Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Hit Me Baby One More Time

An 80's music oriented new show

From the The 80's Nuts newsletter at Yahoo groups...

NBC will premiere their new series Hit Me Baby One More Time on Thursday, June 2nd.

The show features hitmakers of the past as they take the stage in a new competition where they will perform their biggest hit as well as one of today's current hits. A live audience will decide who deserves a second chance in the limelight. A Flock Of Seagulls, Loverboy, Tiffany, Howard Jones, The Romantics, Wang Chung, Irene Cara, Air Supply, The Knack, The Motels and Tommy Tutone are among the contestants.

Could be worth a viewing or 2....
    "I knew a transsexual guy whose only ambition was to eat, drink, and be Mary." ~ George Carlin.

In the water barrel just off of 80/94 (the former disaster, now vastly improved Borman Expressway) and now blissfully wed

Re: An 80's music oriented new show

Originally posted by SilentGeoff
    The show features hitmakers of the past as they take the stage in a new competition where they will perform their biggest hit as well as one of today's current hits.
    They don't have to sing some of the crap playing on the top 40 bullshit stations, do they?
    If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there. - GH 1943-2001

A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. - Thomas Jefferson's first Inaugural Address, 1801

Re: Re: An 80's music oriented new show

Originally posted by Zakath
    They don't have to sing some of the crap playing on the top 40 bullshit stations, do they?
    Yes, actually I think they do. But with different arrangements and not trying the karaoke that might not be a horrible thing.
    "I knew a transsexual guy whose only ambition was to eat, drink, and be Mary." ~ George Carlin.

In the water barrel just off of 80/94 (the former disaster, now vastly improved Borman Expressway) and now blissfully wed

Re: Re: Re: An 80's music oriented new show

Originally posted by SilentGeoff
    Yes, actually I think they do. But with different arrangements and not trying the karaoke that might not be a horrible thing.
    Air Supply might be able to get through some of today's garbage without wanting to slit their throats, but could you really see The Knack doing it?
    If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there. - GH 1943-2001

A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. - Thomas Jefferson's first Inaugural Address, 1801

I thought about going to see the first show live - as tickets were still available. But, it's the same week and Bryan Adams & Def Leppard and I wasn't sure if I wanted to give that one up for bands I had already seen. If the show's any good perhaps I'll attend one in the near future. They film on my day off.
    ~Bathe In A Turning Tide~

Originally posted by Zakath
    Air Supply might be able to get through some of today's garbage without wanting to slit their throats, but could you really see The Knack doing it?
    Yeah I could see The Knack doing a current song. The Knack has a history of remaking songs. While there is a dearth of quality material residing in the Top 40 these days...there is some good stuff out there. And I don't think that by saying "one of today's current hits" they specifically mean on the charts now....it's probably something that has been a hit in the recent past.

I believe this is yet another one of our 'wonderful' imports, such as Pop Idol.....ugh...

Hit Me Baby One More Time is on over here at the moment. Have not watched it, but do recall Howard Jones was in it. However he didn't make it pass the first vote. Instead, people voted for? Tiffany!!!!

here's some info regarding the UK version playing at the moment:
    http://www.sky.com/showbiz/article/0...176764,00.html

Originally posted by Alannah86
    I believe this is yet another one of our 'wonderful' imports, such as Pop Idol.....ugh...

Hit Me Baby One More Time is on over here at the moment. Have not watched it, but do recall Howard Jones was in it. However he didn't make it pass the first vote. Instead, people voted for? Tiffany!!!!

here's some info regarding the UK version playing at the moment:
    http://www.sky.com/showbiz/article/0...176764,00.html
    Yeah it is probably the same thing. But given the relative lack of imagination that is shown in summer TV programming this doesn't sound like the worst that could be shown. It is at least something new [note the lack of "different" there....since the ideas are all the same formula] compared to watching "Everybody Loves Raymond" reruns. There are times throughout the summer when wanting to just lounge about when something [anything] new on TV is a blessing.

CAN T.V. Get any more stupid?????
    Is it any wonder I refuse to have cable?????

AUGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Yeah, I too would have to agree with the majority that this show looks and sounds like poor reality tv. Unfortunately, since I've seen most of these groups during those early MTV days (like the Fixx) I will end up watching it for curiosity reasons and the fact that there will not be much else to watch this summer anyway.

Originally posted by Jeanne Thelen
    CAN T.V. Get any more stupid?????
    Is it any wonder I refuse to have cable?????
    Contrary to the mediocrity of that statement, I would view this program as a great opportunity for, not only the band that wins, but supreme exposure to ALL the bands that participate.

It's a win / win situation for the bands, the network, and fans of all the participating bands. I just hope it is done right (not with mean spirited comments by the likes of Simon Cowell).

I don't know about this one. I think it would sound a heck of a lot more credible if the performers were tasked to sing one of their hits and a new original song. Doing a cover of somebody else's work...yikes.

OKAY....maybe "stupid" was a bit harsh!!!

Being an avid Television avoider( i can go days...weeks...without turning the silly thing on..) I will apologize for throwing my "opinion "out there....

and as a penance, I will admit that even I fell prey to the last American Idol....who didn't love Carrie and Bo???????

BUT...SERIOUSLY.... ANOTHER reality show??????

maybe what I really meant to say is that televeison is SADLY lacking in imagine....

What 's next???

How to become a Hilton????

TICK...TICK...TICK... DING!
    there is never a egg timer when you need one!!!!
    Last edited by Jeanne Thelen; 06-02-2005 at 10:11 AM.

Originally posted by Jeanne Thelen
    What 's next???

How to become a Hilton????

TICK...TICK...TICK... DING!
    there is never a egg timer when you need one!!!!
    Actually if I'm not mistaken that there Hilton show you propose is actually on the schedule....no joke....it's real....or REALITY....

Here is it's description...

I Want to Be a Hilton (June 21): Hilton matriarch Kathy Hilton entertains 14 contestants who want to live the life of a New York socialite. The winner gets to live like a Hilton (without the X-rated home movies) for a year.
    Last edited by SilentGeoff; 06-02-2005 at 08:30 AM.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast