Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What is your Favorite Fixx memory??

Isn't it time to revive this old thread?
    I can still remember "Friday Night Videos" and seeing "Saved by Zero" - (or was it "One Thing..."?) regardless, that was cool, had stayed up late for the occasion (back when I wasn't allowed to stay up so late...)
    BM
    I've been lurking...

A sort of place you don't often find. A quiet room to go out of your mind.
    In 1986, liking them because of Secret Separation, then realizing these are the guys who gave us SBZ & Red Skies…and loving them there after. Hearing them on the radio or MTV anytime, then or now is always a rush of happiness. Hearing deeper cuts on the radio- even better.

Fave concert moment would be my first Fixx concert in June 2009. There was other live music in the way at the Fairfax Fest as we were making our way from the other side of the fairground. I heard a few distinctive notes from JWO, and we ran until we could see the stage and caught most of sound check. Cy was last to come out for sound check. Once they were all up there together- The Fixx, that was an awesome moment. It was unbelievable after so many years of listening to be able to hear the same guys from 1986 (and earlier) together. And to have them play The Fool at that show : )

The whole 2010 Busch Gardens deal-every minute of it- spending time with fans and the band. That trumps anything else, even beyond category Fixx. Would be my relive this moment request. It’s hard to believe that weekend. IDK who gets credit for two days, two shows and the band’s hospitality to all of us, but total blessing, total dream.

Getting to meet them all- I can’t express it to them in person, but it’s funny that you all get the same surreal euphoria at shows and meeting them.. I’m socially awkward, but they’re remarkably engaging and always polite anyway. My brain can’t handle ‘having a conversation with The Fixx’ moments. I think I’ve said “I like your band” and blinked or stared a lot. Who knows.

I don't know what I just said or why.

From my heart & from my hand
    why don't people understand my intention
    -Weird Science

ah the memories

1. The first album I ever bought, rode my bike 4 miles to buy "Shuttered Room", took it home dubbed it to tape and played it in my walkman endlessly.

2. Driving in my car in college and hearing "How much is enough" for the first time on the radio. My college girlfriend said she didn't care for it. I shoulda dumped her right then and there.

3. My first Fixx concert. Front row. Meeting them afterwards. Best concert ever. It would take 10,000 words to describe the feelings, emotions, and impressions that night has left me with. I love my wife and kids, but this day isn't far behind the births and the wedding.

4. Seeing the "Stand or Fall" video for the first time. Chills down my spine. So I got on my bike (see #1).
    I'm drivin' in my car, I used to be able to walk this far

JEANNIE29- your story last night reminded me of my #2

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    1. The first album I ever bought, rode my bike 4 miles to buy "Shuttered Room", took it home dubbed it to tape and played it in my walkman endlessly.

2. Driving in my car in college and hearing "How much is enough" for the first time on the radio. My college girlfriend said she didn't care for it. I shoulda dumped her right then and there.

3. My first Fixx concert. Front row. Meeting them afterwards. Best concert ever. It would take 10,000 words to describe the feelings, emotions, and impressions that night has left me with. I love my wife and kids, but this day isn't far behind the births and the wedding.

4. Seeing the "Stand or Fall" video for the first time. Chills down my spine. So I got on my bike (see #1).
    Btw- I didn't marry the girl from college.
    I'm drivin' in my car, I used to be able to walk this far

The weather, when the music was playing. Guess I had an earth fix there. The rest was to do with my head in the clouds... you know, the concert/forum scene is a different story than the art itself, practically the opposite (so I was more or less "outside" its subculture). Well I was thinking it had a higher purpose, maybe it does depending on which lines we read between (but then, I think the art of mime has a higher purpose too, by comparison). Now it plays out like "word evangalism" on that note (I'm getting rather introspective, while this is retrospective). Kind of a mixed metaphor (we seem to have crossed paths beyond the default scope a few years ago, impromptu as it were—I couldn't be sure of its context, in a drug store of all places; strange day, speaking of mimes—we didn't talk, but I heard what you said in passing, a mutual indifference of sorts). Still, it stands that the theme of nature with music is a favorite of mine (where our humanity converges—as an aesthetic species—spiritual in the form of mimesis, paralanguage, and body language), so the whole scene was cultural to me in that sense (yet one-sided interactively—my eventual preference, real time standing still and all that, there is a limit to how far I suspend disbelief when it goes against the flow, or maybe I am pushing that envelope). I suppose being introduced to music through conceptual videos was misleading, and out of context (I'm younger than thier archetypes—not to say these performers are old), but I can also appreciate the concert/band appeal, in and of itself (not quite the same concept, presence aside). I hadn't intended to uproot anyone else from such tranquil waters, merely a ripple for comparing notes (I guess you've all reached the beach anyway). Cool scenery where I was too (oddly that you knew). All I could have said was high five (on the natural high, that is)—it was only in my eyes.

Of course, I was not considering all of this at the time (it was more at keeping a neutral perspective, not knowing where you two were coming from, only to walk away); and this is really a parallel discussion to the direction I was looking in (having gone back a few hundred years for another side of the story, resolved to the weather as I was saying). Probably sounds silly, but the forces of nature are no less profound to my senses. Complimentary to the composers and performing artists, as well. One thing we have in common, which did not lead to another. Apart from our reflections (at least, in this notebook of my recollections).
    Last edited by artiste; 08-19-2013 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Who knew, the truth is stranger than fiction (or maybe its just me).

Well, it could have been an impersonator (that's okay, I was impersonating a Fixx fan to such an extent). Obscure either way. The weather was nice though.

Sure wishing I could add another one to the list.... maybe next time... in the East.
    You pass like the moon in silence
    In the warm flooded air
    Looking back to those lost opportunities
    So often missed or ignored
    A thousand times I start heading for the dawn
    Only to turn around and face this rue once more
    There 's something ahead of you
    Cy Curnin

Don't die, with your music still inside of you.

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    Btw- I didn't marry the girl from college.
    Good decision! You can tell a lot about a person by the music they like...or don't.

Quote Originally Posted by JEANNIE29 View Post
    Good decision! You can tell a lot about a person by the music they like...or don't.
    But whom would you be marrying in that case?

Quote Originally Posted by JEANNIE29 View Post
    That is a requirement for me(and I don't have many...well, taking out the trash would be nice...HA!)... Must like/love the Fixx...or it is never going to work out....LOL....:P
    You pass like the moon in silence
    In the warm flooded air
    Looking back to those lost opportunities
    So often missed or ignored
    A thousand times I start heading for the dawn
    Only to turn around and face this rue once more
    There 's something ahead of you
    Cy Curnin

Don't die, with your music still inside of you.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345