View Poll Results: What's your favorite Fixx Studio album?

Voters
318. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shuttered Room

38 11.95%
  • Reach The Beach

83 26.10%
  • Phantoms

70 22.01%
  • Walkabout

51 16.04%
  • Calm Animals

23 7.23%
  • Ink

13 4.09%
  • Elemental

28 8.81%
  • Want That Life

9 2.83%
  • 1011 Woodland

2 0.63%
  • Stage One

1 0.31%
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite Fixx album?

Smile

Wow. I've been out of town a couple days and its been interesting reading, catching up on everyones "opinions". I would have to say my favorite album is Phantoms. I'm blown away by how many people are mentioning Elemental. I guess I need to listen to that one more. Walkabout has been in my CD player a lot lately. I like the harder edge that some of the songs on there have, and also love the hidden track.

Smile

My favorite is Phantoms (not hard to figure that out: look left). Next is reach the Beach. You have also convinced me to buy Elementals.

Smile

For me, it is definitely "Walkabout". I still play it all the time. "Treasure It", "Camphor" and "Secret Separation" are probably my favourite Fixx songs. Phantoms, Ink and Calm Animals are also fine. The only real weak album is Elemental. Happy Landings was the only decent track IMO.

Smile

Oh come now Beagle. I know Elemental is a different sound but to call it a weak album is wrong. How many times have you truly listened to the album? I hope you are not calling it weak after hearing it a few times. It's one of those albums you have to really spin often before it starts to flow through your veins. If you still think it's weak after that, then fine, but give it an honest listen first. I truly feel no Fixx album is weak. They all have a special touch to the soul.

Smile

I bought it twice. Listened to it about 10 times. Got rid of it. Bought it again about two months ago, listened a few more times, still sounded weak, so I ditched it yet again. Perhaps I will try for a third time to make it stick.

But no Rupert Hine, no Danny Brown = no"fix".

Smile

3rd times a charm beagle. It's funny how you mentioned no Rupert Hine means no "fix" as you put yet you mentioned in your previous post that you liked Ink and Calm Animals as well even though William Whitman was the producer, except for "ATBT" on Ink. Anyway, I like Dan Brown as well but does it really make a difference who the bassist is? This is a band that has had 4 bassists in the past. I don't consider him the heart and soul of the fixx sound. Anyway, give Elemental a true listen and then let us know what you think.

Smile

OK I liked Elemental and it grew on me. Especially some of the lyrics. Particularly Ocean Blue. The carthartic release at the end it great. I just wish I knew what all the symbolism was. But I digress.
    Elemental was better than expected. Ink was disappointing, but I loved Crucified.
    As whole albumns go I have to say Reach the Beach or Walkabout. Phantoms is probably 3rd or 4rth. Shuttered Room is a lot different from the rest and has more raw expressiveness that I liked.
    But the keyboard/synth stuff on Walkabout and the minimalist stuff of RTB puts them ahead of the rest as far as I'm concerned. Outside is just an amazing example of how much expression you can have with so little sound. There's some interview done of Jamie where he mentions how much more efficient his playing has gotten.

Smile

All the Fixx albumns are great, but the one that I think is by far the most unique is "Shuttered Room." The variety of material there is so vast and different from everything else that was out at the time.

Second Favorite would be a tie between Walkabout and Reach the Beach. "Outside" from RTB is still one of my favorite tunes. No one and I mean No one can belt it out like Cy!!!

Talking

What an interesting bunch of posted messages, and opinions. I guess I've never really thought about what Fixx album is most important to me. However, I do know that "Calm Animals" is my least favorite. It was such a drastic departure for me, and I guess I've always harbored negative feelings about this release. Not purely due to the music, but that maybe their new record label at the time had exerted too much influence on the band. The end result was not as satisfying too me. My choice song from that album would have to be "Gypsy Feet."

"Ink" has taken some abuse from some of you, but I have to agree with the earlier comment that upon its release, "it really stood out from other records" already on the market. Has it held up? Maybe not as well as earlier recordings, but there is good music there.

I must admit that I don't own a copy of "Elemental," but I do have a few of their CD singles from that release. You now have motivated me to go and acquire it.

My favorite Fixx album? Though I enjoy the sounds of "Shuttered Room" (including "The Strain"), "Reach the Beach" (including "Running" and "Liner"), and "Walkabout," the album that I most often go back to is "Phantoms." I hold a special place in my heart for "Sunshine In The Shade," and the two song spiritual connection at its conclusion, "I Will" and "Phantom Living."

Long live the Fixx!

Smile

This really depends on the day. Until quite recently I would have said Elemental, but I've gone back to Walkabout and I've been impressed all over again by the construction of the album. Following after that, I would have to say Reach the Beach.

Shuttered Room is a great album as well because of all the energy running through it. I have a soft spot for Phantoms because I adore Phantom Living but I really only like the second half of the album. Calm Animals and Ink I'll only listen to for specific songs.

Thumbs up

Since my earlier post, this topic has really caused me to reflect even further upon the various Fixx releases. On a recent roadtrip I even pulled out tape copies that I made of the band being interviewed on Rockline in 1984 and 1986. I hadn't listened to those interviews in probably 10+ years.

Both Rockline broadcasts were quite fascinating. I enjoyed hearing again their insight on all of their albums through the Walkabout release. Of course the 1984 broadcast focused on Phantoms (still my favorite Fixx album), and the 1986 show centered on Walkabout.

I'm really fascinated with Walkabout right now, even more so after the latest Survivor series. My wife and I are big Survivor fans!

When I get a chance, I'll try and transcribe the interview segments from those broadcasts.

Take care!

[This message has been edited by mctalg (edited 05-05-2001).]

Question What's your favorite Fixx album?

Ok, so this is really just an excuse to try out the new POLL feature in vbulletin!

Trying out a new vbulletin feature: "Sticky" posts. by throwing this bit, the poll stays at the top of the forum so that new visitors will see it.

To be honest, I'm not sure yet if I like this feature - but I thought I'd give it a try!

jeff

Elemental Weak?! What!? No Rupert Hine and Dan K. Brown = No Fix?! Has somebody been putting something in your beggin' strips Beagle?

Octo

Last edited by Octopulse; 06-15-2001 at 05:24 AM.

I love all the albums, but if I have to pick favorites they would SR, RtB, and Elemental. I've listened to all the albums so much that I know when one song is finished what the next one is. It's difficult to listen to one of the other albums...greatest hits and the like and not automatically hear what I know is 'supposed' to be the next song from a regular album. The Fixx make awesome music!
    "Love and Peace"
    "Superficial life gets you in a trap"

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast