Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phoenix review - new song, classic opener *SPOILERS*

Phoenix review - new song, classic opener *SPOILERS*

Ok, if you're reading this, you don't mind learning about the surprises! It was a great show, the band came on at 8:00 sharp (no opener), and was off by 9:30 - quite possibly the earliest concert night ever for me. Anyway, to the good stuff...

THE NEW SONG

During the encore, the band presented a new tune, which I suspect is still in the working stages, but they need to record this one. The song is called "Will You Miss Me When I'm Gone", and it rocks more than anything on Want That Life. In fact, I was reminded of the aggressive nature of the Calm Animals LP. If you don't like that album, that doesn't mean you won't like this song. It's very catchy, with a hard-hitting guitar hook, and very high-pitched vocals from Cy. It's definitely one of the more rocking songs they've written in quite some time. It parallels the energetic feel of "Lonely As A Lighthouse". Let's just hope that this song gets recorded in the studio. It could contend as a single on the next album. What we heard was short, maybe 2-1/2 minutes long, and it felt like a work-in-progress, yet close to being finished. I predict possibly a shorter song title, but a longer song. If it's done right in the studio, it will be a modern Fixx classic. The crowd loved it.

Speaking of the crowd, they were freaking awesome tonight. It was double the noise of last summer's Rhythm Room crowd. The band definitely recognized the crowd's energy, and responded appropriately.

The set - well, it's pretty similiar to what we heard at the end of last year, with the exception of the opening song, which happens to be a song they opened with back in 1983. Yes, it's been 21 years since this one got the live treatment. Here is your opening song on this leg:

LINER

I was surprised how well the crowd responded to this golden nugget! Expect to hear this RTB classic when the band visits your neighborhood.

The rest of the set followed the 2004 set:

Liner
    Are We Ourselves?
    How Much Is Enough?
    Are You Satisfied?
    Secret Separation
    Calm Animals
    Driven Out
    Reach The Beach
    Fatal Shore
    One Thing Leads To Another
    Stand Or Fall
    The Fool
    Deeper and Deeper
    Red Skies
    *encore*
    Will You Miss Me When I'm Gone?
    Saved By Zero

I think that's everything. I'm a little boozed up from what was essentially a laid-back jam session with the fans. Great show, great night. To all of you going to the Malibu gig on Saturday night, you are guaranteed to have fun. Everyone was on fire tonight. Time to take advantage of a full night's sleep.

Jim 1002

P.s. Hey Phoenix contingent, if I missed any songs, let me know, I'm going by memory. The order is pretty close. Nighty night. - 1002
    Last edited by tenohtwo; 03-04-2005 at 12:23 AM.

Woo Hoo

Thanks for the sneak peek!

Sounds (as always) incredible! I do hope they put "Touch" back in the line-up though. Pleeeeeeease

I also attended tonights' show. Brilliant as usual. The new tune sounded pretty good to me. An up tempo romp with high energy. I love these guys! Got to finally meet and speak with Jamie. He was as friendly as could be. I asked him what he thought about my sons' guitar (he's a beginner) and told me that the guitar he used on "REACH THE BEACH" was the predecessor to this one (IBENEZ ROADSTAR II). Jamie played an IBENEZ BLAZER I believe. Now that's what I call an endorsement!
    Lowlights----- They didn't play the rest of their library ------ No one cleaned up the barf next to the area where Mick was selling buttons and CD's.
    Highlights------- Seeing My number one band up close and personal, again!!!-------- The lovely way in which a slender young thing, dressed all in black, displayed ten little scrumptious tootsies in a very attractive set of footwear.
    "I'LL BARE ONE PRECIOUS SCAR...."

Thanks Tenohtwo!!!! I am so happy that at least one of my concert requests [Liner, from the http://www.thefixx.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=627 thread] has made the cut this time around. Now I'm hoping that it is still there on the 17th when I see the guys.

Geoff
    "I knew a transsexual guy whose only ambition was to eat, drink, and be Mary." ~ George Carlin.

Excited to hear Liner live, but I have to admit, I'll miss Touch.
    Bash,
    Co-Founder, B.A.A.S.
    Born Again Atheists Society

I am definately excited to see Liner in the set list.
    It will be great to hear Gary's touch on the song.

TOUCH!!!!!!!!!!

COME BACK!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the inside scoop, tenohtwo!!

And yes, the ladies will miss Touch!!!!! But Liner is an all-time fav. Can't wait to hear the new "work in progress"! Two shows coming my way...
    Alli

>Excited to hear Liner live, but I have to admit, I'll miss Touch. <
    >TOUCH!!!!!!!!!!

COME BACK!!!!!!!!<

I have the exact opposite opinion...I would much rather hear Liner. Touch has been in the set for the last two years...it's time to change the setlist. I would much rather hear Liner live for the first time than Touch for the 10th time!!!

-Chris

I would like to hear "Prove" from WTL live. I think it is quite different from most of the songs the've done. I am surprised that only one song from that album--ok, CD, is on the set list. I do love to hear the Fixx do live songs other than their standards live.

I agree, changing the setlist is a good thing, but I also would rather hear the new songs and less played (and less popular) tunes. I realize that people tend to expect the one that "pays the bills" and such, but I would prefer ones I know but that I've never heard live instead (as well as Lighthouse, which I've never heard, given the reaction of others on this board). However, I know that they, well, need to pay the bills. Still, I do wonder if they would get the gigs nonetheless if they didn't play the tried and true.
    Alli

Great show Thursday night. Met some nice folks at the RR after the show.
    (We really need to come up with the cash for the private concert)
    Jamie sure was a good sport on that one.

The new song was GREAT! It's so exciting to hear new stuff from such a great group, they just get better and better!!!!

It's great to hear the guys warming up nicely, before they (hopefully) return home to Blighty!!

Private concert for Fixxtures and friends. One out West. One in the East. One in Europe. YES!!!!! We'll pay, absolutely
    "I'LL BARE ONE PRECIOUS SCAR...."

Ok, how do we work this? I'm SO down with the private concert! An intimate gathering of friends...perhaps even unplugged???? I imagine lots of wine and good food, laughter and music, an experience like no other. When, where and how... Den Mother and other fabulous fixxtures... what do you think?
    Fluxus is not: a movement, a moment in history, an organization. Fluxus is: an idea, a kind of work, a tendency, a way of life, a changing set of people who do Fluxworks.
    --Dick Higgins

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast