View Poll Results: What's your favorite Fixx Studio album?

Voters
318. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shuttered Room

38 11.95%
  • Reach The Beach

83 26.10%
  • Phantoms

70 22.01%
  • Walkabout

51 16.04%
  • Calm Animals

23 7.23%
  • Ink

13 4.09%
  • Elemental

28 8.81%
  • Want That Life

9 2.83%
  • 1011 Woodland

2 0.63%
  • Stage One

1 0.31%
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite Fixx album?

Talking

Got to be Phantoms,and after that Reach the Beach
    I'm not familiar with their stuff after Walkabout.
    I wasn't really impressed with Walkabout though,it doesn't compare to their earlier stuff.I just started listening again to the Fixx,I generally listen to very extreme heavy stuff,but I grew up on the Fixx's sound. And it still stands today as unique music(eerie pop)(gloomy rock).I would like to find their videos on some form of media(DVD,or just media on the net I can watch)
    The Saved by Zero video creeped me out as a teenager watching MTV.I had it recorded on a beta years ago off of MTV.No idea where that could be

Groom = PHANTOMS

Best Man = CALM ANIMALS

Left at altar = INK

Hey

What's up Fixx fans. I'm new.

1 Phantoms
    2 Reach the Beach (memories...)
    3 Walkabout
    4 Shuttered Room
    5 Calm Animals
    6 Elemental
    7 Ink

The top four are all about being a moody, emotional teenager and taking everything (including music) personally. With the later stuff they just lost their 'sound', which is fine; music shouldn't stagnate, but evolve. It all sounds just as good, if not better, today.

A big plus on the top three was the band's willingness to take chances and just be.....weird. Question, Privilege, Can't Finish (esp. the keyboard solo!) are just not what is expected or accepted from a pop group. When one is young one tends to take more risks, I suppose. Besides, Rupert Hine's production on 1-3 was impeccable.

I agree with someone earlier who said that Happy Landings was about it on Elemental. Every unreleased song (incl. Mayfly) on the newer HL ep was better than the rest of Elemental, IMO.

Absolutely love Yes up until whatever came out after Talk.
    Chris Squire is the man. Yes & the Fixx were my alpha and omega in high school.

Very clever, darkman.
    Last edited by tenebrae; 01-13-2002 at 03:53 AM.

portland oregon USA, usually in front of a 'puter
    I generally judge albums by how much of a thrill i get kisrtening to them years, even decades later.

I love walkabout, and it was a bear to find locally. I would have to say that is my favorite, and here are 4 reasonse
    Sense the adventure (LET THE PAGAN OUT!!!!!)
    Walkabout
    One look up
    Built for the future

I love phantoms... Don't get me wrong, it's a great album...
    (I just can't listen to it in an altered consciousness because it is sometimes too meloncholy for me to take.)

Elemental is great, it will probably grow on me as much as walkabout. I just think the writing and performance on walkabout had their heart in it more.
    I like the analogy of Reach the beach being the fixx's Hotel California album. There are a lot of good songs on it, but they're the ones that get the play.

I think the better question is which ones made you think or feel the most.
    life's too short to drink cheap beer.

Its All Good

Which FIXX album makes me think and feel the most? Interesting question...hmmm...Ink makes me think, love Calm Animals and Walkabout...like I said, it's all good.

A favorite of mine off of Ink, a deep song is Still Around...it's about who we, who you are. Deep shit!

Hey, Darkman, what's your handle at YEStalk?

For Yesunion...

>>>Hey, Darkman, what's your handle at YEStalk?

Sorry, I don't belong to YEStalk. I really like "Big Generator" but that's about it.

RTB is my favorite. Maybe it is because it is the first Fixx album I got....and I still have the vinyl! I do not own Elemental but based on the strong response, it appears I should get it.

so special these guys

It is a close call for me between shuttered and phantoms. The fixx was one of the bands that told everyone "guess what, we're excellent musicians also". I remember playing in a cover band and really just learning guitar when I first heard Jamie and red skies. I actually pulled my car of the road and sat there and listened to his "expressions". I was late to work and got fired. true story. I grew up listening to people like jeff beck and so forth so i knew good guitar playing but Jamie's style was something I had never heard before. Really new. I was really into processing at that time as were allot of bands so for me I really wanted to figure out his tones and that's what got me, his tones. I discovered later after seeing them live(3 times) that his tone came allot from attack. Yes pickup and compression aside it was his attack! He seemed to play hard. Of course he proved himself time and time again with all the people he was playing with and for in the eighties.
    For keys and bass i would vote for phantoms hands down. Rupert did some amazing things like what was done with woman on a train. Amazing really. such texture and so fluid. Shortly after hearing woman I bought a dx7 and starting really listening to him!!! Danny and Adam on question. what the f**k? this whole band just smokes!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by spleege; 01-19-2002 at 10:37 PM.

Hey all, haven't posted in a while, my favorites:

1- Reach The Beach- standouts for me, Sign of Fire, Running, Changing, Liner. Love this album mainly for the good memories I have of listening to it when it was first released, when I was 16.

2- Phantoms- Most all these songs are great. Favorite for me- Lost In Battle Overseas. Right up there- Woman on a Train, Question, In Suspense, Lose Face.

3- Walkabout- Big songs- Sense the Adventure, Built For the Future, Walkabout, Treasure It.

4- Ink- Underrated album- Great tunes- Falling in Love, Shut it Out, One Jungle, Climb the Hill.

I love all the Fixx albums, but these 4 are at the top of my list.

favorite album

VERY DIFFICULT TO CHOOSE! THERE'S ATLEAST ONE SURERSTAR CUT ON EACH. BASED ON THE AMOUNT OF PLAY TO MY EARS, I'LL GO WITH INK. FROM START TO FINISH, IT IS SOLID. WONDERFULLY BALANCED . "NO ONE HAE TO CRY", IS A BEAUTIFUL SONG . "STILL AROUND", HITS ME CLOSE TO HOME. I LOVE THE SPACEY,EERIE MOOD BROUGHT ON BY ,,,,,,,,,, IT' SO CREEPY THAT MY MIND HAS NUMBED TO THE POINT THAT I CAN'T THINK OF THE TITLE! YOU KNOW THE ONE WHERE THE "OCEAN BURNS"AND "HE'S LIFTING EVERY STONE"? THAT ONE. (2A) REACH THE BEACH)(2B) WALKABOUT(2C) ELEMENTAL(2D) CALM ANIMALS(2E) PHANTOMS(2F) SHUTTERED ROOM
    THE LAST FEW ON THE LIST ARE BY NO MEANS WEAK. REALLY!

Well, just to be difficult...

My favourite Fixx album is 'Happy Landings' ('97)...
    ...had it been released!

Having now heard the original 'Happy Landings' recordings ('Happy Landings And Lost Tracks') and what became of those brilliant tracks on 'Elemental', I'd have to say that, had the album been released complete (in mid-'97), after the re-recording, remixing and additional production work by Sadia and Stephen W. Tayler, 'Happy Landings' would've been an astonishing album of wonderful tracks. I bought 'Shuttered Room' in '82 when it was released so I've been through The Fixx history, and I maintain that 'Happy Landings' is their most emotive work to date.

I really wish we could get the opportunity to hear what 'Happy Landings' ('97) sounded like. 'Mayfly' is a brilliant track, and it got dropped! (okay, maybe intentionally to be used by Cy in a solo capacity, but still...)

I'm just grateful we got the 5-track EP!

Thanks for your time,

Regards,

Rodney.

for me it is a tie between Reach The Beach and Phantoms.....these are the reasons.

RTB was the album that introduced me to the magic of the Fixx....i was 13 when it came out and bought it a few months after its release....this album changed my landscape of music forever. every song is a master....

then came the follow-up....no huge hits so it wasn't the commercial success MCA had hoped for but what they got was a masterpiece of music. the perfect blend of musicianship and well crafted songwriting. I liken this cd to 80s era King Crimson but with better songs and arrangements. the subject matter was so much more than simple love songs and politics. the music was breathtaking and the packaging was downright scary......

i still listen to this cd on a near daily basis

wow irwin, it's great to hear that people still listen to phantoms on a regular basis. When I am burning I always use stuff from phantoms as fillers. woman on a train is one of my standards. Some of their best records were made with rupert hine. The fixx will be here in california soon and I am looking forward to seeing them again. I talked to a guy who played in a band that opened for the fixx and he said that Jamie was a major stoner back then and that before the fixx went on stage,(in Fresno CA) jamie smoked a big fatty. pretty funny.

Trying to pick my favorite Fixx album is like asking me which of my kids is my favorite. If I had to pick one, it would be Elemental. The Fixx albums get better and better, so I can't wait to hear the next one

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast