Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guitar talk

Guitar talk

Just picked up a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112. It's great fun to have around the house! This is our first tube amp--wheeeee!Mark's been messing about on it. It's tempting him to play hooky from work, but I've got my eye on him! :>) My new guitar's (finally upgrading from the starter Fender) coming all the way over from Oxfordshire, can't wait to try it out on this! Mark was trying to do the keep it tucked away for Christmas to surprise me, but he can't wait (to play with it, too)--so now this'll be my Anniversary/Christmas/Birthday present. ARGH! Where is that deliveryman?!?! Isn't that funny...sounding almost like an expectant parent! Kim

Thumbs up

The Hot Rod Deluxe is a fine tube amp. Imho tube amps sound the best, especially for guitar. Let us know when your guitar has arrived...

My 12 year old son is trying to work out How Much Is Enough on his starter Yamaha electric guitar. Santa Claus brought him a Peavey Transtube 112 EFX amp for Christmas last year. It is not a tube amp but it was loaded with effects to closely match the songs he loves to figure out. Believe me, for a starter set up, it was way cheaper than a dozen pedals.

Geoff is doing pretty good with How Much Is Enough except he can't figure out that third note. You know, that higher note after the opening power chords? Anyone know how to play that note?

He's doing so well on guitar that I think a much nicer guitar is in order. He turns 13 in a month. He had his eye on a blue Schectar at the Guitar Center store and it was actually affordable. Jamie says the Schectar is not made where they used be made anymore but I think it will be just fine for a 13 year old.

Hey Steve!
    Do you play, too? How great that your son's into The Fixx enough to learn their music! Will miss you at Schaumburg!
    This is actually sort of a "bad" addiction to have, though... I've always been drawn to audio equipment, in general.
    That, and tools--ooo- Kobalt! I love my fencing tool, it does seemingly everything--cut, bash, poke!
    So far, I've successfully dodged everytime Mark tries to get me to look at a Home Theatre get-up...it's only a matter of time...and in a weak moment, I'm sure! I should buy stock in Bose...hmmm.
    Love those little dancing lights on the equalizer! Hypnotic!
    I'm fairly new to the guitar. One of those things I guess left to the right time in your life for it coming about, in my case.
    Anyway...I've got the girls at work stirred into a real frenzy now--we're all watching for this guitar to show up.
    I've craved one like Jamie's "Blondie"-- as that's the one Jamie played the night in Columbus, Ohio --when he "epiphany" inspired me to learn...like a religious experience, it was! Whew!
    So that's what's on it's way, right now...from England...even as we speak...travelling through the air, somewhere...Woo-Hoo!!! Kim

Originally posted by Steve Pariseau
    Geoff is doing pretty good with How Much Is Enough except he can't figure out that third note. You know, that higher note after the opening power chords? Anyone know how to play that note?
    Hi Steve, I just took a listen to How Much and this is how it can be played (TAB):

(x=don't play these strings)

e--x--x--8--x--x--x--x--x--x-- R
    B--x--x--8--x--x--x--x--x--x-- E
    G--x--x--5--x--x--x--x--x--x-- P
    D--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x-- E
    A--7--7--x--7--5--7--x--x--2-- A
    E--5--5--x--5--3--5--3--2--0-- T

Listen to the original for the rhythmic interpretation and you should be able to play along...

Fixx tabs

Hey Guido!

It's way cool that you can do that by ear--which Fixx songs have you figured out the tabs on?

Kim

Yeah, that's doing the job nicely Guido. Thanks for posting it. My son is playing it although he needs a second or two to get to that note. He'll get better at it if he sticks with it.

thanks again
    Steve

@ Steve:
    At your service! I bet Geoff is doing better and better...

@ Kim:
    Sorry, I don't have any Fixx tabs. You know why: if I need to analyze a tune I do that by ear...

Smile "Outside" interest

Hi Guido!

How are you? I should get you to post pics of where you are. I work with a frame and furniture restorer whose family is in the Netherlands--they have or had an art gallery/frame shop over there, the Van Hulsen family. He has old etchings of the Zuider Zee. Very cool. And he trains his dogs with Dutch commands.

Someday, I hope to reach your degree of expertise in figuring it by ear...I'm still very, very green. Just now learning bar chords.
    I would like to learn the intro part to "Outside." If you are able to help, I'd send you hugs! I've finally comfortably achieved the one to "Driven Out."

The guys in England think I'll have my new guitar before this weekend...hope it's not going to be too much like a "Ferrari" in the hands of a "driver's ed student." Kim

Hi Steve!
    Hope Pippi can get you those ringtones!

That's great- all you guitar players! Steve, tell Jeff I'll play bass for him.

That would be great Cygie. I'll tell him.

YAY! The guitar arrived today, safe and sound! A pic will be posted soon! :>) Kim

Re: "Outside" interest

Originally posted by msmith1
    Hi Guido!

How are you? I should get you to post pics of where you are. I work with a frame and furniture restorer whose family is in the Netherlands--they have or had an art gallery/frame shop over there, the Van Hulsen family. He has old etchings of the Zuider Zee. Very cool.
    Hi Kim!

Yeah, Van Hulsen sounds like a typically Dutch name, cool etchings indeed...

And he trains his dogs with Dutch commands.

Af!
    (Get down!)

Blijf!
    (Stay!)

And this is a delicate one:

Wat doen de meisjes van Parijs?
    (What do the girls from Paris do?)

... and the dog is expect to lay down on his back with the legs up in the air then...

I would like to learn the intro part to "Outside." If you are able to help, I'd send you hugs! I've finally comfortably achieved the one to "Driven Out."

Kinda busy with personal matters these days... I'll try to give it a listen later ... ok?

Thanks Guido!
    Much appreciated!
    I had to pry the new guitar out of the guitar shop manager's (Scott) hands, at the place I go for lessons. He'd asked permission, then plugged it in and jammed on it...far beyond my current capabilities. :>)
    Scott loved the pieso on it, said it has more power than most built-in ones he's seen in awhile...and he'd like to pump it through a PA sometime. It sounded so good! And the wood is such a beautiful blonde shade--watery-looking grain. I can really see and feel what a quality guitar is and where the money goes into it.
    Me and my sad little "plink, plink"--he kindly patted my hand and said "You'll get there, don't despair."

p.s.- my teacher is catching on--when I haven't gotten in enough hours--showing cleavage--he's not falling for it anymore! Blast!

Kim

Re: Re: "Outside" interest

Originally posted by guido

Wat doen de meisjes van Parijs?
    (What do the girls from Paris do?)

... and the dog is expect to lay down on his back with the legs up in the air then...

How often does this come in handy? Never mind, one of those 'if you have to ask, then you don't need to know' questions.
    I am the winner in any event.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast