Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Movies You've Seen - Thumbs Up or Down?

Recent Movies You've Seen - Thumbs Up or Down?

I recently saw Cold Mountain. Pretty good. Not good enough to want to own a copy, though.

I think Renee Zellweger got the best lines in the movie.

Here's one of her memorable quotes:

"They call this war a cloud over the land. But they made the weather and then they stand in the rain and say '****, it's raining!' "

It's easy to start a war. Why can't it be as easy to end one?

:thumbsup:
    Last edited by dejapete; 10-09-2005 at 07:56 PM.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy

Thumbs up March Of The Penguins

Well Gene I would give this one a thumbs up!

Fixxation

I recently saw Cold Mountain as well. For me it was painfully slow. It was ok overall though. Natalie Portman made it worthwhile. I also saw a similarly slow Cider House Rules. Man, nothing happens in that movie for like 45 minutes.

I recently rented Spaceballs (Collector's Edition). Did you know that the DVD has a menu option that lets you view the entire movie at ludicrous speed? Seriously. It does.
    Last edited by dejapete; 10-10-2005 at 10:29 PM.

I thought Cold Mountain was overrated too, but Zellwegger had a good role, and I usually can't stand her, she made it worth watching.

I just saw "The Constant Gardener" over the weekend, and well, it's lame. I don't know who the lead female was, but she made it impossible to watch. I love Ralph Fiennes enough to watch him in anything.

I can think of more BAD movies most of the time than good. Why is that?
    I am the winner in any event.

That's funny about Spaceballs. I think my nephew has it, perhaps I'll borrow, never seen it all the way through.

Just watched Matchstick Men. I'm a big Sam Rockwell fan. This is a pretty good movie. If anything, Nicholas Cage NAILS his role, like there should have been an oscar nomination or something. Good movie, well filmed. A little predictable but I still enjoyed it.

If you liked Dirty Rotten Soundrels, you'll like Matchstick Men.

Thumbs up Shaun of the Dead

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hilariously funny- think Night of the Living Dead mixed with Dodgeball and Screwed (and you have GOT to see Screwed! Norm MacDonald and Dave Chapelle are damned funny, as well as Elaine Stritch and Danny DeVito!) od-ing on speed!
    "Even the devil may cry when he looks around Hell and realizes that he is all alone"

Acheron Parthenopaeus

(Sherrilyn Kenyon, Devil May Cry)

http://www.wordclay.com/BookStore/BookStoreBookDetails.aspx?bookid=37784

I see you have the schwartz

Spaceballs "lets you view the entire movie at ludicrous speed?"
    That's awesome! Thanks for the heads ups. Now I've GOT to see that!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Transporter 2

Equally as good as the original, The Transporter

Jason Statham, he does most all of his own amazing driving and martial art stuntwork...saw a behind the scenes show on this movie, the choreography of the fight scenes is impressive--very fluid.

Kim:thumbsup:
    My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness.
    ~Dalai Lama

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
    ~Adam Savage

You've got red on you!

Precious Stone, you just got a HUGE promotion in my book for seeing and praising Shaun of the Dead! It's a great Romero tribute as well as a film on it's own.

My last two trips to the theater were for

Corpse Bride - Tim Burton is an animation genius and Danny Elfman is a soundtrack-composing genius

Serenity - definitely a thumbs up!

I thought that LORD OF WAR was pretty good. If you liked THREE KINGS, or you're a Nic Cage fan, that's a good one to catch.

SERENITY was terrific. I'm a FIREFLY fan, but I think folks will enjoy it without being addicted to the series. There are great characters, thrilling action and the dialogue is quite funny at times.

THE CONSTANT GARDENER is a sophisticated political thriller. I was disappointed, even though it has two actors I really like - Ralph Fiennes and Bill Nighy (oh so briefly). The characters didn't work for me much. It was beautifully shot though.

We just saw WALLACE & GROMIT: CURSE OF THE WERE-RABBIT over the weekend. What a delightful film. I'm a huge fan of the franchise, so I was really looking forward to this one -- and have to say I wasn't disappointed. The floating bunnies are awesome.

Batman Begins

What a life.

Just hang around until something happens, then swoop down and take a bite out of crime.
    Last edited by dejapete; 10-17-2005 at 01:42 AM.

I saw the "floating bunnies" this weekend...OMG!!! priceless! I love these movies.
    I am the winner in any event.

I've seen Wallace & Gromit twice now - what a hilarious movie (big fan of the short films, too). Great flick for both adults and kids.

Just watched The Village for the first time the other night. Hmm, the story has a lot of potential, but I felt it was poorly executed. I was actually ready to give up on it half-way through, but stuck it out, and wasn't too fulfilled at the end. Speaking of the ending, did they run out of budget, or rolls of film, or what? It's almost like they had nowhere left to go with the story, so they just said 'screw it', and rolled the credits. Don't think I'll watch that one again.

Saw the first half of The Devil's Advocate for the first time today. Lots of over-the-top/bad acting from everybody. Of course, Keanu Reeves and Charlize Theron are in it, so there you go. Keanu's best movie will always be the Bill & Ted films (yes, they're better than Point Break!), and Charlize's career is being carried more on her looks than her acting ability (hmm, that never happens). I actually DID give up on this film, so, who knows how it ends. If it hadn't been for the gratuitous amount of nudity early on, I don't know that I would've gotten half way!

Corpse Bride - I like Tim Burton's films in general. This one was pretty good, but nothing amazing. It's only 1 hour and 17 minutes, and there's not much to the story. I really wish we could spend more time in the Land Of The Dead. Burton could've thrown in a subplot down there. Regardless, I thought it was clever that the living world is dark, and dismal, and gray, while the Land Of The Dead is colorful, lively, and basically a live motion version of the artwork for Oingo Boingo's Dead Man's Party! I liked the ending, and overall I liked the movie. I just think it will be forgotten with time.

Personally, I thought that Al Pacino did a pretty good job in that film, The Devil's Advocate. I must agree, Keanu Reeves can't act. Good call!

I did see Ray last week. I thought that it was pretty good. Jamie Foxx did a wonderful job.
    Is this the way of the world, to take a boy and a girl and show them lying is real!

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast