Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Hit Me Baby One More Time

Originally posted by SilentGeoff
    The last 2 shows yes.....but the first one Arrested Development wasn't the last to perform....Tiffany was.
    Well damn. There goes that theory.

Ok, does anyone else see that the audience is smoking crack?

Originally posted by fotolinda
    Well damn. There goes that theory.

Don't know about crack....they could be pumping something in through the ventilation system there like they used to at Studio 54.
    "I knew a transsexual guy whose only ambition was to eat, drink, and be Mary." ~ George Carlin.

Originally posted by Zakath
    Nice to see mass stupidity reigns on both sides of the Big Pond. Makes me so hopeful about the future of the planet.
    LOL Zakath! Yes, it is indeed true. Over here the latest number one is a gimmicky annoying bloody frog from a mobile ring tone that has been turned into a song...this particular ditty has beat Coldplay to number one!
    Last edited by Alannah86; 06-17-2005 at 12:46 PM.

In the water barrel just off of 80/94 (the former disaster, now vastly improved Borman Expressway) and now blissfully wed
    Originally posted by Alannah86
    LOL Zakath! Yes, it is indeed true. Over here the latest number one is a gimmicky annoying bloody frog from a mobile ring tone that has been turned into a song...this particular ditty has beat Coldplay to number one!
    Then there's hope for the Geico gecko if he ever decides to go into the music biz and stop selling overpriced car insurance. (Sorry, but if you're switching to Geico and saving money, you must have been getting raped before.)
    If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there. - GH 1943-2001

A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. - Thomas Jefferson's first Inaugural Address, 1801

Originally posted by SilentGeoff
    I want to know....when did Irene Cara become a group?

...she had a back-up vocalist singing some lead on the cover song....so I guess Ms. Cara is a group now....
    If you had listened up during the "what she is doing now" segment you would have heard her say that she has formed a band called Golden Caramel and she is having her band join her for tonights cover tune. (read with a jestful tone - not mean spirited).

I feel Howard Jones blew it by not doing his most popular tune. A slow song was the wrong answer for that crowd. He could have won otherwise. Howard Jones is winning on the internet poll (www.nbc.com). Personally, I think Wang Chung did a great job and picked a great cover tune with spunk and appeal to the youngins.

Originally posted by Steve Pariseau
    If you had listened up during the "what she is doing now" segment you would have heard her say that she has formed a band called Golden Caramel and she is having her band join her for tonights cover tune.
    Yeah, that would have been it then....I can't listen to the announcer guy for any length of time so outside of the performances themselves I fast forward through the rest of the show to avoid any contact with the voice.
    "I knew a transsexual guy whose only ambition was to eat, drink, and be Mary." ~ George Carlin.

this week I see that among the folks scheduled are: Greg Kihn (whose Breakup Song was great), along with Thelma Houston (Disco Era, Don't Leave Me This Way), and Glass Tiger (Don't Forget Me). But they have 2 TBA's, meaning at least two bands got cold feet (or common sense) and pulled out.

I think this show is perfect for one hit wonders like Haddaway, Tiffany, The Knack, and Glass Tiger, even multiple hit-ters like Wang Chung, but I am disappointed in HOJO, Greg Kihn, and the Motels showing up on this show.

I only watched the one with the knack and thought they did the best cover with the Jet song. The Motels version of Norah Jones grated on me even though "Only the Lonely" is one of the great songs of the 80's.

I just hope they can get U2 to do "she will be loved" or maybe REM to do Coldplay. Just kidding xxif.

Jim
    I'm drivin' in my car, I used to be able to walk this far

STILL stuck in the water slide at the Vegas Hard Rock pool...
    I can't tell you how many people at work are talking about this show and asking me why The Fixx aren't on it. I tell them the band was invited but felt it was a circus/game show when you consider how the voting has gone. Folks have tended to agree the results haven't quite indicated the real talent that might have been on display.
    web site | blog | photos | Twitter (primary)
    ----
    "And the Vino di Vici will flow like a river in spring,
    Now the fix(x), the fix(x) is in." - Elbow

I feel Howard Jones blew it by not doing his most popular tune.
    But "No One Is To Blame" WAS his most popular tune. Most casual fans would remember this tune over "Things Can Only Get Better" or "Everlasting Love." But I do agree with you, that a more upbeat song would've gone miles further with the crack-smoking-but-beautiful-for-tv audience.

Originally posted by Zakath
    Nice to see mass stupidity reigns on both sides of the Big Pond. Makes me so hopeful about the future of the planet.

HA! LOL!!
    GOOD ONE!

Another good one!! HA! LOL!!
    Last edited by fiona983; 06-20-2005 at 02:25 PM.

Originally posted by Rain
    But "No One Is To Blame" WAS his most popular tune. Most casual fans would remember this tune over "Things Can Only Get Better" or "Everlasting Love." But I do agree with you, that a more upbeat song would've gone miles further with the crack-smoking-but-beautiful-for-tv audience.
    If Howard Jones was going with Dido's "White Flag," I thought "No One Is To Blame" was the correct choice. It set up him well for doing the Dido tune.

Basically, I think that the audience went with the most memorable, biggest charting, of the 80's that was played, and that was, "What A Feeling..." I also think that Wang Chung hit it with their cover. It was the best cover of the bunch.

I agree with the comments about the announcer too. He is very annoying! What a knock off of Simon, or whatever that guy's name is on that American Idol show.

-Mctalg

Originally posted by Rain
    But "No One Is To Blame" WAS his most popular tune.
    Perhaps it was on paper. I remember hearing Things Can Only Get Better a heck of a lot more on the radio than No One Is To Blame. That's what led me to make that statement.

I had thought about attending the taping of the show next week. But now with all of this crack smoking, perhaps I'll forfeit. I gave up crack years ago.

~Bathe In A Turning Tide~

Steve,

I think the original HoJo version of "No One Is To Blame" was not that big, but the souped-up, Phil Collins on drums version was a huge hit. I heard it so many times that I began to dislike it actually. And for me, the added percussion kinda overshadowed the powerful lyrics. Anytime I listen to the song, I only listen to the original version from "Dream into Action". Just my opinion though.

jim
    I'm drivin' in my car, I used to be able to walk this far

In the water barrel just off of 80/94 (the former disaster, now vastly improved Borman Expressway) and now blissfully wed
    The lineup for this week:

Billy Vera - At This Moment; no cover tune listed
    Club Nouveau - Lean on Me; no cover tune listed
    Glass Tiger - Don't Forget Me (When I'm Gone); covering Vertical Horizon's Everything You Want
    Greg Kihn- The Breakup Song; covering Green Day's Boulevard of Broken Dreams
    Thelma Houston - Don't Leave Me This Way; no cover listed
    If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there. - GH 1943-2001

A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. - Thomas Jefferson's first Inaugural Address, 1801

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast