Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Read any good books lately?

fishnoises Guest

"Oryx and Crake" great book

Don't you hate it when you finish a good book? I just read Margaret Atwood's "Oryx and Crake". If you like science fiction, this will fit the bill (sort of). It is futuristic in setting, but also really comments on the times we are living in now, and where we are headed (with science, gene splicing and pharmaceuticals.) Has anyone else read this, and do you have any good new books to recommend? Thanks!!
    I am about to have my fourth child any day now, and I need something to read while I'm nursing in the wee hours of the night........
    Caroline

Read The Bible Code and The Bible Code II

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King

Great book

Clive

Just started "It" by Stephen King pretty good so far

Clive

Big Fish. I wanted to read it before I saw the movie. It was touching-- about a father/son relationship. Haven't seen the movie yet.

I recommend "This Side Of Paradise" by F. Scott Fitzgerald. It's my all-time favorite book. Classic stuff.

The subject line of this thread brings to mind a Star Trek quote:

Q to Worf - "Eat any good books lately?"

Back to your discussion...

Originally posted by deBASHmode
    The subject line of this thread brings to mind a Star Trek quote:

Q to Worf - "Eat any good books lately?"

Back to your discussion...
    Another Star Trek fan.. most excellent!

As far as books go, I am looking for Bernard Goldberg's "Arrogance" and Sean Hannity's "Deliver Us From Evil" to place on my bookshelf.

And I am writing a book of my own - "beyond Elsewhere: A Crescendo of Color"

Hopefully, I will have it finished and out on the street by fall of this year. More details to come later.
    "We should really make a copy of your brain pattern at some point." -- Number Six (Battlestar Galactica - 2003)

Read any good books lately?

.Yeah, I know we've done this to death, but I couldn't find the old posts.

Over the weekend I was at a resale shop and found a leatherbound goldleafed complete collection of poems and tales by Edgar Allan Poe. That one I hope to pass on to my son one day with the hopes that he will value it.

I just completed The Coldest Winter Ever by Sista Souljah. She really did a fine job as a first novelist. She usually is an activist and does speeches on various topics from AIDS to underfunding in inner city schools (yeah, and nowadays ALL schools are underfunded!).

E. Lynn Harris never ceases to amaze me. I read all of his novels back in the spring. He's the kinda writer than can touch you whether you are male/female, gay/straight, because he writes from his heart. He uses various characters that many can identify with and his storylines are realistic.

If you can find the Erotic Sleeping Beauty trilogy written by A. N. Rocquelaure, I highly recommend it! Anne Rice will knock your socks off. I loved these even more than her original works. . .

Triple Take by Y. Blak Moore- an immensely impressive first novel if you are interested in Chicago stories.

Fat Tuesday or any of Sandra Brown's work is always good.

Scott Turow- have a lot of his on my shelf that I am dying to get into when I am done with the Poe collection.

Anthony Robbins- okay, the man himself got me. It's a long, complicated story. . . think the worst, because you're probably right!

I found a few more old paperbacks from my high school days- Richard Peck's Are You in the House Alone? and a Paul Zindel that I actually had missed called The Undertaker's Gone Bananas and one by Ayn Rand that I haven't read called Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology. I expect her to expound on her theory of Objectivism and plan to take lots and lots of notes while I'm reading it. It's only 162 pages, but with all that she's talking about, I fully intend to examine it carefully.

What's on your coffee or bedside table?
    "Even the devil may cry when he looks around Hell and realizes that he is all alone"

Acheron Parthenopaeus

(Sherrilyn Kenyon, Devil May Cry)

http://www.wordclay.com/BookStore/BookStoreBookDetails.aspx?bookid=37784

I just got done reading "The Green Mile" by Stephen King.. I think that it was much better then the movie

Clive

Originally posted by Clive3
    I just got done reading "The Green Mile" by Stephen King.. I think that it was much better then the movie

Clive
    Hey Clive,

Good good choice. Not many books can make me cry but this one had me crying for like a half hour straight. Well the movie did too but then I'm a sappy chick, what can I say?

Books...books...yes! I've just recently finished reading:"How To Make Friends And Influence People As A Sure-Fire Way To Fulfill Your Dark-Lord Prophecy". It was written by Anonymous,who's been writing,I think,for some millenia now,if I'm not mistaken;I don't think there's many copies in existence;hell! I might have the only one for all I know! Geez! that would be so excellent and stuff!

I'm rrreeeaally starting to feel better about myself and future(world take-over).

Hmm. . . scary. I think I need a do-it-yourself manual after yesterday. We cut out a doorway in my house to make another livingroom, so we could turn the existing one into a ground level master bedroom. Spent all day trying to get the dust off of EVERYTHING!!! and have to paint the room today. Anybody got a price on that TIME/Life series???

And here's another one that is constantly a bestseller (seriously!)- The Bible. King James version. Got a few of those. Plan to go back to studying it the way I'm supposed to immediately.
    "Even the devil may cry when he looks around Hell and realizes that he is all alone"

Acheron Parthenopaeus

Well this being Presidential election time...

I have been catching up on my political reading.

I am in the last third of Al Franken's "Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them" having just finished Ann Coulter's "Treason". Nothing like a balancing act of a Conservative book followed by the definitely Liberal Al Franken. Both have been very interesting but what I really crave is a moderate who writes and can put it to both sides. It probably doesn't exist but hey a guy can dream.

Geoff
    "I knew a transsexual guy whose only ambition was to eat, drink, and be Mary." ~ George Carlin.

I just finished Thugs and the Women Who Love Them by Wahida Clark. . . it was about 200 pages, but I was most definitely impressed!!!!!! She didn't miss a beat, and I am hunting high and low for the sequel Every Thug Needs a Lady !

Currently reading Take It Like a Man , the autobiography of Boy George. There are some awesome photos in it, and they are all black and white! He is extremely photogenic, even without makeup! I just got it Monday and I am already half done with it. It's hard to put down!

Also just finished Native Son by Richard Wright. Classic.

Acheron Parthenopaeus

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast