Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Invisible Mode

So what 4 mods want is more important than giving thosands of members a choice in how to read the board? Who's here to serve whom?

Sounds like some priorties need sorted out...
    Bash,
    Co-Founder, B.A.A.S.
    Born Again Atheists Society

Bet you'll be seeing a lot more of this around here - isn't this exciting????

Bash,
    Co-Founder, B.A.A.S.

Why the secrecy everyone???????

LOL

exactly what I was wondering . . . .

either I've had way too much to drink - or -

I've had too much to drink -

either way - I'm still here -

posting away - can you see me now?

life is much too short to let this affect our time here on the board.

invisible or not - doesn't change a thing for me - my life goes on either way -

we're still the same people - doing the same thing - here because we like the music - not because were invisible (or invincible)

But then, who am I to say - I've been drinking . . . .
    ~Bathe In A Turning Tide~

and another thing . .

I find it rather comforting seeing the other fixxtures on line.

I come home from work when all others are usually asleep & one of the first things that I do is check the board. I look to see who's here with me & firstly I see Alannah & Heimo. It eases me to know that they are safe and sound - I picture them starting their new day - thousands of miles away - and yet so close because I see them there on the board. Then I look and see DejaPete - and I stop to wonder "what in the hell is he doing up at this hour"?

I see the names of Fixxtures that I know and love - and the names of those that I have not yet met yet - and I feel them there surfing the board with me. It makes me feel closer to them all - I feel like John Boy Walton . . . . . "good night Mary Ellen".

Good night my friends and family. Until we meet again.
    ~Bathe In A Turning Tide~

Re: LOL

Originally posted by pippi617

life is much too short to let this affect our time here on the board.

invisible or not - doesn't change a thing for me - my life goes on either way -

we're still the same people - doing the same thing - here because we like the music - not because were invisible (or invincible)

Well said Pippi! I am sober and I agree with you
    Life is indeed too bloody short to let things like that affect you that much.

Re: and another thing . .

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pippi617
    [B]I find it rather comforting seeing the other fixxtures on line.

"I come home from work when all others are usually asleep & one of the first things that I do is check the board. I look to see who's here with me & firstly I see Alannah & Heimo. It eases me to know that they are safe and sound - I picture them starting their new day - thousands of miles away - and yet so close because I see them there on the board. "

Exactly the same with me, pippi. Picture you all staying awake at night or something like that. I love it. But that is just my opinion. And yes, of course, knowing you are awake so late at night wants me to send you a pm sometimes, just to ask you how you are doing..."

Originally posted by Steve Pariseau
    The guy who pays the bills hate's the idea of anonymous
    lurking.

So do I, and so does Ed.

We haven't polled the remaining Moderator as she is busy with a prescious newborn right now.
    Well put and the one point that seems to have escaped the ones who are against this being done...."the guy who pays the bills hate's the idea"....and yet I still haven't heard an answer from any of the dissenters from my question of awhile back....

Would you have joined this board in the first place if the invisibility factor wasn't there when you joined?
    "I knew a transsexual guy whose only ambition was to eat, drink, and be Mary." ~ George Carlin.

Guys, it's great to see the names at the bottom, if it isn't compromising anyone's privacy. I'm totally stoked when I see that there are a lot of people looking at the board. But some of those folks wanted privacy - a good number of them chose not to be listed. They were still here and still participating, though, and I respect their right to privacy and understood their need for it.

Geoff, of course I joined to discuss the band - it's a question that doesn't NEED to be answered. But I surf privately wherever I go (except now when I have to log on to post here). I wasn't cloaked here at first, but something happened last year that made me switch to invisible mode - it wasn't happening through the board, so the mods couldn't do anything about it. It stopped when I cloaked. So now I have to log in, log out, log in log out and hope they aren't paying attention here anymore. Obviously, another other option is not to participate here anymore. So, my return question for the moderators is: Do you really mean to show those who need privacy the door?
    Bash,
    Co-Founder, B.A.A.S.

Originally posted by deBASHmode
    Geoff, of course I joined to discuss the band - it's a question that doesn't NEED to be answered. But I surf privately wherever I go (except now when I have to log on to post here). I wasn't cloaked here at first, but something happened last year that made me switch to invisible mode - it wasn't happening through the board, so the mods couldn't do anything about it. It stopped when I cloaked. So now I have to log in, log out, log in log out and hope they aren't paying attention here anymore. Obviously, another other option is not to participate here anymore. So, my return question for the moderators is: Do you really mean to show those who need privacy the door?
    Bash,
    I can understand your situation, I really can, having dealt with just what you are speaking of on other boards. I hated my experience on those boards because the time spent on them just wasn't fun. That has never been the case here.

I would, along with probably everyone else, hate to see you decide to leave the board over something like this or for any reason. I like having the opportunity to share views with you and to get input from you. That is where I get my biggest enjoyment from the board; not just from you but from everyone here. I love getting to hear from other Fixx fans and meet other people from around the world, albiet only net-wise. This is the only board I am a part of where I feel among friends.

That having been said....I don't believe that the loss of the "Invisibility" option impacts as many members as you seem to think. I have no doubt that some will leave because of this loss. Change doesn't sit well with some people. I could be wrong in this, I am quite often. But I believe that this was a possibility that the money guy and other moderators thought of before eliminating the option. This is a benevolent dictatorship...they will listen to what is said about changes and such but will do what they feel is best for the members. I have no problem with that...if I did have a problem with it I would have never joined.

Well, I'm done with this now....Hope you have a great day Bash!
    Last edited by SilentGeoff; 05-03-2005 at 10:01 AM.
    "I knew a transsexual guy whose only ambition was to eat, drink, and be Mary." ~ George Carlin.

Pippi...

I look to see who's here with me & firstly I see Alannah & Heimo. It eases me to know that they are safe and sound - I picture them starting their new day - thousands of miles away - and yet so close because I see them there on the board. Then I look and see DejaPete - and I stop to wonder "what in the hell is he doing up at this hour"?

What a beautiful thing to say.....

And You are right .. it is comforting to know that we are all "turning in the same, safe world...as you..."

Thank you for that reminder ....
    Love to you and my Fixxture family.... xoxoxo
    Jeanne

Ps... And I agree... really .. even though some of us do not like this option.. it is really no reason to leave the board and all that we have established here...
    Last edited by Jeanne Thelen; 05-03-2005 at 10:58 AM.

yeah!okay, now who wants ice cream?! I'm itching for a double decker waffle cone of blueberry cheesecake yogurt!!!!

I'm even willing to share. . . who's driving?!smooches!
    "Even the devil may cry when he looks around Hell and realizes that he is all alone"

Acheron Parthenopaeus

(Sherrilyn Kenyon, Devil May Cry)

http://www.wordclay.com/BookStore/BookStoreBookDetails.aspx?bookid=37784

Geoff, I hope you DON'T understand the harrassment, as I explained to you privately. Thanks for at least trying, though.

The rest of ya'll can sink yer teeth into my ever shrinkin' butt! Thanks for (NOT) understanding that not everyone is in your boat and that some people might have very good reasons for wanting a little extra cloak. Sheesh!

As for numbers, consider this: What Steve found annoying was that maybe 9 members were on, but he could only see 2 names. That's because the other 7 felt the need for privacy enough to go find the cloaking device and turn it on. It wasn't uncommon to find at least twice as many members cloaked as in open view. That should be enough for anyone to get the message that it was an important feature of the board for the majority of members logged in at any one time.

Now what do you see? The same basic 10-12 rotating in and out, most of whom were never cloaked to start with. And a bunch of guests, some of whom probably used to log in invisibly and would even participate on occasion. Now, in order to remain cloaked, they can't join in. And you still can't see who they are. I'm having trouble finding the upside there.

As for Jeff, I want to say that I really do appreciate that this board is here. I have members who help me pay for my board's expenses, and I always contribute to boards i use if there's a way to do it. Would gladly do that here, as well. But, call me a radical, I've never been able to blindly accept that he who holds the money bag always makes the wisest decisions.
    Bash,
    Co-Founder, B.A.A.S.

Originally posted by deBASHmode

As for numbers, consider this: What Steve found annoying was that maybe 9 members were on, but he could only see 2 names. That's because the other 7 felt the need for privacy enough to go find the cloaking device and turn it on. ". [/B]
    And if someone visits this board very often he could be able to feel who most of this invisibles fixxtures are...

For me nothing changes if you get you privacy back. Hope that happens soon...

Here's a point, that perhaps some of you or maybe none of you
    can possibly relate to:

Regarding invisible mode and why I would use it sometimes. I must admit that after a while I didn't like the idea of so many 'invisible' members being able to see me, thus I became invisible myself. Sometimes it would look as if the numbers kept on increasing, and sometimes I'd only see two names and the rest were not visible. Why did this make me uncomfortable?
    I am just paranoid LOL ...Should I really admit to that?

When I'd log in and I'd see 10 members, but no names, I felt like someone had one up on me (told you I was paranoid...LOL)
    So to be even, I became invisible.

It was just a psychological thing, I didn't like that I could be seen, when I couldn't see who was seeing me. I don't know if
    this makes any bloody sense, but I just thought I'd put another
    point of view across.

To those members who have other reasons for wanting to be invisible, please do not take offence at my comments! I just wondered if anyone else ever used the invisible mode option for the same reason as me?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast