Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Read any good books lately?

You know, I don't seem to have the time for books any more. But, when I was young I was obsessed with reading books - very obsessed - anyway, my favorite book back then was Shirley Jackson's "We Have Always Lived In The Castle". I really want to re-read it. Has anybody out there ever read it - or any of her work?

Originally posted by pippi617
    .... my favorite book back then was Shirley Jackson's "We Have Always Lived In The Castle". I really want to re-read it. Has anybody out there ever read it - or any of her work?
    I've read 'The haunting of Hill House' Have always wanted to read more of her work, but have never gotten around to doing it yet.

???

You know, I don't seem to have the time for books any more. But, when I was young I was obsessed with reading books - very obsessed - anyway, my favorite book back then was Shirley Jackson's "We Have Always Lived In The Castle". I really want to re-read it. Has anybody out there ever read it - or any of her work?
    Nope, not yet...

Oh, I love HER!!! I had The Lottery and her short story Charles was one of my reading assignments in school. . . and The Haunting of Hill House as well as the afore mentioned made excellent films!
    "Even the devil may cry when he looks around Hell and realizes that he is all alone"

Acheron Parthenopaeus

(Sherrilyn Kenyon, Devil May Cry)

http://www.wordclay.com/BookStore/BookStoreBookDetails.aspx?bookid=37784

Bash - do you also like detective books? As a child I read all of the Trixie Belden series (started in 3rd grade)- then, of course, on to Nancy Drew. I read the entire Nancy Drew collection during my 13th summer. (what a nerd!) I was so fascinated with books - I tried to read at least one per day! I've done a little writing over the years. It is all contained in this big box!! Which I will hope to uncover during my move next week - maybe then I will write once again. Or post a few more on my poems.

Pippi

I really didn't read lots of those books when I was growing up. I enjoy things like Caleb Carr's The Alientist and The Angel of Darkness - investigative thrillers heavy on the psychology.

But most of the time when I read, it's a biography...

Hmmm

So, the interest in books came as an adult?

I don't really read much anymore. No time. Except for James Redfield. I love his insights!!

Oh there have always been books, but outside of the Little House on the prairie series, my book reading as a kid was pretty geeky. Thunderstorms, tornadoes, hurricanes, astronomy. I've read some Star Trek novels in my lifetime...and the whole Dune series by Herberts Frank and Brian. And recently, all the Harry Potter books...

Hmmm...Fascinating...

Well, I went through a few of the Hardy Boys, Narnia, a couple of the Star Wars off-shoots, and a few fantasy books (names escape me now), as a kid. Oh yeah, "Final Countdown" (I thnk) with the modern aircraft carrier going back to WWII.

My biggest problem has been finishing them. I've finished the Hobbit, but less than a third of the Lord of the rings (18 yrs ago), a couple of half Ludlums, and even a few chapters of Roy Keane's autobiography.

I've always enjoyed reading, but there's always something else to do that distracts.

On the subject of reading . . .

Yes, Bash - I also read all of the Laura Wilder books - 2nd grade. I think. But, junior high & very early high school took me in to Alfred Hitchcock magazines. I don't think I have ever met anyone else who also read those. My mom used to get them for me - from where - I do not know! I read hundreds of books as a child - many as an adult. Perhaps then, my goal for 2005 should be to read books once again. To find the time . . . and then take it . . . My overall goals - to buy a baby grand - I played piano as a child (and the clarinet!) - and I want to re-learn it and focus on classical piano. Mmmmm - such a lovely sound. And to re-read Shirley Jackson's "We Have Always Lived In The Castle". Is Shirley Jackson still the only person to be convicted of witchcraft in the state of California? And yes, one day to publish the many,many works which lay in the hallowed box in the shed. . . .

Pip

You could buy the Alfred Hitchcock magazines at the magazine stand in the grocery store. That's where I used to buy mine. As far as I know they don't make those any more, but that is too bad. I love the short story format.

the

Alfred Hitchcock

Speaking of Alfred Hitchcock, does anyone remember his "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" programme on the telly? I remember seeing re-runs of it when I was a kid. That man was a genius, I recently watched a documentary about his life on the BBC, brilliant.

oops...I know this is a thread about goals so apologies for going off subject!

Oooooh - yes - I loved "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" watched it often as a young one - later I graduated to "Night Gallery" (of course - Twilight Zone!)

Maybe we should have a goal to bring back better television!! As well as music!!

Oooooh - yes - I loved "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" watched it often as a young one - later I graduated to "Night Gallery" (of course - Twilight Zone!)

Maybe we should have a goal to bring back better television!! As well as music!!
    Yes Pippi! I agree. I remember Night Gallery also, very good, and who could forget the Twilight Zone!

Yes, Bash - I also read all of the Laura Wilder books

ME too!! I loved the Little House on the Praire series.. I read them over and over... I tried to get my little cousin into them and she thought they were boring!!! WHAT!!! different times, I guess!!

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast