Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Salutations from the UAE

Thanks for clarifying that for me

Cy is still so much better than Cyril...

Thanks for joining us all the way from UAE Salad.

Are you an Emerson Lake & Palmer fan?

Hope to see much more of you.

Cheers
    Steve

I love ELP...
    Not just the music though, the artwork on Brain Salad Surgery just blows my mind, anyone brave enough to use that title and H.R. Giger will always be cherished by me.

Re: Thanks all...

Originally posted by BrainSalad
    such a nice message board, everyone is friendly and very responsive and, is that really Cyn replying on the message board?

That's pretty amazing.
    I think you just flattered Cyn! she will enjoy this one!

Please do not hide, we have a great time here.
    I am the winner in any event.

Re: Re: Uh-oh...

Originally posted by Cyn_in_DC
    Maybe I should just start using my full name!

CYNTHIA
    Somehow I figured that... nice!

Thank you Your Royal Higness and G! :P

You know, it never occurred to me that my name and Cy's name are one letter off. Guess I should have been thinkin'!

Too late now to change it, right Queen?!

Cyn
    or cyN

Welcome to the board.

I know some german people that did some holiday in dubai and they all told: "It is fantastic".

Would like to visit it too.

Regards from germany.

Hehehe...

I'll never be able to live this down, will I?
    Oh, the shame and the embarrassment.

I know some german people that did some holiday in dubai and they all told: "It is fantastic".
    Hi Heimo,
    Dubai is a nice place for a holiday, I'm not so sure about living here on a long term basis, like I have.

I'd eventually like to move to a colder place.
    I'm glad your friends liked Dubai

Re: Salutations from the UAE

Originally posted by BrainSalad
    It's pretty sad that I've only been a Fixx fan for about two years or so.
    But in my defense, Dubai (my city) doesn't have any significant eighties music in the stores or at the clubs.
    Most of the people here listen to hip hop and such.

Would expect music sounding very oriental. Is that wrong?

By the way: My friends enjoyed the beach and the warm sunny weather.

GLAD YOU CAME BACK!!!

Yes... tell us more about your city...

Welcome, Brainsalad!
    Had a client bring in a fabulous piece from the UAE.
    Do the tribal children really wear these? It was a beautiful tunic overlay garment fashioned from hammered silver and shells. She was told that because it's very windy in the UAE, they wear these to keep their tunics from billowing too much?
    She also spoke of seeing an ancient Arabic navigating device...an astrolab, I think? Multiple hammered bronze discs of the constellations to set sail by. Have you seen one? Sounded really cool. Kim

Would expect music sounding very oriental. Is that wrong?
    Hi Heimo, it's true, the music is quite oriental. Though I have to say, the Emirati kids are OBSESSED with hip hop. Actually all the kids here are either obsessed with hip hop or death metal. They brought Sepultura and a bunch of European death metal artists last year for a concert.
    The only concert I've been to in the UAE is Jamiroquai's. The rest haven't been worth it.
    They have more english radio stations than they do Arabic. And not a single eighties or seventies music station. Idiots.

GLAD YOU CAME BACK!!!
    Yes... tell us more about your city...
    Hi Jeanne,
    Where would you like me to start?

Welcome, Brainsalad!
    Had a client bring in a fabulous piece from the UAE.
    Do the tribal children really wear these? It was a beautiful tunic overlay garment fashioned from hammered silver and shells. She was told that because it's very windy in the UAE, they wear these to keep their tunics from billowing too much?
    She also spoke of seeing an ancient Arabic navigating device...an astrolab, I think? Multiple hammered bronze discs of the constellations to set sail by. Have you seen one? Sounded really cool. Kim
    Hi Kim...
    The locals or the Emiratis are all from different tribes. But apart from wearing their national dress, the Arab men wear the kandoorah - the long white dress and the Arab women wear an abaya, the long black dress. There aren't really any tribal children in the UAE. The Arab children dress in their colorful traditional clothes during Eid (the muslim festival right after Ramadan), otherwise, they're dressed like any other western kid. And it's not that windy here, maybe because all the skyscrapers block most of the wind coming in from the seas. If you want to see a really cool sandstorm, you need to drive all the way to the desert.
    We had a pathetic excuse for a sandstorm the other day, the wind blew a bit of sand around and that was pretty much it.

The UAE's population of 4.041 million consists of over 3.23 million non nationals. 50% of the population are south asian, and the rest are Emiratis, Europeans, Arab expatriates and east asian. So technically, the non-nationals far outnumber the locals and that has allowed this predominantly Muslim country to be very liberal. We have nightclubs here which serve alcohol and are open till the wee hours of the morning. I can dress any way I want and I won't get warned like I would in conservative islamic countries. The official language is Arabic, but everyone can speak English.
    The UAE is a concrete man made jungle. It's as modern as a city can get. The oldest building here dates back thirty years...haha.

Your client probably saw the astrolabe at the museum or at some rich Emirati's house. It's a very cool instrument

I'm originally from India but I was born and raised in the UAE.
    Phew, that was long.
    But feel free to ask me anything else you'd like to know about the UAE
    Last edited by BrainSalad; 08-14-2005 at 04:02 PM.

Would like to stay just one night in the Burj al Arab hotel.
    You can see it in every article about dubai or in any report on tv. This should be the luxurious hotel of the world at the moment.

The Burj? I actually disagree with that. I've been inside the Burj and though the building itself is beautiful, the rooms are way too extravagant, maybe a little TOO much gold in the interiors.
    And would you believe it, in the lobby the carpets were bloody awful and they were dirty to make things worse.

If you ever come to Dubai, you should either stay at the Royal Mirage or Madinat Jumeirah
    They're better hotels, serve better food and are more beautiful in my opinion

You think I can afford to stay in one of them? :-)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast