View Poll Results: What's your favorite Fixx Studio album?

Voters
317. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shuttered Room

38 11.99%
  • Reach The Beach

83 26.18%
  • Phantoms

70 22.08%
  • Walkabout

51 16.09%
  • Calm Animals

23 7.26%
  • Ink

13 4.10%
  • Elemental

28 8.83%
  • Want That Life

8 2.52%
  • 1011 Woodland

2 0.63%
  • Stage One

1 0.32%
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite Fixx album?

Phantoms has always been tops for me but sometimes RTB gets alot of time in my player.

Been a Fixxture for a long time.

best fixx cd

I am very partial to "Reach" because it is the album that addicted me to the group. I also will never forget the first time I heard "Stand or Fall" and got right on my bike to go get the long-playing record. Ahh, the good old days of youth. But setting sentiment of my youth aside, here is my ranking of the groups recordings:

1. Calm Animals- constantly in my player- beginning to end, a great cd- too bad the listening public was going rap and grunge and Mariah and Celine. They missed out on one of the strongest albums in the last ten years.

2. Reach the Beach- partly because of the pop appeal of numerous songs. Very strong the entire album.

3. Walkabout- Strong songwriting- beautifully played- why this is out of print is a testament to how stupid record companies really are.

4. Phantoms- I often prefer softer songs (go figure my Calm pick) so I was enthralled with "Facing the wind", "I will", "Wish".

5. Shuttrered Room- Stand or Fall is one of the great songs of any era, "Red Skies" and "The Strain" are great commentary also.

6. 1011 Woodland- The Fixx puts most other Acoustic/Unplugged efforts to shame with this one. I guess you can really tell how good their material is when you here these refreshing re-works.

7. Elemental and Ink- I just haven't listened to Elemental enough to place it any higher. I agree that Ink rates about the lowest, but it has so many great songs, "How Much", "Yesterday", "No one has to cry". Rating it last is like rating your best friends- there is little true difference from 1-8, just a matter of degree.

"the pan man fan's inventor was jailed"???
    OK, what the heck is a "pan man fan"? And why was the inventor jailed?
    I like RTB a LOT. Songs at the ends of each side (I first had this as a tape) are the most interesting. Privilege, Opinions, and Outside.
    Shuttered Room is very diiferent than most of the others so it's hard to compare. I like it a lot as well. A close third is Walkabout. Secret Separation never seemed very typical of their style. But Can't Finish and One Look Up are it!

After reading through this I went and looked through the stack of cd's here by the computer. Only Ink, Elemental, and Shuttered Room are up here.

Someone mentioned Ocean Blue off Elemental but what about Two Different Views?

And Falling in Love, No One has to Cry, and All is Fair from Ink.

IMHO every album has it's gems like Outside on RtB

............ "Man is a Beast".

So tough to call...I love them all, but the one that I'm most likely to listen to from start to finish, and have owned on vinyl, tape and CD, is Phantoms. I'm then tied with RTB, Shuttered Room and Walkabout as secondary favorites... I like Calm Animals and Ink too, but not nearly as much. Need to go find a copy of Elemental posthaste--it's the only one I don't have!
    Amy

"...just put myself where you are..."

Talking

Hey, Mollify--I was curious to know the same things you're asking! It was very funny the way you phrased your question, I must say. Do you know yet what a 'pan man fan' is? Suspense is killing me. lol

Anyways, to respond to the poll: I voted for Shuttered Room. Phantoms would be next. But really all of their first recordings (with that trademark Fixx sound) are my favs. Can't fairly give an opinion to the new tracks as I haven't gotten the CDs yet.

Talking Favorite? Give me a break

I'm so glad to see so many mentions for Elemental. Usually, fans are so partial to the early releases, they simply close their minds to the new stuff.
    I love all of their stuff.

Calm Animals...excellent! I'm Life, Driven Out, Precious Stone, Subterranean, The Flow.....Wow, this album is killer!

Walkabout...Camphor, Read Between the Lines, Teasure It....I simply treasure this music!

Reach The Beach....I grew up with this one. Totally wore out the tape, which I still have. Particularly love...Saved by 0, Opinions, and Outside.

Ink...Perhaps my favorite because I've listened to it so much since I don't own CDs of the above (I guess its about time I invest in some FixxCDs). It's interesting how Ink is a least favorite...oh, well, I guess one of them has to be...but, it's not mine. This album is powerful, from the music to the message...my favs on this one are...How Much is Enough, No 1 Has 2 Cry, Shut It Out!, Still Around, Yesterday-Today, ...uh, just about all of them.

I also love Elemental...Ocean Blue being my fave.

All I can say is don't give up on particular tracks or albums....music tends to grow on you the more you open your heart and mind....of course, there's always 2 different views.

Walkabout

As much as I love Reach The Beach, Phantoms and Elemental, my favorite is still Walkabout. The first time I heard Secret Seperation, I got chills, and when they played it live at the show last night, I nearly cried. The rest of the album really does it for me as well.

--DanDan
    Mainstream radio sucks! http://listen.to/kukq

Every album that the Fixx have recorded is excellent. I am sure many of you agree. What is exciting about Elemental is how the songs demonstrates the bands wonderful development. It was also the first album in a very long time. For those of us that have been Fixx fans since the beginning and thought that we may never hear a new album, Elemental was extremely exciting. And for the record, Ink is an amazing album.

Dana, I do agree. I love every FIXX album. In fact, it was very hard for me to enter a vote in the poll.

Looking at the poll results, it's encouraging that Elemental is doing so well. I can only hope that the boys continue to put out music. I know we'd all like one album a year, but at least one every few years would be nice. Afterall, they aren't getting any younger and I'm sure that there is a lot of music yet to be imagined by them.

I'm a huge Yes fan and I so glad that those guys have hung around for as long as they have. Yes just put out another album, yet to be released in the States, called "Magnification." It's really good. I bought a copy from Amazon.com.uk
    Anyone else in here like Yes?

Yesunion, The irony is that Yes is also one of my favorite bands and the last concert was outstanding. Dana

This is always a tough one ... making this list. And of course, no sooner do you make it then the albums start jumping around in the order. But since this is the InterNet and not a stone tablet ... I'll go in this order:

1. Walkabout

2. Phantoms

3. Reach The Beach -- which would be higher, but OTLTA & SBZ have sort of become like "Hotel California" and "Stairway To Heaven" ... love those songs -- even the first 499,999 times I heard 'em -- but they're kind of worn out for me now. Sorry.

4. Ink -- why folks hate it so much I can't fathom.

5. Elemental

6. Shuttered Room

7. Calm Animals

Don Rowe
    Last edited by Don Rowe; 10-31-2001 at 08:50 AM.

In my opinion it is Reach the beach.
    It is followed by Elemental and Phantoms.

Best Albums

Wow. No mention of React here. I guess it wasn't a studio album, but I sure loved Don't Be Scared. What a great sound it had with the saxophone and all. Like most of the board I relished Phantoms the most and other commercial releases such as RTB and Shuttered Room but I hold a special place in my heart for Calm Animals. I graduated High School in 1988 and went to college and reviewed this CD for the college paper. I gave it a B+ then, but now with nostalgia setting in I have to give it an A+. Gypsy Feet, Precious Stone and Subterranean have amazing work from Jamie. Also Woodland has some great re-makes from this album (intentional? Did the band like the Calm Animals album or did they feel it needed updating?) Woodland had an even better performance of Precious Stone. Wow, the first time I heard the demanding guitar riff of Driven Out, I was proud once again to be a Fixx fan!

Thumbs up

Welcome michah... Don't Be Scared is my favorite at the moment, the entire React disk is great, glad to see someone else shares my love for this song..Take care, Kat

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast