Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Movies You've Seen - Thumbs Up or Down?

I don't recall ever seeing Al Pacino turn in a poor performance in ANY of his movies (that I've seen). Like many Al Pacino movies, he has a long but meaninful speach toward the end which it sounds like you didn't get to. Oh, and the twist and following revealing of time frame for which the movie's events actually took place, you didn't get to. Sounds like a crying shame to me

Perhaps you just weren't in the mood for sinister tales 1002.

As for The Village, I thought is was a good movie. The suspense was manageable and, although they reveal a secret early on, there are more surprises to follow since revealing the secret early on gives viewers a false sense of security (for the safety of the characters).

Thumbs up

shaolin soccer!

This film is done by Stephen Chow, the same man who did kung fu hustle. . . It's just damned funny, and I love it! The best (okay, one of the best!) part of the film is when everyone on the sidewalk stops and does the dance sequence from Thriller! Oh, man, you have got to see this! Plan to see kung fu hustle soon!

I did enjoy Ray. It was great. Another film that I just saw is Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason. Me and my mom were cracking up! I love Renee Zellweger in those films! And she wasn't half bad in Chicag-hoe either!
    "Even the devil may cry when he looks around Hell and realizes that he is all alone"

Acheron Parthenopaeus

(Sherrilyn Kenyon, Devil May Cry)

http://www.wordclay.com/BookStore/BookStoreBookDetails.aspx?bookid=37784

Originally posted by Steve Pariseau
    I don't recall ever seeing Al Pacino turn in a poor performance in ANY of his movies (that I've seen). Like many Al Pacino movies, he has a long but meaninful speach toward the end which it sounds like you didn't get to. Oh, and the twist and following revealing of time frame for which the movie's events actually took place, you didn't get to. Sounds like a crying shame to me

Perhaps you just weren't in the mood for sinister tales 1002.

As for The Village, I thought is was a good movie. The suspense was manageable and, although they reveal a secret early on, there are more surprises to follow since revealing the secret early on gives viewers a false sense of security (for the safety of the characters).
    Well, I did generalize a bit in my post. Pacino's a great actor - don't get me wrong. He certainly wasn't horrible in Devil's Advocate, either. I do get tired of seeing him in the eccentric, over-the-top fearless antagonist role that he seems to gravitate towards more often than not. I just thought there were some silly moments early on, so the film didn't retain my interest. Maybe I'll see the rest of it someday, if it happens to be on cable again, and I happen to catch it halfway through.

The twist in The Village was certainly good. I don't know if it was meant for the viewer to easily figure out that the elders were behind the scare tactics, but I had it figured out early on, so the rest of the film was simply a waiting game for everything to be revealed on-camera. It felt like a long wait to me! Not a bad movie, but there could've been a little more terror from the woods to deepen the suspense a bit.

I have to agree about Pacino! He used to be great but his performances are exazctly the same in Heat, Scent of a Woman, Devils Advocate, that one with him as a cop in Alaska...

I disagree about Charlize - have you seen her in Monster, the one about Aileen Wuornos? She absolutely nailed the part.

I respect Night Shyamalan's Village, but I think my expectations were too high. The impact of the lesson wasn't as big as in Signs. And of course I loved Adrien Brody.

Rented Batman Begins this week - very nicely done (except for it's inclusion of Katie Holmes).

I am off to see A History of Violence today. Am hoping it'll be a :thumbsup:

***BACK FROM THE THEA-TAH***
    and director/filmmaker David Cronenberg gets :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: from me for A History of Violence. He's brilliant!
    Last edited by Cyn_in_DC; 10-25-2005 at 07:31 PM.

The Forgotten and Paparazzi

I personally was impressed with these two films. Cole Hauser's portrayal of the actor that just wants to live is uncanny- and when he gets them back for the damage they did to his family, I found myself cheering loudly! People do anything for a buck, and it is painfully true to form in this film.

The Forgotten is amazing. I can't recall the name of the woman who is in it, but she was great! As the mother who refused to let go of the memory of her child, she was bad as hell! Shows what a mother's love is and will always be. Kick *** film!
    "Even the devil may cry when he looks around Hell and realizes that he is all alone"

Acheron Parthenopaeus

Originally posted by Cyn_in_DC I disagree about Charlize - have you seen her in Monster, the one about Aileen Wuornos? She absolutely nailed the part.
    I have not seen Monster, but have heard very good things about it. Perhaps that would change my mind about her. I just thought she was a little over-the-top in D.A.

Preciousstone, I just watched Paparazzi a couple of weeks ago, and I thought it was pretty good (the paparazzi were well-cast). It definitely has that second-rate-late-night-cable-action-movie feel to it at times, maybe because the lead characters weren't big names. That was sort-of the appeal for me, to be honest. Some of the story is a little far-fetched for real life, but that's why we watch movies, right?

Ok, I'm gonna rag on a film now...

Saw Enemy Of The State last night. I had seen it in theaters when it came out but had forgotten how bad it was. Just poorly directed. These people keep forgetting to check with me for continuity before releasing these films that make directors look like idiots. Case in point...

So a character drops an item in Wil Smith's shopping bag at a lingerie store. Somehow, secret authorities have direct tap into the lingerie store's video system. Now I can see banks having video, but an underwear store? Oh, and how about Super Deluxe Double Throwdown video that lets your rotate 3D around each shopper in the store? The only place you're going to find 360 degree panable and zoomable CCTV is perhaps Fort Knox.

Ok, how about the satellites that track the characters in Enemy Of The State? In the scenes with Gene Hackman it is a cloudy day and eventually rains. How does a satellite get full resolution photography through clouds?

Hm, and then there is a scene where Gene Hackman is dressed as a cop making a deal with the heavy - sunny day - you can see shadows everywhere - seconds later the deal goes bad, Hackman runs and it is suddenly POURING rain. I hate movie rain BTW, it is just so frickin' fake.

So many other problems too, like being chased through a train yard, bad guys get caught on the other side of a train, wouldn't they just wait for it to pass? They're not gonna just give up the chase. Come on!

Same thing in an underground tunnel. They think they've lost Wil Smith's character in a tunnel. Wouldn't they just seal it off? They're not gonna just give up "oh darn, he got away".

Alright, I've ranted enough.
    Sorry for the negativity.
    Enemy of The State just sucked.

That's my alter ego..

Originally posted by preciousstone75
    The Forgotten is amazing. I can't recall the name of the woman who is in it, but she was great! As the mother who refused to let go of the memory of her child, she was bad as hell! Shows what a mother's love is and will always be. Kick *** film!
    That would be Julianne Moore and she always does very well. I can't say anything bad about her! The Forgotten was a good film, I was pleasantly surprised.

Ok, I'm gonna rag on a film now...Saw Enemy Of The State last night. I had seen it in theaters when it came out but had forgotten how bad it was. Just poorly directed. These people keep forgetting to check with me for continuity before releasing these films that make directors look like idiots.
    Alright, I've ranted enough.
    Sorry for the negativity.
    Enemy of The State just sucked.
    Gee Steve, I am getting the impression you did not like this film! The big studios these days just don't care about artistic- or any other integrity as long as they think they can bring in the $$$! I miss the days when the film studios were run by actual FILMMAKERS!!

It's one thing to make a stirctly fun film but one should take pride in the product being made.

Originally posted by Cyn_in_DC
    ... I miss the days when the film studios were run by actual FILMMAKERS!!
    I've always felt if you're going to do anything, do it right.

M. Knight Shyamalan (sp?)
    George Lucas

There's two who make their own films.
    There's gotta be more, anyone?

I like a lot of independant films becasue they make the film they have a vision for.

All Kevin Smith movies rock. Well, except for Jersey Girl.

I've always felt if you're going to do anything, do it right.

M. Knight Shyamalan (sp?)
    George Lucas

There's two who make their own films.
    There's gotta be more, anyone?

I like a lot of independant films becasue they make the film they have a vision for.
    LOL, you got the difficult part of the guy's name correct - he's Night!

To add to your short list, the legendary George A. Romero...

Steve, you don't honestly believe that George Lucas really intended to make 6 Star Wars films, do you? To me, that is a load of crap. I agree that he is a good director, but I can't imagine that when the first Star Wars came out, heintended to do five more like he says.
    Is this the way of the world, to take a boy and a girl and show them lying is real!

Actually, he had NINE movies (or at least the stories) in mind from the very beginning. There was talk of working on the prequel trilogy as far back as the late '80s. I know he wasn't satisfied with the special effects technology available at the time (though I still prefer the blue-screen effects to the overdose of CGI in the new trilogy), so I think he just became disinterested in continuing the story of Star Wars for many years. The remastering and rerelease of the original trilogy in the late 90's remotivated him to continue with the films. But yes, for many years he wanted to do at LEAST six films, at one time nine.

Yep! He sho' did! I rather like what he did with SW, but hey, that's just me!

Now, Mr. Romero, he's a whole other bag of tricks! He freakin' rocks!

Acheron Parthenopaeus

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast