Thread: Rupert Greenall's underrated keyboards

Rupert Greenall's underrated keyboards

Just a post to sing the praises of our Rupert.

Nowadays the 'keyboard hero' is as long forgotten as Fripp's jibe about Crimso being a 'dinosaur'!! Anyway, having seen the Fixx at last years Borderline gig (I missed the one a couple of weeks back... family stuff...) I just felt that his work on that night, and on all the albums of course, to be very original - carefully chosen sounds, obviously knows his gear and works hard to create unique textures etc.

I particularly like the 12" extended tracks and remixes on the latest cd rereleases (check out the work on the 'I Will' extended version on 'Phantoms')... and the 'Westwood One' live albums!! (these are great recordings by the way... a must for Fixxtures!!) where you can really hear what Rupert is up to. So perfect for the tracks. His 'keyboard hero virtuousity' is clearly in the vast repertoire of groovy noises he has in his keyboard rack and his ability to add a sound that 'ain't been done yet' to a song. Great stuff mate!!

More often than not it is Cy, Jamie or... Dan K (how many times have we heard the Fixx is not the Fixx without the hatted wonder!!) that get the plaudits for this band - soooooo... here's to Rupert! Top class keyboard hero!!

irv123

nice IRV, no how about you relay that info to some popular keyboard trade magazines, and let us all hound them to do an article/feature on the RupeMeister!!
    "There can be no tradition without innovation."
    - Earle Hitchner, Irish music journalist

I am looking forward to hearing Rubert do his majic on Reach the Beach. I can't remember the last time I heard that song live .... must have been the early 80s at the National Arts Centre in Ottawa, Ontario where the theatre was packed, patrons dancing in the aisles and Cy was very much into mime.

B side the C side in Llanelli, Carmarthenshire, UK

Roop's keyboards

Ever have a moment in life when something happens, sometimes pretty insignificant but it hits you right between the eyes, as if you were the only one to see / hear / feel it?

Last year at the Borderline, I caught a wave of sound crossing the stage from Rupert's keyboards, can't really explain it, other than it felt like and sounded like a rolling wave of sound crossing from left to right, a bit like playing with the recording balance controls on the hi-fi and hearing the resultant playback fade and move from left ear to the right ear, you know, I can't even remember what track was being played as it just totally blew me away, I mean this sound seemed to travel over the PA and hit me smack bang between the eyes.
    I stood in the same place at the Borderline this year and tried to catch that same wave, but no such luck, makes me think that maybe a freak of acoustics and right place, right time, but that really was a 5 seconds that for me, really was a case of Real Time Stood Still.
    Stuart at the Welsh Connection

Re: Roop's keyboards

Originally posted by STUART
    Ever have a moment in life when something happens, sometimes pretty insignificant but it hits you right between the eyes, as if you were the only one to see / hear / feel it?

...makes me think that maybe a freak of acoustics and right place, right time, but that really was a 5 seconds that for me, really was a case of Real Time Stood Still.
    I can relate. In 1998 The Fixx played Lonley as a Lighthouse in Citrus Heights CA. At the very end of the INTRO Jamie hits two quick notes that were echoed throughout the joint - I believe these to echoed notes have the same effect on me that you felt in the Boderline. I've never heard this echo again - not live or on the Chicago House of Blues recording from liveconcerts.com

It was an EPIC moment and right then Real Time Stood Still for me.

Wow - this is a bit like something I've been meaning to post about for a while. I've yet to have one of these moments at a show, but a related sort of topic is the mental and physiological effects of music. I've had a "shock wave" experience with the Fixx, though - the first time I put on the good Headphones, and cranked up Facing the Wind (sometime earlier this year). The first chord from Jamie literally hit me like a shock wave, and now, every time I hear the song, there's a little rush of adrenaline when that first chord hits. Nothing like I'd ever experienced before...and exhilarating!

When we hear a favorite song, it's not uncommon for adrenaline production to go up a bit (or a lot), but how about other effects? Is there a certain sound that routinely makes the hair on your arms stand up? Puts butterflies in your stomach? A rhythm or specific time signature that makes you feel like you're somehow in motion when you're not moving at all?

There are other examples to share, but must head to work. Would love to hear from others on this topic.
    Last edited by deBASHmode; 11-08-2004 at 04:36 PM.

Cy was very much into mime.
    Speaking of this... I have wondered, considering I have not seen a show in 20 years, if Cy is as "animated " with his hands, as ever??????? Jeanne

He still gestures a bit, Jeanne, but not like the old days.

Stuart, i think the track from borderline last year was 'lost planes'. i remember having the same thought... there was a keyboard sound that seemed to come from nowhere (obviously it was from rupert's set up). i recall thinking 'what an amazing sound!!'. i don't think it was a sound that appears on any recordings of 'lost' (i checked after the gig) so presume that, as you didn't hear that sound a few weeks back, that it might have been improvised on the spur of the moment. anyway, since my post i have been really listening closely again to the keys on fixx tracks. great stuff!!!

B side the C side in Llanelli, Carmarthenshire, UK
    Irv, you heard it as well? Bloody amazing wasn't it.
    Did I read a thread somewhere earlier about the band being interviewed and the board being thrown open to questions?
    Can we add that then, from Stuart and Irv, question to Rupert,
    What track was it, how did you do it, and if you have a copy of the Borderline 2003 on tape from the mixing desk, can we have a copy.....
    Stuart at the Welsh Connection

Post He's one of my all-time favorites

I'm a keyboard player myself, and Rupert Greenall is one of my all-time favorites, along with Ray Manzerik and Rick Wakeman. His creative use of synth sounds, vocoders, etc.. is very unique. I doubt he's ever used a preset on any of his keyboards