Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Least Favorite Fixx Songs (not for the faint-of-heart)

Top 10 Least Favorite Fixx Songs (not for the faint-of-heart)

So, we all have Top Ten lists for best songs by our favorite bands..how about a 'worst-of' list? Ok, maybe "worst" is not a good word to use when talking about The Fixx. How about "least favorite"? Yes, that's better. So, can you find 10 Fixx songs that just don't do it for you?

01. You Know Me - The only Fixx song to make me physically cringe! I just can't make it through the entire song. Painful lyrics and music.

02. Elected - I feel like I'm watching public television when this one is playing.

03. We Don't Own The World - This should be on a Disney soundtrack! I can envision a purple boar singing this one.

04. Straight Round The Bend - lyrically stale, musically blah. The song is an afterthought on an otherwise-great album.

05. Is That All? - The Elemental era was a strange time lyrically for Cy. He has done much better before and after this! Bar-band rock.

06. Life's What's Killing Me - aka "Is That All, Part 2". Imagine if the band could've nailed down a good studio recording of "Lonely As A Lighthouse", how much better Elemental would be.

07. Freeman - "..free is what I yam, I'm Popeye the Sailor Man!" That's all it took. Fortunately relegated to EP b-side status.

08. Modern World - the sonics initially grabbed my attention (this was after Elemental, so it was nice to hear "wet" music again), but the lyrics are just too trite for me to be able to enjoy this one.

09. All The Best Things - Processed wannabe pop hit #1. The bridge has some a glimmer of hope; the rest of the song - hopeless!

10. Falling In Love - Processed wannabe pop hit #2. Amy Grant called, she wants her early 90s adult-pop-rock formula back!

Bizarro1002
    Last edited by tenohtwo; 11-14-2004 at 02:23 AM.

Damn Dude! Just slam them hard.

There are a few "least favorites" for me but I still enjoy the "least favorites". They don't make me cringe or even hit the "NEXT" button on the Cd player.

Mine go like this...

1..Make No Plans - I just don't get it.

2..Phantom Living - while I love the guitar solo the rest of the song strikes me with dissonance.

3..Falling In Love - Cy writes just fine by himself. Bruce Gaitsch should have contaced Air Supply for this one.

4..Camphor - Never did take a loving to it. I merely like it.

5..Is It By Instinct - Properly remained a B-side

6..Life's What's Killing Me - This was SO KILLER and full of energy in concert but it just didn't translate well from the studio and falls flat.

7..No Hollywood Ending - no build, no crescendo, no solos

8..Rediscover - Cy is all over the charts on the scale of notes. Just seems chaotic to me. Although I just LOVE Dan's fretless bass

9..You Know Me - somebody counted their chickens before they hatched. I'm glad Cy ditched the cliches for Want That Life

10.Sense The Adventure - Ok, Jamie rocks but Adam's part is monotonous. I don't get the Pagan thing.

Smile I tried a similar thread once

Hello 1002,

I had tried this thread once before and I guess i worded it wrong. Some people did not want to participate. They felt it was negative.

I don't think there is anything wrong with saying I don't like this song. I will have to rethink mine. i'll get back to you on this one.

Fixxation

Yeah, I had to think about the thread title for a minute - didn't want to send the wrong message. It's no secret that this is our favorite band we're talking about, so it's definitely not a negative intention. It's just a curiosity on my part. The Fixx are like any other band - they're gonna stumble once or twice (or 10 times, per my list!). I happen to be a big U2 fan, too. I could probably name about a dozen songs that I just can't stand (but we're talking bottom-of-the-barrel U2, like Miami and The Playboy Mansion!). I personally like to see the contrast, I find it interesting.

Weird that your thread didn't go over well. Maybe you shouldn't have used the thread title "Fixx songs that really suck"! He he, ok, not really! Seriously, Fixxation, I'd love to see your list. Git it on up here!

Originally posted by Steve Pariseau
    Damn Dude! Just slam them hard.
    He, he. Was I too harsh? I enjoyed writing those *scathing* reviews! It's the only way I can vent my frustration over these songs! All in good fun, of course.

8..Rediscover - Cy is all over the charts on the scale of notes. Just seems chaotic to me. Although I just LOVE Dan's fretless bass
    Ironically, I was thinking how this tune would make a great replacement for Sense The Adventure!

9..You Know Me - somebody counted their chickens before they hatched. I'm glad Cy ditched the cliches for Want That Life
    You picked the lyric that gave me a case of 'lemon-face'

10.Sense The Adventure - Ok, Jamie rocks but Adam's part is monotonous. I don't get the Pagan thing.
    This one was very close to making my list!

Steve, I notice that your choices for 1, 2, and 4 are all the last songs on their respective albums. Interesting. Hey, it's hard to top The Fool and Outside for album closers! I dig all 3 of those tunes (1, 2, & 4), but I think I can see why they wouldn't win every fan over.

Last edited by tenohtwo; 11-14-2004 at 03:41 AM.

In no particular order :

We Once Held Hands
    Woman On A Train
    Deeper and Deeper
    Built For The Future
    No One Has To Cry
    Is That It ?

These are the ones I can think of right now....They're not bad songs...but among my least favorites

Smile This is very interesting

Hello All,

Originally I had a similar thread called "Are You Satisfied?" What I hoped to do is spark a debate and I hoped that no one would get upset.

1002 is correct we all love The Fixx and would never do anything to hurt them or degrade them in anyway. I have no musical talent what-so-ever. I guess that is why I own over 700 CD's. I appreciate the work of great musicians. I think we can say that we like something or not.

Squeeze said he did not like "Built For The Future." See I disagree, I think it is a great song! The line "it doesn't mean much now built for the future." I think it is so true. I happen to love the song and the React album. I also disagree with "Deeper and Deeper" and "Woman on A Train."

I have to agree with "Camphor" is not not one of my favorites. "Sense The Adventure", "Is That It", and "You Know Me."

After going through the Fixx A to Z list the songs below either did come to mind or I have not listened to them enough to make an opinion. Or I have never heard the song.

Not sure about:

All About You
    All The Best Things
    Do What You Can/Peace On Earth
    Election
    Free Bird*
    Freeman
    Going Without
    Iíve Been Here Before
    Is It By Instinct?
    Last Night She Cried*
    Sweet Pandemonium
    Living Before Your Time*
    Rediscover
    Shake And Watch You Fall*
    Ships Are Safe In The Harbor
    Venture Out

This thread is just a dialog I hope no one including the band members is upset with it.

Fixxation

Okay.. I Respect each and every one of you for your individual opinions ,,, but I have to say that I strongly disagree with some of your choices...EI) Freeman ... I LOVE that song .. But that is MY personal opinion... Jeanne

I'm always reluctant to list any "least favorites". A song that, at first, makes me think "oh, that's nice. NEXT!" may, at another time, in another frame of mind, become something that is deeply important. And since most of The Fixx's music is new to me (as of this year), I'm still settling in with so much of it. But it's certainly interesting to see others' choices for favorite and least favorite.

Bash
    Last edited by deBASHmode; 11-15-2004 at 11:30 AM.

eh, not sure what to post.... The silence inbetween the songs?

Debash.. U R Awesome!!!!! That's all I'm going to say!!!
    Clive .. UR2 Funny!!!!! Good answer!!!!!! Jeanne

I will post my top 10 soon.
    Ray

Opinions - its so depressing and dull!
    Phantom Living- Ditto.
    Sense the Adventure- too weird! (I don't get the paganism either)
    Is It by Instinct- Lame.
    Calm Animals- the title song, and most of the album- its my least favorite Fixx album.
    "Things are so enchanting...high on life."

Funny how different people's tastes can be, isn't it? I was surprised to see songs that I rather like (such as Sense The Adventure, Make No Plans, We Once Held Hands) in some people's least-liked list. Well, here's mine, and I bet it's going to upset a few of you, too... please don't take it personally!

10: Touch. Pleasant enough, but could be anybody. Nothing reaches out and grabs me.

9: Falling In Love. I can't listen to it without hearing Tina Turner doing the vocal.

8: Calm Animals. I'm only now starting to learn to like this album. The title track isn't one that's grown on me.

7: World Weary. Just seems to plod along. Or is that the point?

6: A Letter To Both Sides. Lightweight film soundtrack fodder. (As if I could do better)

5: Do What You Can. Bland, too much processed drums.

4: Is It By Instinct. Admittedly an early effort, but throwaway.

3: Brave. I keep trying to like it because it's unusual, but it leaves a nasty plastic David Bowie Philly Soul taste in my mouth despite the lyrical message.

2: Life's What's Killing Me. To me it sounds like they are trying to copy Talking Heads and making a hash of it.

And the one I like least is...

1: Want That Life. Sorry. Honestly. But I skip it every time. It does nothing for me at all. I wish they'd left No Hollywood Ending as the title - I like that one...

I considered You Know Me, but it's quirky enough to have escaped...

But - and, like my own, this is a big but - I don't actually hate or even particularly dislike any of these songs. That's more than I can say for a lot of stuff I hear now on the radio. What I might (personally) consider the poorest of the Fixx's offerings is still head and shoulders above the majority of stuff out there...

Apologies if I spoiled anybody's day!

Originally posted by smarthound
    5: Do What You Can. Bland, too much processed drums.
    You might try the version on Missing Links. It was recorded LIVE in the great outdoors at the Farmyard.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast