexistent. I recently tried to order a CD of theirs and found out they no longer exist. In fact, another band has stolen the name and is putting out total garbage music.

Anyways, I was totally surprised to hear mention of The Silencers.

HEY ALL, JEFFERSON STARSHIP>>>>>>>>>>PAUL KANTNER LIFTED THE REAL SHIP FROM THE ASHES 10 YEARS AGO & THEY ARE STILL GREAT!!!!!!!!!NOT THE MICKY THOMAS{POP HITS}STARSHIP.>>>>>>>>>>.I THINK PAUL&CY ARE ON THE SAME PAGE,I LIKE TO SAY THINK MUSIC....MY 2 CENTS! GEE-BEE
    Gee-Bee

My favorites besides The Fixx:

1) The Flower Kings

2) Yes

3) Genesis

4) Marillion

5) Icehouse

6) Jethro Tull

7) Kansas

8) Gary Numan

and a host of others. Those of you who have never heard The Flower Kings you should check them out - they are Swedish progressive rockers and sound like a mix of Genesis and Yes and Rush!

Dave

THE ALARM

I think that their Guitar player has a similar sound to Jamie (not as good, but similar). They aren't my favorite band, but I think they never got their dues. I am also a big Yes fan. I would love to hear The Fixx cover "heart of the Sunrise".

OTHER BANDS

NUMBER ONE IS THE FIXX,BIG SURPRISE. I LIKE TOO MANY TO MENTION, BUT THESE ARE MY FAVORITES. I LIKE JOURNEY, BUT I LOVE STEVE PERRY'S SOLO WORK! LATELY IT'S BEEN NOTHING BUT COLLECTIVE SOUL. I'VE JUST ABOUT CAUGHT UP WITH THEIR EARLIER STUFF. HONESTLY, COLLECTIVE SOUL FLOATS IN THE SAME BOAT AS DOES THE FIXX! I'M FOND OF MARILLION AS WELL. THEY ARE AS BRILLIANT AS THEY ARE OBSCURE! LET'S GO. DEF LEPARD,SCORPIONS,ACDC,CARS,OMD,B-52'S,DEVO,PINK FLOYD,TALKING HEADS,TOOL,10000 MANIACS,ON AND ON AND ON

OYHER BANDS

NUMBER ONE IS THE FIXX,BIG SURPRISE. I LIKE TOO MANY TO MENTION, BUT THESE ARE MY FAVORITES. I LIKE JOURNEY, BUT I LOVE STEVE PERRY'S SOLO WORK! LATELY IT'S BEEN NOTHING BUT COLLECTIVE SOUL. I'VE JUST ABOUT CAUGHT UP WITH THEIR EARLIER STUFF. HONESTLY, COLLECTIVE SOUL FLOATS IN THE SAME BOAT AS DOES THE FIXX! I'M FOND OF MARILLION AS WELL. THEY ARE AS BRILLIANT AS THEY ARE OBSCURE! LET'S GO. DEF LEPARD,SCORPIONS,ACDC,CARS,OMD,B-52'S,DEVO,PINK F
    L
    OYD,TALKING HEADS,TOOL,10000 MANIACS,ON AND ON AND ON HOW COULD I FORGET? U2,ICEHOUSE,YELLO,XTC,

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast