Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rock And Roll Hall of Fame Nominees

yeah Lydon was on J Kimmel's show telling about his refusing to "be excepted" into their club!

He says to boot they want you to pay 2500 per person to come and sit and tell you that you are famous!

As usual he is quite comvincing in his little devious way!
    "There can be no tradition without innovation."
    - Earle Hitchner, Irish music journalist

I can't belive Queen's not in there.. They are one of my all time favorite bands, along with a few others, but I truly like, I'm totally obsessed.. it's ridiculous.

Originally posted by latin_lovebug
    I can't belive Queen's not in there.. They are one of my all time favorite bands, along with a few others, but I truly like, I'm totally obsessed.. it's ridiculous.

Queen was inducted in 2001

The Fixx are in my Hall of Fame.

But unfortunately they stand zero chance of making it into the one in Cleveland. I don't even think they will be nominated.

As for Jackson Browne, he got in in 2004. George Clinton is in also with Parliement.

The bands you mention I agree about. Actaully the most surprising omission to me is Van Halen. How can that be???? KISS surprises me also. The Cars and Pat Benatar should be in also.

My biggest joke into the Hall is the Pretenders. Also think the Sex Pistols releasing only one album don't deserve it....if Hootie and the Blowfish quit after one cd they should've been in too....or even the Knack. Blondie surprised me also...but maybe this is a start for letting 'new wave' bands in.

Vote for The Fixx into the R&R HoF

Vote for The Fixx into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at:
    http://www.rateitall.com/i-935680-the-fixx.aspx

They were just added into the list - so they need a lot of votes to catch up with everyone else.
    http://supergroup.netfirms.com

UK Supergroup vs USA Supergroup - Battle of the Bands

Rock Hall of Fame names nominees for `07

10/31/2006 12:07 PM, AP
    David Bauder

Van Halen is trying to make their biggest "jump" yet into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, with potential 2007 classmates such as R.E.M., Chic, and Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five.

All are among the nine nominees for enshrinement in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum in Cleveland. A panel of 500 industry experts will select five to be inducted at the annual ceremony, to be held March 12 in New York City.

To be eligible, artists must have issued a first single or album at least 25 years prior to nomination.

Van Halen and R.E.M. came from opposite sides of the 1980s rock 'n' roll spectrum. Led by cartoonish frontman David Lee Roth and fleet-fingered guitarist Eddie Van Halen, the California quartet was a hard rock favorite with songs like "Jump" and "Hot for Teacher." R.E.M., meanwhile, was the quintessential indie rock band until breaking through to mass success in the early 1990s.

Grandmaster Flash led the most innovative act in early hip-hop, and the song "The Message" was like a letter from urban America.

Chic, a funk group led by Bernard Edwards and Nile Rodgers, were one of the few acts to dominate the disco era and emerge with their reputation intact through songs such as the wedding band favorite "Good Times."

Other nominees include Patti Smith, the punk rock poet who recently presided over the closing of New York's legendary CBGB nightclub; British invader the Dave Clark Five; Phil Spector favorites the Ronettes; soul singer Joe Tex; and the Stooges, early home of Iggy Pop.
    "I knew a transsexual guy whose only ambition was to eat, drink, and be Mary." ~ George Carlin.

R.E.M. & Van Halen - yes, everyone else - no

They love nominating "Dave Clark 5" although I would prefer they nominated The Hollies. They love Patti Smith although I would prefer Heart, Pat Benatar or The GoGo's. I hope they induct R.E.M. and Van Halen because I think they deserve it. They love The Stooges also, but I would prefer they nominated a band like "The Jam" or "The Replacements" instead.
    Basically, I would prefer anyone in the top 20 at:
    http://www.rateitall.com/t-2529-dese...l-of-fame.aspx
    other than their perennial nominees that they roll out.
    Garrett
    http://supergroup.netfirms.com

UK Supergroup vs USA Supergroup - Battle of the Bands

hi all i heard on the radio yesterday at work that r.e.m. patty smith, van halen, and the ronettes were voted into the rock and roll hall of fame i am sure there are more but those are the ones they mentioned! pretty good list i say dee

Hi Kids!!

Here's the latest group of nominees:
    *Afrika Bambaataa
    *Beastie Boys
    *Chic
    *The Dave Clark Five
    *Leonard Cohen
    *Madonna
    *John Mellencamp
    *Donna Summer
    *The Ventures

The top five vote-getters will be inducted March 10, 2008.

Now please excuse me.
    I'm gonna go listen to my Phantoms CD.

Later, ya'll......

I don't "go through channels." I dig my own....

Angry Still No Fixx

Hey Pops,

Thanks for the list. Wow! The Ventures have one great song and they make it in. Is there any justice in this world'

Fixxation

By The Way

Hello All,

You know the only reason for Chic getting nominated was to **** off The Fixx fans

Fixxation

hmmm

OH FREAK OUT! Le Freak so Chic!

Hello All,

You know the only reason for Chic getting nominated was to **** off The Fixx fans

Fixxation
    Not so quick there friend, dont let the fact that the FIXX will most likely never even be nominated for the RnR HOF, let alone make it in, cause you to dismiss some of the artists that are nominated. IMO the RnR HOF is a joke anyway, its a money spinner tool for Rolling Stone, and ide be willing to bet that not one member of the FIXX is ever gonna lose any sleep over the thought of not being nominated to it anyway. The FIXX would be more interested in the "fight from the inside", and just continuing to make music on their own terms and not being tied to pre-concieved notions on whos worthy and whos not. I can almost hear Cy saying "i simply do not care"

Now about CHIC...

CHIC had some serious players with some serious talent, but unfortunately CHIC got caught up in the backlash against disco. At the end of the disco era when all the studio-concoctions were assailing our musical senses with overproduced crap CHIC was a real BAND that stripped it all right back down to the earthy basics of soul, style, and funk. CHIC influenced countless other musicians and when the band broke up its members became some of the most sought after musicians/writers/producers on the scene, so CHICs influence over the last 30 years cannot be ignored.

CHICs bassist Bernard Edwards has been a major influence on other musicians, you hear his licks all the time though you may not realize it because so many bass players over the years have copped his riffs as their own. If you like the bassline in songs such as 'Another One Bites The Dust' by Queen you can thank Bernard Edwards because it is clearly a rework of Bernards bassline from 'Good Times' by CHIC.

CHICs drummer Tony Thompson was once considered a replacement for Led Zeppelins John Bohnam, but the Zeppelin reunion of the mid-80's never happened. But he did play with the remaining members of Zeppelin at Live-Aid, how many people can you name that would be considered to fill Bonzos shoes?

CHICs guitarist Nile Rodgers was a MAJOR influence on Jamie West-Orams playing style and Jamie would undoubtably name him as such if you asked him on it. To me Jamie has always been the perfect combination of the stylings of players such as Nile Rodgers and Hendrix reworked into what is the FIXX geetar sound. If you credit Jamie then you should consider crediting his influences as well.

You can also be sure that Duran Duran guitarist Andy Taylor was heavily influenced by Nile as well. Duran Duran were huge fans of CHIC and even paired up with CHIC members Thompson and Edwards, along with Robert Palmer, to form Power Station. Simon Le Bon has even credited Nile Rodgers with helping to keep Duran Duran together back in the late 80's when Nile stepped in as producer and guitarist on the Notorious album. Members from Duran Duran and CHIC were always very tight.

Anyway... please dont dismiss CHIC so quickly, if i had to name all the artists that were influenced by CHIC we would be here all day, let me just say the list would include many of the biggest artists of the last 30 years, IMO if anyone on that list shoeman provided deserves to be honored for their work, its CHIC.
    Last edited by Octopulse; 10-01-2007 at 04:15 PM.
    In germany some people say it's like medicine. It's good against heartattack. If it is a lie - who cares?

-- Heimo on red wine

Talking Okay I Will Give You That One

Hello All,

As I was saying you know the only reason Madonna was nominated is to **** off The Fixx fans

Fixxation

I had to educate myself on what a few of these bands even wrote/performed...but admittedly, I don't get out much, and there's probably more than a few people who would say the same about the Fixx if they got nominated
    Maybe on course to the best yet!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast