Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Xm

Red Skies (React version)!

Jan 4, 80s Channel, 5:16 PM

Tara Lyn
    You know me, I'm the dark horse that just might win the race.

The whole REACT CD is killer! Why did I never buy it years ago? I am wearing out my copy already.
    I am the winner in any event.

Originally posted by The Queen
    The whole REACT CD is killer! Why did I never buy it years ago?
    I have asked myself the exact same question!

Tara Lyn

One Thing Leads To Another!

XM 80s Channel, 2:37 PM EST, January 16, 2006!

Tara Lyn

XM 80s Channel, 9:15 AM (approx) EST, January 19, 2006!

Tara Lyn

Red Skies! (React version)

1:12 PM EST, Jan 23, XM 80s Channel

Tara Lyn

Originally posted by taralyn919
    Red Skies! (React version)

Tara Lyn
    Isn't that the best version?

Red Skies (React version)

10:21 AM EST, Jan 26, 2006, XM 80s Channel

Tara Lyn

I thought I'd post this story from the Chicago Tribune about satellite radio:

Worth the hype? Don't touch that dial
    Satellite's adroit pull nothing to sniff at
    By Barbara Brotman

January 26, 2006

My head is not normally turned by techno-toys. Yet here I am, fiddling with dials, playing with the remote and generally wallowing in the new audio addition to our household.

I am in love with satellite radio. I never imagined I would be. The idea sounded ridiculous. Pay for radio when it already came into my house for free? Who would do that?

I found out during dinner at our friends' house. At some point during the evening, I became aware of the music.

It was fabulous. Sort of pop, and sort of indie; laid-back enough for conversation, but edgy enough to pique interest. I felt simultaneously relaxed and cool. If I hadn't known better, I would have thought I was at Starbucks.

I asked our hostess what she was playing.

"The music of Starbucks," she said. "We have satellite radio."

And they had more, it became clear from a few minutes of ecstatic testimonials.

A huge assortment of interesting channels. Endless music without having to think about what to play. Endless music without any commercials.

And most compelling to me, hours of music I was loving but would never have been able to choose myself.

We had to have it.

So we signed up for XM Satellite Radio, and the real love-fest began.

The Starbucks channel (Hear Music, produced by the same company that provides the music at Starbucks) would have been pleasure enough. But there are some 159 more.

There is more music and talk than I could ever possibly listen to. There is a folk channel my husband adores. A punk/ska channel my daughter would love if we gave her a turn at the dial. Show tunes. World music. Hits from every decade from the 1940s on. Fourteen different channels of rock music alone. And that's not counting the talk, comedy (albeit not Howard Stern, who is on XM's competitor Sirius, alas for my stripper and swear-word interests) and special performances.

But even listening to just a fraction of satellite's offerings, I am getting a full dose of its pleasures. Because for me, satellite isn't just the music it plays; it has changed the way I listen to music.

My listening habits had deteriorated over the years. Overwhelmed by choices and no longer familiar with new music, I had pretty much retreated into my Neil Young and Grateful Dead albums. There are worse fates, of course, but I was missing an awful lot.

Now I know what I was missing. Son Volt, Goapele and Black Rebel Motorcycle Club--I still have no idea who these people are, but I sure am enjoying their music.

I find myself listening eagerly, almost hypnotically. Satellite radio exerts the same addictive pull that MTV did in its early days, when people watched for hours, endlessly curious to see what music video would come on next.

Now I want to hear what group or singer will come on next. The surprises are constant. A song called "Eloge de la Page Blanche" on an all-French song channel; Chrissie Hynde on, intriguingly, the folk channel, covering Tim Buckley's "Morning Glory"; John Batdorf and James Lee Stanley covering the Rolling Stones' "[I Can't Get No] Satisfaction."

You sit down for one song before walking the dog, and a half-hour later the dog has given up hope.

Commercial radio can't possibly match this quantity and variety. XM's channels are so smartly conceived and programmed that someone seems to be anticipating my interests before I am aware of them. And because the channels are narrowly defined, you can match your mood, or set one.

Have I mentioned the cool display on the radio listing the song and artist as it plays, practically begging for a game of "Name That Tune"?

That once-unthinkable concept of paying for radio? It's perfectly thinkable now. We pay for public radio, too, albeit voluntarily, and consider WBEZ well worth our membership money.

Besides, now that I have an endless supply of commercial-free music, I never have to buy a CD again. Satellite radio may end up saving me money.

But even if it continues to cost me, I have profited. I have found an excitement about music that I had lost. I pay for radio now, but I also pay far more attention.

The Perishers? Buffalo Tom? Maurice Ravel?

Why, I never would have thought of them.

But I'm glad I have someone who did.

She mentions the Black Rebel Motorcycle Club.
    That is The Call frontman Michael Been's son's band.

Word has it that Micheal Been does the sound at live shows.

REALLY?!?!?!? I had no idea! Gonna have to check them out....

I have been critical of the idea of paying for radio, but after Taralyn's constant reminders of my favorite Fixx songs playing on XM and now this article, I am seriously looking into it!

XM is awesome and I could not be without it...

Feb 14, 80s Channel, 8:30-ish AM

Tara Lyn

Red Skies (React version)

5:41 PM EST, 80s Channel, Feb. 14th

The Fixx twice in one day -- it is a Happy Valentine's Day!

Tara Lyn

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast