Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fixx An Electronic Tribute CD Now Available!

The Fixx Tribute Album - Call for Bands

I'm Randall Erkelens of Tristraum. I'm putting together a Fixx tribute focusing on electronic/synthpop/darkwave/ebm/etc. If your band would like to contribute and fit in these genres, please contact me at:

randall@tristraum.com

Our band Tristraum is covering "Chase The Fire". Other confirmed bands are Empire State Human (Dublin), Kiss The Star and MODyssey (both USA).

I've read the thread about a possible tribute. If there are bands that fit our genre in that discusion, please contact me. Our deadline for songs is the end of June.

I'll post more information as it becomes available. The cd should hit the stores by End of July 2004 or early August. It will be available via Amazon, CD Baby, etc. It will cover the hits plus some lesser-known songs.

Thanks for your contributions.

Since I have already responded to two emails regarding our release, I thought I'd add some addtional information regarding this tribute.

The tribute will be fully licensed. This is not an underground or bootleg project. FYI. :-)

So far, we have four confirmed bands.

Thanks to those have have responded.

Randall

This just in:

MODyssey is covering "Arrested by You" off the Better Off Dead soundtrack.

Didn't expect a Fixx side-project to make it on the tribute.. but it's a great song.

I'll post more information as it becomes available. We have half the album filled already! Some good synthpop/new-wave inspired acts so far. Also a few touches of darker enfluences. But pure electronic-driven synthetic soundscapes is what you can expect.

My band is interested in contributing to this tribute.
    I sent you an email, so let me know if what we're thinking about is ok for you.

Peace.
    We Are All Zapatistas.

Here's an informal line-up of songs so far. A few more songs are on their way in. And if there's dupication of tracks, we'll make the extras available as exclusive downloads, etc.

We've set-up a web page for updates, music samples (when they're available) and ordering information: www.tristraum.com/fixxtribute.html

This is going to be great collection of modern electronic music doing The Fixx.

Secret Separation
    Saved by Zero
    Chase The Fire
    Two Different Views
    Reach The Beach
    Arrested by You
    Sweet Pandemonium
    Built for the Future
    Red Skies
    One Thing Leads to Another
    Running
    Deeper and Deeper
    Are We Ourselves

Unrelated, but related note: Caught The Fixx two nights ago in Colorado. They played a great show. Spoke to Cy and Rupert briefly about the project. And speical thanks to Ed who made the introductions!

Once all the bands are in for this project, I'll post a new thread with updates and release information.

Randall

Updates - Release Info

June 19

Just a quick update on the progress of the album tribute to The Fixx.

We have more than enough bands/contributions for this release. Thanks to all that have inquired.

The release date for this project is September, 2004. A few tracks are starting to arrive and they sound great. We expect the remaining songs to be here by July 31. And we'll need a month to finalize the production end of things. We'll also be launching an exclusive website just for this release. You'll be able to preview each track. And as an added bonus, if you pick-up your copy of this tribute on the site, you'll receive some bonus songs/remixes that didn't fit on the cd.

If you're a fan of electonic/new wave music, you'll love this release. It will feature some of today's best-known acts in the genre.

I'll give another update in July when the album is closer to completion.

Re: Updates - Release Info

*sigh*

found out about this one too late...

will be very interested to hear this when it's done...

no one doing "stand or fall?" i can still...

heh.

cheers
    www.skydiversmusic.com

"I've got a fever...and the only prescription...is more cowbell!"

Sorry to report that 'stand or fall' is spoken for. If you're still very interested, I can give you a list of the songs taken. Hey, you never know. Sometimes, a band might fall through and I'm also considering offering a bonus CDR with mixes that didn't fit on the compilation. Or give the remaining tracks to buyers as downloadable mp3s, etc.

Randall

hee hee...i'm glad there's such interest in this project

i just mentioned "stand or fall" cos i didn't see it on the prev track listing.

can you post the most up to date track listing? that would be great...

if i see there's a song floating around that we (skydivers) can do, we'll toss that particular song around a bit and, if something comes of it, great...

i just think this is a pretty cool project you're doing

cheers...
    spacey
    www.skydiversmusic.com

Here's the line-up so far. All of the bands listed come from the synthpop/darkwave/futurepop/electronica worlds. Most have more than one release out and have considerable reputations in their genres. I'll have one-minute samples of each song up on a website in August.

Randall

1. Saved By Zero - Empire State Human _
    2. _ One Thing Leads To Another - Color Theory _
    3. _ Chase The Fire - Tristraum _
    4. _ Two Different Views - David Vesel _
    5. _ Secret Separation - Kiss The Star _
    6. _ No One Has To Cry - Royal Visionaries _
    7. _ Are We Ourselves - Blue October _
    8. _ Running - Equatronic _
    9. _ Reach The Beach - Synthethik FM _
    10. _ Still Around - DJ Ram _
    11. _ How Much Is Enough - Namnambulu _
    12. _ Stand Or Fall - Glow _
    13. _ TBD - Fr/action _
    14. _ Read Between The Lines - The Dignity Of Labor _
    15. _ Red Skies - Internal Dialogue

nice!

keep us posted...and good luck!
    www.skydiversmusic.com

DelMarVA (Eastern Shore of MD...1/2 hr from Ocean)

Question cover songs actually released?

Does anyone know of FIXX cover songs actually released into the real world?

This is the only one that I know of...it is supposed to be rather neat...he is a relatively-well-know/respected jazz bass player.

Joseph Patrick Moore's Drum and Bass Society

Album Description
    Playing the songs of: Phish, Tony Williams , Men At Work, The Specials, The Fixx + 7 JPM originals including a dedication to Herbie Hancock.

I'm certain there's some Fixx stuff floating around. Start a thread asking for that info. It might already be here somewhere. And I'm sure one of the more seasoned members has that info at their fingertips!

We're starting to get some of the tracks in for the tribute. They're sounding great. 'Red Skies' came in last week or so. It's a cool electronic number with some Eastern overtones. From what I'm hearing, it's going to be a great album. And anyone isn't a fan of electronic music, I can say that you should find something new on the compilation to identify with. If anything, an old favorite re-interpreted.

John Bolsar wrote the introduction on the website that will be up next month. I'll start a new thread once that site is completed. You'll be able to pre-order the cd. And for the people that do, you'll be intitled to additional songs as downloads that didn't fit on the cd due to length. So, it's the cd that keeps giving. :-)

Really looking forward to this cd!

Randall

Originally posted by Tristraum
    This just in:

MODyssey is covering "Arrested by You" off the Better Off Dead soundtrack.

Didn't expect a Fixx side-project to make it on the tribute.. but it's a great song.

I'll post more information as it becomes available. We have half the album filled already! Some good synthpop/new-wave inspired acts so far. Also a few touches of darker enfluences. But pure electronic-driven synthetic soundscapes is what you can expect.
    "Arrested By You" is definitely a great song, but I don't that I'd go as far to call it a "Fixx side-project". The fact is, it's a Rupert Hine song. Jamie does contribute guitar tracks, but it still sounds more like Hine than The Fixx. To me, having "Arrested By You" on there is no different than if you added a cover of Tina Turner's "Better Be Good To Me" (which also features Jamie's guitar work). It just seems a little misleading. If someone bought that tribute, really dug "Arrested By You", and wanted to hear the original version, they'd go looking for it on every Fixx release and never find it. There's plenty of Fixx songs to choose from their own catalogue, it's too bad that an 'outside' song will take the place of one of theirs on this CD.

Just my opinion!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast