Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Invisible Mode

We should draft a Bill of Rights.

Funny how perceptions go - I really don't feel any heat here. I have 13 years experience with online communities, most of those as a moderator/owner - online communities and how they evolve are a particular interest of mine. This one's in a growth phase and is a really good place to be, and I think it's a mistake to risk alienating people at this point. This issue HAS aroused my maternal instincts as Den Mom, but I think it's good discussion. I guess what counts as "heated" depends on your experience, and this has been pretty darned calm compared to others I've seen.
    Bash,
    Co-Founder, B.A.A.S.
    Born Again Atheists Society

shhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they might hear you!!!

all seriousness aside, this is pretty healthy talk here. keep it comin'. so far, we have all respected each other totally (and that's why I love ya!), so we should all be able to say what matters to us.

you guys r kewl!

so uh, Mista Moderatuh, wazzup wit' dat??? who's gonna write da first draft of the Fixx Fans Bill 'A Rights?
    "Even the devil may cry when he looks around Hell and realizes that he is all alone"

Acheron Parthenopaeus

(Sherrilyn Kenyon, Devil May Cry)

http://www.wordclay.com/BookStore/BookStoreBookDetails.aspx?bookid=37784

Well what is heated to me, a guy who deals with 2 kids for a majority of my day and has little adult interaction and as a result of that feels overmatched when speaking on more adult issues or even when speaking to adults at all, and for you, with your experience in dealing with such things, is way different I guess.

I try my best in such things to live by the credo [and I'm not sure of the proper wording or if it's even warranted here]: I may not agree with what you say but will defend to the death your right to say it.

So I will say once again I do agree that there should be a choice for each person....if a choice is available. This being a free site those options can be revoked at any time.
    "I knew a transsexual guy whose only ambition was to eat, drink, and be Mary." ~ George Carlin.

Originally posted by SilentGeoff
    Well what is heated to me, a guy who deals with 2 kids for a majority of my day and has little adult interaction and as a result of that feels overmatched when speaking on more adult issues or even when speaking to adults at all, and for you, with your experience in dealing with such things, is way different I guess.

just two kids?! aw, man, you're my hero!!! try 32!

and adult interaction at times is highly overrated, and this is coming from someone who works primarily with a gang of women who seem to have PMS around the same time of the month! count yourelf blessed, man!
    "Even the devil may cry when he looks around Hell and realizes that he is all alone"

Acheron Parthenopaeus

(Sherrilyn Kenyon, Devil May Cry)

http://www.wordclay.com/BookStore/BookStoreBookDetails.aspx?bookid=37784

Yes, it is a free board. But why limit some people or alienate some of them by turning off a feature that costs nothing to run and makes some people a lot more comfortable to be here?
    Bash,
    Co-Founder, B.A.A.S.

Originally posted by preciousstone75
    just two kids?! aw, man, you're my hero!!! try 32!

and adult interaction at times is highly overrated, and this is coming from someone who works primarily with a gang of women who seem to have PMS around the same time of the month! count yourelf blessed, man!
    Thanks....NO!!! My two are enough of a handful for me. Though with the logic required to handle them , or rather lack of logic, I suppose I could lean toward having a few more around and not lose my mind totally. Implying of course that there is any of my mind left to be lost.

As for the adult interaction....you get what you can from it. I miss conversation about politics, religion and the ilk compared to ones of needing cereal or a peanut butter sandwich or whether or not the older one will help the younger with his video game or whatever. Just not alot of time for that kind of thing when bringing up 2 kids with the myriad of difficulties my 2 have.
    "I knew a transsexual guy whose only ambition was to eat, drink, and be Mary." ~ George Carlin.

Parenting is the most important job on the planet, Geoff. You've mentioned the challenges your 2 have, and I salute you.
    Bash,
    Co-Founder, B.A.A.S.

Originally posted by deBASHmode
    Yes, it is a free board. But why limit some people or alienate some of them by turning off a feature that costs nothing to run and makes some people a lot more comfortable to be here?
    OK, that's a valid point.

I don't know why that would be done....but for the moment take into consideration the other side. At least one of those who run the board found the fact that a part of the membership was being "invisible" [and I want everyone to know for some reason each time I type this I laugh a little; I think it may be remembering the Burt Campbell character on "Soap" each time he made himself "disappear"...but I digress] was disturbing and discussed it with another who also is in that capacity with the board and they agreed that it should be gone. There are other security measures that can be used for privacy purposes [like turning off PMs and email, and a buddy list and a block list] and that one was not needed any longer. It is the moderators who handle problems like what you have mentioned that made this decision and it may have been from a lack of the problems you mentioned that they eliminated the "invisibility". I don't know why it was done. I think through this discussion I have finally figured the 2 things that puzzle me most about this whole issue and those things are questions: Would you have joined this board in the first place if the invisibility factor wasn't there when you joined? Was that one of the main reasons why you joined?

I turned off my invisible mode a long time ago. And nobody has stalked me yet! I feel hurt - where are the cyber-stalkers when you need them.

Oh wait - here comes one now - WHAT - a PM from Jeanne Thelen - you stalker you!!

haa haa haa

Just kidding Jeanne!

Seriously though, I would think that the band wouldn't want us fans to know when they are on line - if indeed they were, that is - that would definitely create an opportunity for cyber-stalking. Hopefully everyone here is adult enough not to do that to them or to anyone.

Pip
    ~Bathe In A Turning Tide~

GREAT!!!!!!!!

NOW you know why I want to stay invisible... I am stalking you all... DANG!!!!

HA! HA! LOL!!! KIDDING..
    And I agree again with Bash... I really do not think this discussion was heated at all.... just a few of us defending our positions and rights to remain invisible....

By the way ....

watch out .. I am stalking you all AGAIN!!!!

HA!! LOL!!!

How about an invisible time frame.. where we can be hidden 50% of the time ...3 days a week....ANYTHING????

Forcing anyone to shut off my PMs and emails just because someone wants to see my name at the bottom of the board is just plain ridiculous. Making someone have to log in every time the wanna post or read a PM, because the want to surf anonymoulsy is just plain ridiculous.

The message is: "You want privacy? Jump through all these hoops, then. You're not important enough for us to consider."

[sarcasm]Makes me feel like a really valued member of the family.[/sarcam]
    Bash,
    Co-Founder, B.A.A.S.

So far the only reason I've heard for taking away our choice to invisibility is that it is "annoying". How? It needs more explanation than that.

As for using the ignore list to block PM's. Is that how it works? It seems to me it doesn't work that way. (but I'm open to enlightenment)

If it doesn't work that way, then that means BASH is right and people would have to jump through hoops to retain privacy and not enjoy the board to the extent that others do.

And is invisibility entirely disabled? I would at least like see members have the option to petition the mods to have theirs turned on in the event of harassment. (more hoops, by the way, but at least members get their privacy)

SilentGeoff asked DeBashMode "Would you have joined this board in the first place if the invisibility factor wasn't there when you joined?"

Honestly?
    If that one tiny option were not available would you have never met the lot of us?

When you join, you hardly know anyone anyway. You learn about people through their posts. The point is lost on me.

Anyway, (I could say more but...) I'll hold my tongue for now. Until I hear more that's said about this.

Originally posted by dejapete
    So far the only reason I've heard for taking away our choice to invisibility is that it is "annoying". How? It needs more explanation than that.
    The guy who pays the bills hate's the idea of anonymous
    lurking.

So do I, and so does Ed.

We haven't polled the remaining Moderator as she is busy with a prescious newborn right now.

This is only a controversy because it existed to begin with. The four other boards that I frequent do not have an invisible mode so to me that is the norm and I have accepted it for the decade or so I have done message/bulletin boards.

And please understand that DeBASHmode is no less important a member just because we turned off invisible mode. I am saddened that you take it that way Bash and hope you will not leave us because of this.

If the problems arise that you speak of occuring on your message boards we will deal with them on a case by case basis.

Cy says it best..."there will always be two different views."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast