Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Hit Me Baby One More Time

I am not sure that the Fixx would consider "that" kind of exposure.. HMMMMM!!!!!!!!!

especially since Cy is not that big on T.V. in general ...or so it seems.... according to his comments from the Fine Line about "Do you ever feel while you are watching Televison that they are insulting your intelligence whilst they are trying to sell you something??? Then you ask your self... How much is enough?"

Indeed!!!

Originally posted by fotolinda
    Ack- tv column today says the show last week was the No 1 program among 18-49 year olds and the top-debuting summer reality series in two years.
    That's interesting, it didn't do that well over here. Personally, the programme wasn't my cup of tea, then again, I hardly watch telly anyway. People over here seem more interested in the 6th Big Brother....yawn....

Or has the American public's perception of tv really gone "town the tubes?"
    I'm not sure the concept of bringing back 80's artists to perform isn't a good one. A little nostalgia can be great when it's done well. I don't think that they put those folks on the show to embarrass themselves or anything...it just worked out that way.

The thing is, if an artist is out there touring and recording new material, I think they should have to be, well...good. Maybe they don't hit all the old high notes, but they replace them with attainable ones that sound decent.

[Note to Steve - I don't think Tiffany's were fake (if so, she should get a refund)...she just looked like she was nursing.]

So, tonight's lineup is The Motels, The Knack, Tommy Tutone, Vanilla Ice and Haddaway. Here are the covers everybody is doing...

The Motels - Don't Know Why (Norah Jones)
    The Knack - Are You Gonna Be My Girl (Jet)
    Vanilla Ice - Survivor (Destiny's Child)
    Tommy Tutone - All The Small Things (Blink 182)
    Haddaway - Toxic (Britney Spears)

Who do you think will do the best tonight? I'm kinda figuring on The Motels, but I haven't heard anything out of them in years.

Originally posted by musegirl
    I'm not sure the concept of bringing back 80's artists to perform isn't a good one. A little nostalgia can be great when it's done well. I don't think that they put those folks on the show to embarrass themselves or anything...it just worked out that way.
    I LOVE the fact that they're bringing back 80s artists to perform. So let them perform. This format of who's better and voting them off the island doesn't sit right. Nor does the cheesy mc. I would sit down in front of the tv, dinner and drink in hand, and just watch them play. But this competition stuff- bleah.

And an aside- buying your tickets today for the 9:30 Club show?!?

Re: Hit Me Baby One More Time

Originally posted by DanBoutin
    Doesn't this seem like a perfect opportunity for some good exposure for The Fixx? Any national TV appearance would be a good thing.
    I thought the same thing, Dan....a national TV appearance even in what amounts to a cheesy "game show" type forum would be great exposure. There are too many people out there that may have liked The Fixx in the heyday that may not realize they are not only still together but are releasing music that is still very good and are touring yearly. How could doing one song of the band's choice from a current artist cheapen what the band has done up to this point. Anyone who watched the first episode of this realizes that arrangement of the way the song is done is left up to the artist. Case in point Arrested Development's version of Los Lonely Boy's "Heaven. If you heard them do it on the show you would have figured it was one of their originals.

That having been said I wonder if the way things are now with The Fixx are the way the guys want it to be. I can respect someone who still wants to perform but doesn't want the hassles of the "big tour" and having to put out material on the schedule of a record company and the interviews all the time and other appearances. Compared to doing the nice club tour and putting out new music when they want. It could be that the latter is the choice of the band.
    "I knew a transsexual guy whose only ambition was to eat, drink, and be Mary." ~ George Carlin.

I DO NOT disagree that some exposure would be good for the band....

And they have done some recent television appearences, during the last tour...

I just do not see them doing something like "Hit Me One More Time"

It does not seem to be the sort of program that walks hand in hand with the bands integrity....

But ,...

I suppose that stranger things have happened....................

IAnd an aside- buying your tickets today for the 9:30 Club show?!?
    Ah, they just went on sale. I'm sure we'll score a couple pretty soon. Here's the big question...who will go on first? I sort of hope it's the boys. I've seen Berlin before. Didn't really do it for me.

Jeanne Thelen....
    I just do not see them doing something like "Hit Me One More Time"

It does not seem to be the sort of program that walks hand in hand with the bands integrity....
    I agree

exposure is nice sure, but Cy himself has said that even mentioning bands like AFOS in the same sentence as The FIXX to him is tantamount to a slap in the face

Im sure its nothing personal either, its business.. Cy wants artistic separation and rightly so

plus isnt Vanilla Ice featured on this show?

I hardly ever watch the tube, but I'll check HMBOMT tonight, sounds interesting but IMO its not the type of exposure the FIXX need
    Last edited by Octopulse; 06-09-2005 at 06:57 PM.
    In germany some people say it's like medicine. It's good against heartattack. If it is a lie - who cares?

-- Heimo on red wine

Oh man- I love Berlin. I last saw them in 1988. I could be happy with the two of them alternating songs.

I missed them when they were here in 2003, so I'm really psyched for this show. Not to mention that I'll be seeing the boys 2 nights prior in Annapolis. It's going to be a good week. I even took Friday off to recoup.

But that is a good question- who is going to open for whom!?

sounds interesting but IMO its not the type of exposure the FIXX need

AGREE.....

I could see something with a bit more "CLASS"......

I have to agree in regards to The Fixx not needing to be on this type of programme. When this show was on over here, I could not help but see the people on it as a bunch of desperate has-beens trying to find success again.

Of course one can argue that any form of exposure is a good thing for the band but I think the lads deserve better than to be on some tacky television show! The Fixx are not 80's has-beens!

I must admit to being very disappointed when I saw Howard Jones on the English version of this show. However seeing talentless people such as Tiffany on, didn't surprise me at all, those are the type of artists I would expect to be on this type of programme.

I hope no one takes offence at my comments, it's just my own personal opinion and not meant to offend anyone who liked any of the artists featured on this show

However seeing talentless people such as Tiffany on, didn't surprise me at all, those are the type of artists I would expect to be on this type of programme.

would have to agree again, Alannah!!!

It seems to be a "one hit wonder" revision show....

and the Fixx ...do Not fit in that catagory AT ALL!!!

no offence taken....

Smile Hit Me Baby One More Time

Hello Dan,

You stole my thunder. I heard the commerical for the show this morning and I started wondering the same thing. I just logged on to ask the Fixxtures what they thought.

At first I thought what a great opportunity! You know The Fixx would blow any of those bands away.

The part that kept bothering me is that many of these bands have not done any new music in years.

It always makes we wonder why The Fixx have to open for the Furs. To me the Furs are like these bands on the show. Good bands from yesteryear playing the same old music. The Fixx play are nice assortment of new music and old.

My feeling is going on this show would be great for exposure, but is not saying much about The Fixx. It is kind of like saying I am not a loser, am I?

And if they win, you are excited that you beat out Tommy Tutone? I can see it now the boys jumping up and down because they beat Haddaway. And new week, The Fixx take on Boy George and the Culture Club.

Fixxation

Ok, having watched last night's show- I thought The Knack and Tommy Tutone did well. I also thought Haddaway did well. The Motels- I always loved the Motels. Love Martha Davis. Own everything of theirs.

And Vanilla Ice wins it??? What drugs are these people on?

I would enjoy the show much more if it weren't coming across as cheesy. Notice how at the same point in everyone's song they make the audience noise louder? And the announcer has got to go. And the voting has just got to go, because anyone who picks a blatant rip off song (where they've even exclaimed it's a completely different song- yeah, right) should not deserve to win.

I saw the first episode but haven't seen the second one yet. I agree with everything that's been said about the first one... menacing boobs... hahahaha... I had a great laugh about that one! They were indeed... and perhaps, Steve, she IS 4 months pregnant...? Could be I suppose.

I found it interesting that the winners (Arrested Development) are living in my hometown. I could've met them at a garage sale and not even realized it. LOL!! Arrested Development and then Vanilla Ice?? Hmmm... I see a trend... the kids are into rap these days... not surprising.

I'm waiting to see Howard Jones and Night Ranger though... I'm hoping they'll both do well.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast