Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Movies You've Seen - Thumbs Up or Down?

THE MISSING..... with Tommy Lee jones and Cate Blanchett.... (THUMBS Down)

I just kept thinking ... GAWD.... IS this movie EVER going to END??????

I did not even finish it .....

I got Ocean's Twelve on PPV...after LOVING Ocean's Eleven. I watched 20 minutes of it, and turned it off. HORRIBLE. I did enjoy the eye candy though.
    My take on COLD MOUNTAIN was also bad. About halfway through it I predicted the ending, which meant watching the rest of it was like Chinese water torture, waiting for the end.
    Someone gave me BATMAN BEGINS on DVD....WHOA....what a CLASSIC. Not just a great movie, but a great performance by the talented and HOT Christian Bale.
    So, I got on a kick and watched three other of his movies.....EMPIRE OF THE SUN, which I've seen a million times, and it will never be boring....and AMERICAN PSYCHO....which was good if you like bloody homicidal manaics. His protrayal of the anal retentiveness in the character was well done......and also THE MACHINIST.....another fabulous job by Bale. His physical transformation to play that character is even more amazing when you consider that the next role he played was Bruce Wayne! Not surprising they've already signed him for the sequel to Batman Begins!
    "Please take part to find your soul...read between the lines. Please take part and play your role....read between the lines"

Saw II - :thumbsup:

Nice and oogy!

Christian Bale

I liked him in Swing Kids. He was convincing as one of Hitler's youth, but he remembered what he was at the very end. I was pissed at him in Shaft. He played a racist killer to the point of terrifuing. American Psycho was off tha rip.
    "Even the devil may cry when he looks around Hell and realizes that he is all alone"

Acheron Parthenopaeus

(Sherrilyn Kenyon, Devil May Cry)

http://www.wordclay.com/BookStore/BookStoreBookDetails.aspx?bookid=37784

Originally posted by Cyn_in_DC
    Saw II - :thumbsup:

Nice and oogy!
    I too enjoyed Saw II.
    Acting was poor, however, not unlike the first one, but I approve of the plot twist at the very end. I recall reading the San Francisco Chronicle review for Saw II and the guy hated the ending. Well, pooh on him. I think the plot twist was fine and they did a good job of explaining how it could be that way.

Saw II is not as scary as the first one. The first one had a couple genuine frights built in. Saw II makes the attempt but excels much more at gore than it does at genuine scares.

Originally posted by Steve Pariseau
    I too enjoyed Saw II.
    Acting was poor, however, not unlike the first one, but I approve of the plot twist at the very end. I recall reading the San Francisco Chronicle review for Saw II and the guy hated the ending. Well, pooh on him. I think the plot twist was fine and they did a good job of explaining how it could be that way.

Saw II is not as scary as the first one. The first one had a couple genuine frights built in. Saw II makes the attempt but excels much more at gore than it does at genuine scares.
    I hope you are not including Tobin Bell in that sweeping bad acting comment! He was the best part! Always makes for a great bad guy with his subtle intensity. Shawnee Smith is good too. But Donny Wahlberg is no Marky Mark!

Critics always diss horror films, Steve. The worse the review, the better the film!

I think the issue with the non scary bit is that with the first film, it's all new so the whole time you think, WTF?!?! Now, since we have seen the first we know what is going on: John's making a point about valuing one's own life (via a demented game). So that's a huge thing to have to overcome. As far as sequels go, it's a good one.

Hey Presh - next week the Devils' Rejects is out on DVD. Are you in?! That's another one that's good but is missing the WTF?! factor from the first.

That did need to be pointed out Cyn, Tobin and Shawnee did, of course, turn in great performances. I was thinking of the hostages and that God awful cop (even the female cop was terrible).

Still enjoyed the movie though

Thumbs up Touch of Pink

I think this film came out a year or so ago, but I found it amazing. Kyle MacLachlan (right now, I can't spell his last name, but he's the dude from Twin Peaks!) plays the spirit of Cary Grant for a gay Pakistani-Canadian male (played by Jimi Mistry). This film is touching in a way that is rare, like The Sum of Us (starring Russell Crowe). Only in this tale, Cary is the guardian angel for Aleem, who has led a lonely existance since the death of his father. He has problems telling his mother about his lifepartner, but by the end of the film, mother and son accept each other for who they are and Cary is lovingly let go by Aleem.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
    "Even the devil may cry when he looks around Hell and realizes that he is all alone"

Acheron Parthenopaeus

(Sherrilyn Kenyon, Devil May Cry)

http://www.wordclay.com/BookStore/BookStoreBookDetails.aspx?bookid=37784

I hope you are not including Tobin Bell in that sweeping bad acting comment! He was the best part! Always makes for a great bad guy with his subtle intensity. Shawnee Smith is good too. But Donny Wahlberg is no Marky Mark!

Critics always diss horror films, Steve. The worse the review, the better the film!

I think the issue with the non scary bit is that with the first film, it's all new so the whole time you think, WTF?!?! Now, since we have seen the first we know what is going on: John's making a point about valuing one's own life (via a demented game). So that's a huge thing to have to overcome. As far as sequels go, it's a good one.

Hey Presh - next week the Devils' Rejects is out on DVD. Are you in?! That's another one that's good but is missing the WTF?! factor from the first.
    May I add that Shawnee Smith appears in an X-Files episode. She's in the one where they are drilling ice core samples in the arctic and everyone goes nuts from some bug unearthed.

Shawnee is also in the John Candy film Harry Crum.
    Shawnee is attractive but in Saw has makeup to look like a druggie.
    Very under appreciated she is I say.

JC1

i m just waiting for the Johnny Cash movie to come out later this month.

I am kinda a Cashologist, so i cant wait to see how accurate/or glammed up they make it out to be..

Its gonna be tough seeing someone imitate JC since hes now gone, and been around my whole life on this planet...

I think i have met him more times than ive met the fixx (and thats a friggin lot!) and i can tell you there is NO ONE who's presence overtakes the room/ crowd like JC could. There is this like... invisible aura/electricity around him and you are elevated and aware of his presence- i even closed my eyes once while fans were hounding him, and you could still feel the energy without the visual of his presence...

I wanna see if the movie shows any of that part of this americana legend.

I know he always was thankful about life, after seeing his older brother Jack fall into a sawmill blade -working after school and died a week later- His brother said he could see a bright light as he passed.. i bet they mention this in the film..... we will see!

d
    "There can be no tradition without innovation."
    - Earle Hitchner, Irish music journalist

Originally posted by Lone Gunman
    May I add that Shawnee Smith appears in an X-Files episode. She's in the one where they are drilling ice core samples in the arctic and everyone goes nuts from some bug unearthed.

Shawnee is also in the John Candy film Harry Crum.
    Shawnee is attractive but in Saw has makeup to look like a druggie.
    Very under appreciated she is I say.
    I think I remember her from possible some horror films she did when she (and maybe I) was a teenager but I can't recall the specifics.

I stopped watching the X Files after the film was released so I missed that. I have seen her on Becker though.

Re: JC1

Originally posted by Diamond05
    i m just waiting for the Johnny Cash movie to come out later this month.
    I am kinda a Cashologist, so i cant wait to see how accurate/or glammed up they make it out to be..
    I wanna see if the movie shows any of that part of this americana legend.
    He is definitely an icon with a distinctive voice. Any idea who was cast for the part? Maybe the film will be decent and respectful. Be sure to give us the review!

Re: Touch of Pink

Originally posted by preciousstone75
    I think this film came out a year or so ago, but I found it amazing. Kyle MacLachlan (right now, I can't spell his last name, but he's the dude from Twin Peaks!) plays the spirit of Cary Grant for a gay Pakistani-Canadian male (played by Jimi Mistry). This film is touching in a way that is rare, like The Sum of Us (starring Russell Crowe). Only in this tale, Cary is the guardian angel for Aleem, who has led a lonely existance since the death of his father. He has problems telling his mother about his lifepartner, but by the end of the film, mother and son accept each other for who they are and Cary is lovingly let go by Aleem.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
    Hmmm, I haven't heard of this one, and ya say it's fairly new? How did you find it? It sounds interesting!

Originally posted by Steve Pariseau
    That did need to be pointed out Cyn, Tobin and Shawnee did, of course, turn in great performances. I was thinking of the hostages and that God awful cop (even the female cop was terrible).

Still enjoyed the movie though
    Thanx buddy!

The female cop was awful, wasn't she?! But think of it this way: all the really bad actors in the film got what was coming to them!!

And I am still freaked out by the opening scene. I hope that, if Jigsaw ever got me, I'd be so frightened I'd just have a massive heart attack and die right there, rather than having to make a decision like that!!

Re: Re: JC1

Regarding Johnny Cash...
    He is definitely an icon with a distinctive voice. Any idea who was cast for the part? Maybe the film will be decent and respectful. Be sure to give us the review!
    Juaquin Phoenix was cast as JC.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast