Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Read any good books lately?

Read any good books lately?

Seems the board's gone dead again. Is everyone still recovering from the long weekend?

So what's everybody reading? I read a fair amount, especially in the summer, and I'm always looking for book recommendations.

I'm currently reading Life of Pi, which I'm finding very entertaining so far. I'm only about 75 pages into it, but it's pretty promising.

Before that, I read Survivor (by Chuck Palahniuk--the guy who wrote Fight Club). Very bizarre, as I expected, but a fun read if you're not easily disturbed. I read Choke (another Palahniuk book) last summer, and I liked it better. It had one of the funniest chapters I've ever read in my life.

I recently read Shopgirl by Steve Martin. Great book! Easy to read. Easy to picture exactly what is going on as Steve has a talent for painting the scene. FUNNY too!

I actually read Shopgirl last year and really enjoyed it. Steve Martin is a comedic genius, no matter what the medium. He hasn't written any other novels, has he?

Lightbulb Angelina

Oh so you are from Champaign. . . I live in Kankakee! I never expected to find someone so close to home in a place like this!

I am a total fan of Anne Rice and Steven Spruill. I just finished reading "Lasher" for the umpteenth time and a half. I have Spruill's "Rulers of Darkness" and also just finished Y Blak Moore's "Triple Take". It is an awesome read about Chicago. Definite must read there.

So is it hot enough for ya?

I haven't looked for other novels by Steve Martin but he does have a book called Pure Drivel which is a collection of shorts that he wrote that appeared in the New Yorker magazine.

Althogh entertaining, Pure Drivel is nowhere near as good a read as Shopgirl. MO of course.

Steve

I read that they are making Shop Girl into a movie. Here you are talking about books and I'm already recommending the movie!
    Read it before it hits the theatres!
    My favorite authors spy-tech-thriller novels. Payne Harrison. I believe he has only published 4 books, but I hope he is working on a fifth.

Boooooks.

From the Holy Mountain-William Dalrymple is giving me food for thought. One of those books that reminds me that I actually know very little. History deals the cards in the present kind of thing.

I just gave ah away Snow Crash ( Neil Stephenson ) before I'ld had the chance tah finish it ; Mona Lisa Over Drive + Virtual Light + Burning Crome ( William Gibson ) ; I am chew'n on ( my fav. )
    Asimov's Robot Dreams + ah few others .... but what's got me is
    my roomie's book called A fairie Tail or some such ... an .. ah it's
    kY-nah SPOOKIE ... I'm prep'n for the ren fair out here so the lore
    is well disconcerting at best . ( Pict'ish )
    I called Times 0ut !

Originally posted by pipsqueak
    I just gave ah away Snow Crash ( Neil Stephenson ) before I'ld had the chance tah finish it ; Mona Lisa Over Drive + Virtual Light + Burning Crome ( William Gibson ) ; I am chew'n on ( my fav. )
    Asimov's Robot Dreams + ah few others .... but what's got me is
    my roomie's book called A fairie Tail or some such ... an .. ah it's
    kY-nah SPOOKIE ... I'm prep'n for the ren fair out here so the lore
    is well disconcerting at best . ( Pict'ish )
    OMG!!!!!!! ASIMOV!!!!! I thought I was the only one who still read ASIMOV! Oh man, the "I Robot" series????

But since you like sci-fi, I suggest you check out these short stories. . . "Visit to a Small Planet" and "Flowers for Algernon". I found them interesting. . .
    "Even the devil may cry when he looks around Hell and realizes that he is all alone"

Acheron Parthenopaeus

(Sherrilyn Kenyon, Devil May Cry)

http://www.wordclay.com/BookStore/BookStoreBookDetails.aspx?bookid=37784

Asimov is Sooo00000000 yummmie
    yah should see robot DREAMS ! The cover an everah thing !
    flash Ah ahhhhhhh
    Last edited by pipsqueak; 07-18-2003 at 04:19 AM.
    I called Times 0ut !

Just finished "Hey Nostradamus!" by Douglas Coupland, my favorite author. Of course I loved it!

Also great: "Songbook" by Nick Hornby.
    "I will conquer
    Space around me"

I just finished Douglas Adams' "A Salmon of Doubt". It's a dang shame he died as young as he did. I am going to have to dig out the Hitchhiker's novels and read them again. Next up Bruce Campbell's "If Chins Could Kill - Confessions of a B-Movie Actor". It will be interesting what the actor who played Ashe in the Evil Dead movies has to say.

Geoff

yeah Dougie wougie .... Ohhh so flip'n funny - A viable tactic ....
    make um die laugh'n !!! I went out ...the other night ... in drag ..
    an ah .. Oh yeah books ... well I picked up ah great learning tah speak Japanese book and the service I get now WOOOO hooo!
    pro. > soo me mah sen .....trans . - excuse me ! works like ah charm ! my spelling will be off .. but ah - hear-ah gah-nah , cat-ah-can -ah , & cahn-gee .... I can't ah-cahm-plish on my keyboard.
    I called Times 0ut !

Timeline - Robert Creighton

Just finished this book which is Ironic the movie is coming out late November and I wasn't even aware of that. Now I'm really excited to see it. Not sure if anyone's read it but it was regarding time travel (or traveleing to a parallel universe). Took me a while to catch on. I'm not the brightest bulb on the lead, ya know?

Go see the movie although I suggest you read the book first. Makes you that much more excited for the flick.

Take Care

Phil

Re: Boooooks.

Originally posted by Mmmmm.
    From the Holy Mountain-William Dalrymple is giving me food for thought. One of those books that reminds me that I actually know very little. History deals the cards in the present kind of thing.
    This short note I found intriguing enough to obtain From the Holy Mountain. It was not an easy acquisition either, I had to import the book from England. I'm about 1/3 through and I must say one does ponder the "why?" of it all (life, that is)

Read and be humbled upon discovery of what others have gone through (specifically death via massacre). As Mmmmm. suggests, find out how little you know - read From the Holy Mountain.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast