Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Read any good books lately?

Very well then... When's that magic birthday coming up? Mine's not till next August (Shhhhhh). I'd sure love a Steinberger right about now. It must hurt to think about that. I used to have a $3000 trace elliot set up- sold it for $800. It still hurts.

I know how you feel Cygnet, Used to own a Steinberger bass back in 1985-87. Wish I had never been stupid enough to sell it

Oh Alanna, you must be as busy as me! I was actually talking to you with that last post because you told me you used to have a Steinberger...No worries...

Re: Re: Ooops!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by preciousstone75
    [B][COLOR=firebrick]Yep!! He sho' did!!!

I haven't been mistaken for a "He" since I swam my mama's womb. But since you had no way of knowing that, I forgive you!
    Hope you won't be as disappointed as my dad was...

Re: Good Books

Originally posted by Cygnet
    Anyone who is a musician should read Sting's autobiography (if they haven't already) called "Broken Music: A Memoir. It's really fascinating!

Prescious, that's really cool that you have friends who are authors. I read once (ironically, in a book my friend wrote) that a woman isn't fulfilled till she's 1. given birth 2. written a book and 3. ??? I don't remember... anyway, about Poe... my favorite poem of his is "Dreams."

I think it's sad that so much is spent on the 'red tape' end of education and our kids still don't even get the basics like great literature. When will the experts figure out that you learn more by reading and writing than you do by analyzing? Well,the good thing about it being up to us to enlighten our kids is that it forces us to stay in touch with the good stuff (like the Fixx).
    Cygnet, You need to post a reply on the "any musicians out there?" thread
    Look on the second thread page.

Re: Re: Re: Ooops!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cygnet
    [B]
    Originally posted by preciousstone75
    [COLOR=firebrick]Yep!! He sho' did!!!

I haven't been mistaken for a "He" since I swam my mama's womb. But since you had no way of knowing that, I forgive you!
    Hope you won't be as disappointed as my dad was...
    Oh, my bad! I meant Sting sho' did play jazz first- ROLMFAO!!!!!!!!! My bad- me sorry!!!

Oh, you makes me laugh!!! Yer' kewl!!!!
    "Even the devil may cry when he looks around Hell and realizes that he is all alone"

Acheron Parthenopaeus

(Sherrilyn Kenyon, Devil May Cry)

http://www.wordclay.com/BookStore/BookStoreBookDetails.aspx?bookid=37784

Still got my Steinberger and my Trace rig - I'm not much good at selling stuff, I'm a hoarder! Bought new strings for the 'Berger from eBay the other day, its first new set for years. Not that easy to get double-ball-end strings these days. The flightcased Trace is still towering ominously in the boxroom... shameful really

Recently read a Stephen King/Peter Straub collaboration called "Black House" which was pretty good. And re-read one of my favourites, David Niven's "The Moon's A Balloon".

never wanted to sell my gear. My husband's the one who listed it. He's a musician too and turns his gear around like crazy. Of course we DID have 3 kids at the time and the Trace stacks -I mean cabinets- were serving as end tables and we WERE trying to scrounge money for a down payment on a house... ... they were pretty hard to lug around too and I wasn't the one who had to carry them ...
    So... I'll stop pouting now and go count my billions of more important blessings

...but what about those pretty green lights? ...SLAP!

I'll look for that thread, Skip. Thanks.
    Last edited by Cygnet; 10-08-2004 at 04:06 PM.

I am currently reading Pope Joan .. intresting,.. about a women who disguised her self as a man and climbs the ranks of the Catholic church .. supposedly, there is eveidence to support this as truth ..Possible.. but considreing that most women,outside of the Virgin Mary, were resorted to the "cheap seats"... I am not to sure about the truth of the matter .... and I am not even Catholic(any more)

I am a huge fan of the late Douglas Adam and I am re-reading 'The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy' A trilogy in five parts...Absolutely brilliant, and no matter how many times I have read all the books, they never cease to amuse me and make me laugh.
    Douglas is deeply missed since he departed suddenly back in 2001 He is most definitely my favourite writer

Alannah, are you listening to the radio adaptation of "Life, The Universe And Everything" (new series) on Radio 4 at the moment?

Angels by Billy Graham. This book gives it to you straight from the Bible. It is very easy to read, and very interesting. It has helped me understand things a whole lot better.

-mctalg

Originally posted by smarthound
    Alannah, are you listening to the radio adaptation of "Life, The Universe And Everything" (new series) on Radio 4 at the moment?
    I have been meaning to, but I keep forgetting when it's going to be on! It may be because I never listen to the radio anymore, but I'm looking at Radio 4 schedules as I type this, and hopefully I will remember next time is on. I know the original book actually started as a radio series, though I have always preferred books over anything else.

I LOVE Douglas Adams too! I've read and loved all his books except for maybe "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency." It wins the prize for being the only book I finished reading and had no idea what it was about. Generally it takes me a couple of weeks to recover after reading one of his books: I keep expecting Elephants to drop out of the sky or something completely outlandish to happen. I love it! I need to read them again.

Douglas had a very surreal way of looking at things. Glad you liked his books Cygnet. I love the Dirk Gently books also.
    A more serious book, though still funny, is the one he co-wrote with zoologist Mark Carwardine, called 'Last chance to see' it was written when he went on an expedition with Mark to investigate what is happening to species that are most endangered, hence the sad name of the book.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast