Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Salutations from the UAE

Haha
    They're more affordable than the Burj, I should say.

Originally posted by BrainSalad
    Haha
    They're more affordable than the Burj, I should say.
    I was just daydreaming ;-)

But a lot of german travel agencies offer a trip to dubai for a really fair price. So if anyone is really interested it is not so difficult to afford it.

There is a small chance for me to see the formula one grand prix there next year. I would really like to visit that country! ;-)

Originally posted by heimo
    I was just daydreaming ;-)

But a lot of german travel agencies offer a trip to dubai for a really fair price. So if anyone is really interested it is not so difficult to afford it.

There is a small chance for me to see the formula one grand prix there next year. I would really like to visit that country! ;-)
    Hmmm...only Bahrain has exclusive rights to Formula 1 in the Middle East. Dubai has a fully integrated motorsports facility but they only host FIA GT races and Formula X races.
    I should know...hehehe...I was a rescue marshall last year.
    I'm hoping they'll call me this year too; Dubai is hosting the 10th round of the FIA GT races.

Talking Welcome Aboard

Hello BrainSalad,

Your name reminds me of a Yes album or song. Welcome aboard! It is nice to see how diverified we are here on the boards.

"Any chance that you might ever come to the middle east?" You may have to look up "fat chance" in the dictionary. I am sure the band would not mind touring there but with the current climate in the Middle East, it is not the safest place for English and Americans.

But you never know, given the right price, they make consider it. Do you know anyone that would fund the concert? While your at it see if I can get an all expenses paid trip to tag along. The band needs me to be there. They don't perform well in the Middle East without me.

Fixxation

Originally posted by BrainSalad
    Hmmm...only Bahrain has exclusive rights to Formula 1 in the Middle East. Dubai has a fully integrated motorsports facility but they only host FIA GT races and Formula X races.
    I should know...hehehe...I was a rescue marshall last year.
    I'm hoping they'll call me this year too; Dubai is hosting the 10th round of the FIA GT races.
    You are totally correct. It is Bahrain. It is a small neighboor, isn't it? Did not expect it to far away. I should take a map first before posting next time. Do not want to proove me geographical weakness here ;-)

If you go to see the fia gt look out for the vitaphone maserati. The drivers Michael Bartels and Timo Scheider are from germany and some friends of mine. ;-)
    Last edited by heimo; 08-15-2005 at 05:48 AM.

Re: Welcome Aboard

Originally posted by Fixxation
    Hello BrainSalad,

Your name reminds me of a Yes album or song. Welcome aboard! It is nice to see how diverified we are here on the boards.]

Thanks a lot, it's good to be here too. Brain Salad is Brain Salad Surgery for short and it's an album by Emerson, Lake & Palmer.

["Any chance that you might ever come to the middle east?" You may have to look up "fat chance" in the dictionary. I am sure the band would not mind touring there but with the current climate in the Middle East, it is not the safest place for English and Americans.

Really? Have you ever been to the UAE for you to make a statement like that? It's one of the most peaceful and liberal muslim countries in the Gulf. We have a sizeable population of British and American nationals. I lived in the UAE during the Gulf War, and I don't remember any foriegner being harmed at any point. Or even now for that matter. I'm a foreigner in a muslim country, and I've felt safer here than in my own country. And ask any American who visits this Dubai and how safe they think it is.
    I think you'd be surprised. I won't even talk about the British and Irish; most of them have lived and worked here for long that they'd hate to go back to their own countries.
    And about the Fixx touring the UAE, I'd be ashamed to be a Fixx fan if they said they couldn't tour the middle east bcause it was "dangerous". For crying out loud, Robert Plant was here, Jamiroquai, Craig David, even wussy boy bands like Westlife, Blue; Destiny's Child, Enrique Iglesias, Bryan Adams and more I can't remember at the moment....and hordes of international Djs and musicians.
    The only people who pulled out and lost a HUGE fanbase in Dubai, is Limp Bizkit. They pulled out of a concert last year, because they were "scared" to come to the middle east.
    The current "climate" in the middle east is fine, thank you very much.

[/QUOTE] But you never know, given the right price, they make consider it. Do you know anyone that would fund the concert? While your at it see if I can get an all expenses paid trip to tag along. The band needs me to be there. They don't perform well in the Middle East without me. [/QUOTE]

Didn't you just say it wasn't safe for the English and the Americans to travel to the middle east?
    I think it's your turn to look up "fat chance" in the dictionary.

Originally posted by heimo
    You are totally correct. It is Bahrain. It is a small neighboor, isn't it? Did not expect it to far away. I should take a map first before posting next time. Do not want to proove me geographical weakness here ;-)

If you go to see the fia gt look out for the vitaphone maserati. The drivers Michael Bartels and Timo Scheider are from germany and some friends of mine. ;-)
    Don't worry about it
    I assure you a lot of people in Dubai who know nothing about racing, probably think that the Formula One is held in Dubai and not Bahrain.
    Bahrain is a small neighbour, quite liberal like the UAE but not half as interesting or multicultural, I think.
    I'll definitely keep a look out for those drivers
    Maseratis are such beautiful cars!

Smile

Hi Brainsalad!
    Thanks for answering my queries. Saw your photos on "fixx-ture faces." Wow! You're beautiful! Gorgeous hair and all! Looked like fun, I love to ice skate, too. Sometimes it's cold enough to do it outside, here...but today it's 90, humid with thunderstorms.
    Was wondering if you would maybe post pics of the UAE countryside, or perhaps even some of what the city you live in is like? Are there exotic flowers, plants? Is there alot of seafood or fish? Whew, and I haven't even started asking about India...
    Where have you had the chance to travel to, and have you visited the U.S.? Being as you're into the racing circuit--what races have you been to?
    I'll stop now, only have a million questions... :>)

Take care, Kim (not travelled much)

Hi Kim,
    Thanks for the compliments.
    I haven't travelled much either, I've been to Turkey when I was 15 and a couple of other countries when I was little, but I don't think I've taken a vacation to any other place apart from India for 12 years or so.
    I need to start travelling soon!

I'd like to visit the United States some day and see some of my favorite bands in concert. That hopefully should happen once I graduate and find myself a job which would let me travel...hahaha.

Hmmm...there's really not much of countryside, like I said, I live in a concrete jungle. But since you asked, I will post a few pictures from my city

Dubai World Trade Center in the distance; trade center apartments in the foreground

Shaikh Zayed Road in Dubai

The most beautiful buildings in the UAE, the Emirates Towers

Sexy tree?

More traditional houses, but we've got great cars here, what can I say?

Water taxi in the Deira creek, this is pretty close to where I stay.

The people who use the water taxis are usually construction workers or laborers who cannot afford land transportation which is quite expensive. The water axis are called "abras" in Arabic.

My apartment building is the one on the left! - All these pictures were taken by an American professor in my college; he has better pictures than I do of Dubai.

I took this picture of my friend on my way to Hatta; a mountainous region between the UAE and Oman.

And that's me, on a mountain in Hatta

Hope you like the pictures

Wow! Thanks for sharing!!!!
    ~Bathe In A Turning Tide~

Great pixx Varsha, all of them!

Great Pics!

How cool! Thank you so much! More greenspace than I had imagined. The water is so blue! Is it warm to swim in? Looked pretty deep, you must have very fresh seafood. The buildings are so interesting--modern and new. Are there old parts of town-what are they like? Hatta looked alot like parts of Southern California/Arizona (have friends who send pics from the Western states). Pretty neat, getting to see more of our world via desktop! Are the people friendly? Do they smile and greet you walking down the street? I'm in a small town, where they still do that. Chicago, so far, is the only Midwest city I've found people consisently still do that....very friendly. Crazy driving, though.
    I'll have to dust off my camera to send you a few snaps of things around here in Indiana. Thanks again, :>) Kim

WOW!

beautiful city....I love seeing other surroundings and cultures!!

Thanks for sharing another part of our world, Varsha!!!

Wink

Dude, you seem to be totally cool. Will be intersting getting to know you.
    "Even the devil may cry when he looks around Hell and realizes that he is all alone"

Acheron Parthenopaeus

(Sherrilyn Kenyon, Devil May Cry)

http://www.wordclay.com/BookStore/BookStoreBookDetails.aspx?bookid=37784

Re: Great Pics!

Originally posted by msmith1
    How cool! Thank you so much! More greenspace than I had imagined. The water is so blue! Is it warm to swim in? Looked pretty deep, you must have very fresh seafood. The buildings are so interesting--modern and new. Are there old parts of town-what are they like? Hatta looked alot like parts of Southern California/Arizona (have friends who send pics from the Western states). Pretty neat, getting to see more of our world via desktop! Are the people friendly? Do they smile and greet you walking down the street? I'm in a small town, where they still do that. Chicago, so far, is the only Midwest city I've found people consisently still do that....very friendly. Crazy driving, though.
    I'll have to dust off my camera to send you a few snaps of things around here in Indiana. Thanks again, :>) Kim
    The greenspace is mostly man-made, but at least they're trying. Well, the water is definitely cooler than the weather itself. The beaches are lovely; the sand is whitish brown, very clean.
    Yes, the seafood here is very fresh and quite cheap, there's a fish called hammour which is indigenous to the Arabian Sea. It's pretty big and great for grilling.
    I wish I could show you buildings that looked old, but there aren't many. The heritage building have been restored but there aren't that many. Skyscrapers and modern buildings dominate my city, sadly enough.
    But I took some long exposure pictures of the heritage buildings a while ago, for a school project and I'll post them for you soon
    People are a bit snobbish in Dubai. They're friendly to tourists; but I think Dubai can be a little superficial and uppity at times.
    But that's only because most of the people have more money than they can spend? (I do not fall into this category...I'm a broke student on the verge of graduating and finding a job).
    The Emiratis are quite friendly, the locals I mean.
    And Dubai is probably one of the best places to eat...the food here is quite inexpensive and you can find practically every cuisine possible. If you're a food afficionado like I am, I'm sure you'll have a great time in Dubai

Now I feel like a virtual tourist guide...hehe.
    It's wonderful that so many people are taking such an interest in my adopted country. You know, with all the flak the middle east has been receiving of late; the UAE is almost entirely blameless. The UAE is one of the few places I know that is entirely tax-free. We (the expatriates) outnumber the locals and they have been quite civil to us. Except for some of the labour laws, which are quite strange and biased towards some nationalities.
    Well, no country is perfect.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast