Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Hit Me Baby One More Time

I think it would sound a heck of a lot more credible if the performers were tasked to sing one of their hits and a new original song. Doing a cover of somebody else's work...yikes.

I have to agree!!!
    Why bother trying to do someone else work???
    IF they managed to have a hit once(or twice) what is stopping them from testing their" talent "and doing it again....

It is all so gimicky ... and if they really wanted to be back in the spotlight....
    why not get on the road and do some good old fashion hard work and earn the respect and love of their fans... whether old ...or drawing in some new ones....
    There is some real talent in the line up...ei: Howard Jones...

why stoop so low as to be part of something that in the end will be remembered as "another reality show"????

I missed it. I had planned to watch it and then snoozed in front of the tv.... it's the last few days of school and the little rascals wore me out...

How bad was it? Or was it actually bearable?
    "I've left Bethlehem. I feel free. I've left the girl I was supposed to be." - P. C.

The best way to watch it is record it and fast forward through the cheesy announcer guy [who may well be the same guy who hosted the British original of the show and is irritating as hell]. The performances weren't horrible [excepting the Flock Of Seagulls who, IMO, butchered their own "I Ran" then couldn't even do justice to the Ryan Cabrera song they chose and Loverboy's playing of "Working For The Weekend" was weak at best but they made up for it by doing a very good rendition of Enrique Iglesias' "Hero"]. Arrested Development was by far the best act on the show doing the hit "Tennessee" and then remaking and rearranging the Los Lonely Boys tune "Heaven". And they ended up winning the audience poll to determine who won the $20,000 donation to the group's favorite charity. Not a bad show considering the whole "game show" feel but probably not one that will get a large audience.
    "I knew a transsexual guy whose only ambition was to eat, drink, and be Mary." ~ George Carlin.

won the $20,000 donation to the group's favorite charity.

Well....at least something good is coming out of this!!!!!!

It was like watching a train wreck...I had to keep looking. I came into it half way through... I saw Tiffany do a so-so version of her hit first. Then, when Flock of Seagulls came on...I DIDN'T KNOW WHO IT WAS!!!! Then the host mentioned it and I about gagged. Arrested Development? Well, they have talent and always have...I pegged them to win from the get-go.

Next week's show might have some promise... Ug.
    Fluxus is not: a movement, a moment in history, an organization. Fluxus is: an idea, a kind of work, a tendency, a way of life, a changing set of people who do Fluxworks.
    --Dick Higgins

why not get on the road and do some good old fashion hard work and earn the respect and love of their fans...

agree.. if they are looking for exposure ... and want to re connect with their fans...

It seems to be working here!!!

does not sound like it was a "hit" with those who tuned into the show!!!

Generally, sad show. Of course, we can all forgive folks for getting older and not looking so fabulous. That's life. I did expect some of the acts to sound a little better.

Mike Reno's voice was sort of a lesser version of his old Loverboy voice, but he kind of sings through his nose now. He did seem happy and energetic though.

Tiffany's breasts were fairly menacing, particularly when she leaned over too much. She sounded fine, though, she made me think how much better Kelly Clarkson does her own song. American Idol 101 - never do a song that's so identifiable with another artist unless you can meet it or surpass it.

FOS was by far the lowest point. Score came out with two guys who looked like they were supposed to be in some other band. Not sure if he was actually in the band or just there for decoration. Anyway, Mr. Cowell have said...you hit more bum notes than good ones. I don't know why anyone would want to go and see them play after that.

CeCe Peniston and Arrested Development seemed the best of the night.

The host is a very annoying guy that nobody over here knows. Incredibly tall too. He made most of the performers look like munchkins. Whatever. I guess he was cheap.

So, I kept thinking through the whole thing how superior our boys are. Still sound awesome. Still got their hair. They would shred everyone else on a show like this. But of course I am also relieved it is unlikely they would ever turn up on such a program (the cover song alone would sour the deal). There's gotta be a better opportunity around the corner that's more deserving...

Originally posted by fiona983
    why stoop so low as to be part of something that in the end will be remembered as "another reality show"????
    First off, Hit Me Baby One More Time is not "Reality" TV as you know it. It is an entertainment show with recording artists performing music. After their performances the live audience picks their favorite performer and an amount of money is then donated to the winning performer's choice charity. Geoff said it best using the words "game show feel".

And I agree with Musegirl and others that it would have been much better to have each group do one of their NEW songs instead of a cover tune. But us Fixxtures aren't the Producers of the show so we gotta take what they're giving.

Here's my take on the show...

I hate Loverboy but I truly believe they had the best performance of the night. Working for The Weekend did start out weak but ended strong. The cover tune Hero was very well done.

I'm a guy, so what's not to like about boobs? Well, Musegirl hit it on the head saying Tiffany's were manacing. Fake as hell and let me tell you - bigger is NOT better! Her tune was Ok, but she wore clothes that made her look 4 months pregnant.

I used to LOVE A Flock Of Seagulls. I have ALL their stuff including every little rare gem ever released. But I have to say they flat out sucked ass on the show. Mike can not hold a tune anymore. The cover tune was BETTER than I Ran but it was much too little too late. And Mike's girlfriend looks like a washed up smoking druggie.

Ce Ce Peniston and Arrested Development both did well.

Toward the end of the show they did sort of a what are they up to know segment. Loverboy and AFOS both focused on what the lead singer was doing now. The Arrested Development segment included everyone. They talked about how they meet frequently to write and sing and play hard together. I belive it helped them win.

I liked the chance to see all these band play again and in a good spotlight. I will continue to enjoy the show. Like I said before, it's a good opportunity for the bands (unless you are AFOS in which case you just let a bunch of people down), and it's good for the fans too.

I watched the whole show. I'm in agreement with everything Musegirl said in her last post. Flock of Seagulls sounded awful. However, that show seems to have a way of not being flattering to anyone. I'm not a big fan of Loverboy, but I heard them a couple years ago, and Mike Reno's voice sounded much better than on that show. Also, Loverboy is on tour. They are playing 2 separate concerts here in Western New York this summer. I won't be going to either one though.

It is an entertainment show with recording artists performing music. After their performances the live audience picks their favorite performer and an amount of money is then donated to the winning performer's choice charity. Geoff said it best using the words "game show feel".

My mistake.....

Still has a "American Idol" sort of feel to it...
    But I will go with "game show"

Question Hit Me Baby One More Time

Did anyone see this show on NBC last week?

Here's the link:

http://www.nbc.com/nbc//Hit_Me_Baby/index.shtml

A Flock Of Seagulls, Arrested Development, CeCe Peniston, Loverboy, and Tiffany all performed one of their hit songs along with a cover of a popular contemporary song. The audience then votes for their favorite.

Performing this week are Haddaway, The Knack, The Motels, Tommy Tuntone, and Vanilla Ice.

Doesn't this seem like a perfect opportunity for some good exposure for The Fixx? Any national TV appearance would be a good thing.

We had a discussion on this in the Outside forum.

Look here

I dunno. I'm still trying to figure out the point of the show. So the bands play one of their songs and then play one of someone else's songs and we have to trust in the audience to "pick" the band that did the best job.

Puhleaze.

The announcer drove me crazy. Are we supposed to admire him because he's got a Liverpool-ian accent? What's the point of him?

I was surprised at how good CeCe Peniston sounded and looked. I wanted Loverboy to sound better. I never cared for Arrested Development back in the 80s so why would i care for them now? If you watched the VH1 special of reuniting bands, you would've seen how bad Flock of Seagulls sounds now.

I didn't take it as a reality show, just an entertainment show, but this voting crap to make it as a reality show- who needs it? Just bring in the musicians, tell the audience you're here to listen to music you liked 15-20 years ago and enjoy. No voting, no gimmicks. Just music.

Or has the American public's perception of tv really gone "town the tubes?"

In the water barrel just off of 80/94 (the former disaster, now vastly improved Borman Expressway) and now blissfully wed
    Originally posted by fotolinda
    Or has the American public's perception of tv really gone "town the tubes?"
    Down the tubes? Was this ever in question?

The long survival of shows like "Full House" should tell you all you need to know about what the American public thinks is entertaining...
    If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there. - GH 1943-2001

A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. - Thomas Jefferson's first Inaugural Address, 1801

Ack- tv column today says the show last week was the No 1 program among 18-49 year olds and the top-debuting summer reality series in two years.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast