Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rush

Post Rush

Hey stix -- hope you don't mind me moving this to a new topic!

Stix wrote:
    Re: RUSH -

I got an email from the RUSH list that Alex Lifeson confirmed that they will be in the studio this October (2000) but unfortunately a tour to support the CD is unlikely. I think that Neil has not been a fan of touring for a couple of tours (just rumours) and with his recent tragedies I guess he wants to stick close to home (just my opinion) although maybe they all just want to spend time with their families like normal people.

------------------
    Ciao,
    Stix
    [This message has been edited by jeff (edited 03-29-2000).]

Very exciting news! Neil's tradgedy is about the worse I could ever imagine, but I suspect that he's about to create the most personal work of his entire life.

Smile

Well, I am just glad that Rush will be making a new album -- even if it seems a tour is unlikely (but things may change, you never know) .

Jeff...just testing the board out -- looks GREAT. Well done.

Pat Durrell

Isn't it still in the same topic, Outside?

------------------
    Ciao,

Stix

UBB has two concepts - that of "Forums" and that of "Topics".

So, on the front page (www.thefixx.net) there are four forums: Lighthouse, Outside, How Much Is Enough, Sign Of Fire, and the test board.

Once inside that, you can either read and reply to a topic, or you can create a new topic. So -- originally you posted what could have been a new topic called "Rush" under the Topic that I had started called "What is Outside".

Hope that makes sense!

jeff

Thumbs up

I don't remember who on the list did it, but someone recommended that I get Grace Under Pressure to start getting into Rush. I already own Moving Pictures (classic), but I must say after listening to GUP that I really like this album. Cleaner guitars/production...more Fixx-like, but yet the same feel as the Moving Pictures tracks....tho less guitar work and more synth. Fav tracks are Between The Wheels, Afterimage (I fell the way you would...great line), and The Enemy Within. What should I get next? Help me out Rushian-Fixxtures!

Dan

[This message has been edited by DanBoutin (edited 04-20-2001).]

Smile

Originally posted by DanBoutin:
    I don't remember who on the list did it, but someone recommended that I get Grace Under Pressure to start getting into Rush. I already own Moving Pictures (classic), but I must say after listening to GUP that I really like this album. Cleaner guitars/production...more Fixx-like, but yet the same feel as the Moving Pictures tracks....tho less guitar work and more synth. Fav tracks are Between The Wheels, Afterimage (I fell the way you look...great line), and The Enemy Within. What should I get next? Help me out Rushian-Fixxtures!

Dan
    Hey Dan!

You might check out "Power Windows" also -- I feel it has the most Fixxy sound of any Rush album. Great album.

I'm actually surprised that someone recommended Grace Under Pressure - most people feel that album is of the least accessible.

I'd also recommend Signals, and then Permanent Waves. Ultimately, if your completely hooked on Rush, finally check out Hemspheres, then A Farewell To Mings, and finally 2112. Then pick up the remaining albums to fill things in (at that point, you'd pretty much be considered a die-hard Rush fan).

Smile

Funny you mention Grace Under Pressure - the first Rush album I listened to was Signals, but Grace Under Pressure is my favourite along with Roll The Bones. Red Sector A still blows me away...

A little Rupert Hine/SWT snippet from the Presto tourbook at http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/PRESTOtourbook.htm

Of a few different candidates, Rupert Hine was the one we decided on. Rupert is a songwriter, singer, and keyboard player in his own right, and has made about fifteen albums himself, in addition to producing seventy-odd records, for other people, like Tina Turner, Howard Jones, and The Fixx. All this experience, combined with his ideas and enthusiasm, made Rupert's input valuable, particularly in the area of keyboard and vocal arrangements. We were a little bemused when we first played the songs for him, and at the end of some of them he actually seemed to be laughing! We looked at each other, eyebrows raised as if to say: "He thinks our songs are funny?" But evidently it was a laugh of pleasure; he stayed 'til the end.

For the past eight years Rupert and engineer Stephen Tayler have worked together as a production team, and at Rupert's urging, we brought Stephen in to work behind the console. As an engineer Stephen was fast, decisive, enthusiastic, and always able to evoke the desired sound, while his unfailing good humore, like Ruper's, contributed to making Presto the most relaxed sessions we've enjoyed in years. But it was as a volleyball player that Stephen really shone, unanimously voted "rookie of the year" in our midnight games at Le Studio.

Smile

Ok, in addition to GUP, I now have Power Windows, Roll The Bones, and Signals. Next on my list is Permanent Waves (Spirit of the Radio and Freewill are great...gotta have 'em!), then Presto because of the RH/SWT production team. They did a fine job on Roll The Bones. I remember hearing quite a bit of airplay for Dreamline and Ghost Of A Chance...great songs! Roll The Bones is great too...even with the rap section...which was a surprise. Geez these guys have alot of albums!

Smile

Don't forget Moving Pictures! One of their best produced albums.

After that (and the ones you listed), I'd buy:

Hemispheres
    A Farewell To Kings

If you like everything you hear, go ahead and buy the remainder of their catalog.

jeff

Red face

oops...forgot to mention I have that one...was my first Rush album. I still like Grace Under Pressure the best of what I have so far. I was surprised at how "synthy" they became with Power Windows...I don't think I'll ever tire of Mystic Rhythms...what a great song.

Smile

If you like synthy Rush, check out "Hold Your Fire".

Thumbs up

Personally, "Presto" is excellent! Check it out. E

Smile

itizuki,
    I recommend you to listen "Alien Shore"off of
    uCOUNTERPARTSv

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast