Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Movies You've Seen - Thumbs Up or Down?

Re: Re: Touch of Pink

Originally posted by Cyn_in_DC
    Hmmm, I haven't heard of this one, and ya say it's fairly new? How did you find it? It sounds interesting!
    I caught it on HBO the other night, so I'm sure it's on DVD. Kyle MacLachlan is dead on as Grant, and he even throws in true-to-life Cary Grant humor! A must for Cary Grant fans (which I am!), or someone who is a sucker for a good story! It's really worth watching!
    "Even the devil may cry when he looks around Hell and realizes that he is all alone"

Acheron Parthenopaeus

(Sherrilyn Kenyon, Devil May Cry)

http://www.wordclay.com/BookStore/BookStoreBookDetails.aspx?bookid=37784

Thumbs up The Eighth Day

Filmed in French, subtitled in English, released in 1996. This is the story of Harry, a burned-out businessman and Georges, a young man with Down Syndrome. It is a tale of innocence and a bittersweet friendship. Their relationship shows that if you look around yourself, someone you least expect can show you how to enjoy life and be happy with all the small things we seem to forget or take for granted. Harry takes these lessons to heart as he realizes that he and Georges are kindred spirits. He takes what he learns from him and shares it with his children and lives in the moment (or, as they lovingly put it in the film, "our minute"). Georges dies at the end, but it seemed like he was an angel sent to help Harry find himself again. Touching, and one of the best films I've seen.
    "Even the devil may cry when he looks around Hell and realizes that he is all alone"

Acheron Parthenopaeus

Re: Re: Re: JC1

Originally posted by Steve Pariseau
    Regarding Johnny Cash...
    Joaquin Phoenix was cast as JC.
    I saw a blurb on Access Hollywood earlier about this film. I like Joaquin but I don't see him pulling this one off. And Reese Witherspoon as June Carter Cash?! No no no no no no no no!!!!! And they were both doing their own singing!!! Noooooooooooooooo!! Sorry Dave, it's not looking good!

I give it a preemptive thumbs down!

i know i know... so i m hoping to get free tickets from a radio promoter who knows i m a JCaholic and shes getting me some as we speak...
    "There can be no tradition without innovation."
    - Earle Hitchner, Irish music journalist

I am glad you won't be spending your hard-earned $$$$ on this!

yeah i already have my own JC movie... one of my friends used to bring his camcorder everytime we met JC and June, and i even have footage of me kissing June on video..

She would talk for hours, and to anybody, she had that gift.

Did you ever here Roseann Cash tell the story of her hearing June answer the phone, and have a real lengthy conversation, and Roseanne after hearing the conversation and curious to who she was talking to (cause she thought it was a family member she was chatting with!) asked June who was on the phone? and June replied -"Oh, it was a wrong number."
    "There can be no tradition without innovation."
    - Earle Hitchner, Irish music journalist

last movie i saw

the last movie my husband and i went to see was the exorcism of emily rose. i love scary movies but this was not. it was educational but by no means scary. they gave it two stars i would have given it one. did not compare to the exorcist or the shining my two favorite scary movies of all time. have a great weekend everybody talk later dee

Re: last movie i saw

Originally posted by dees
    the last movie my husband and i went to see was the exorcism of emily rose. i love scary movies but this was not. it was educational but by no means scary. they gave it two stars i would have given it one. did not compare to the exorcist or the shining my two favorite scary movies of all time. have a great weekend everybody talk later dee
    Hey dees! That film was decent - I hope you didn't go there expecting The Exorcist because they were made with two totally different purposes. The Exorcist was meant to be a scary relgious detective story; Emily Rose was a story about faith, the legal system and the church. Before ER was released the film compnay did a bunch of promo stuff including compiling AP news articles about so called exorcisms throughout the world, and those truly sanctioned by the Church. So it's not a fair comparison.

hi cyn yes i do realize that emily rose was not going to be like the exorcist. it was a okay movie but it just wasn't what i expected. i usually read up on a movie before i go see it but i didn't with this one. i do have to say their was some great acting in this movie. i realized it was a church related movie once it got started. have a good one dee

Hiya dees, et al!

You are correct about the acting - esp. the girl that played Emily. There were some good creepy bits, and I'll admit it was a bit slow. I don't regret seeing it though.

I should have mentioned I am impressed that you like the Exorcist and the Shining so much though! Did you ever see the TV movie version of the Shining? It was more true to the book, but ya cannot beat Kubrick (although I thought the topiary animals were creepier than the hedges, at least until Jack started chasing his family through them).

Cool

hi cyn, yes i did see the t.v. version of the shining. i do agree with you that the animal hedges were scarier then the original but i also liked the original actors better in the first one. especially jack nicholson no comparison he played the role the best. here's johhny!!! honey i'm home!!!! love jack he is a wonderful actor. i saw the movie saw last year did not think it was too bad so i think i will wait and rent the dvd when it comes out. i was waiting to see if everyone else liked it. the first one was pretty good. have a good one dee

Originally posted by preciousstone75
    shaolin soccer!

This film is done by Stephen Chow, the same man who did kung fu hustle. . . It's just damned funny, and I love it! The best (okay, one of the best!) part of the film is when everyone on the sidewalk stops and does the dance sequence from Thriller! Oh, man, you have got to see this! Plan to see kung fu hustle soon!

I did enjoy Ray. It was great. Another film that I just saw is Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason. Me and my mom were cracking up! I love Renee Zellweger in those films! And she wasn't half bad in Chicag-hoe either!
    Agreed! Shaolin Soccer is brilliant!

Here in Taiwan we get an overload of great comedy Kung Fu style films from Taiwan, Hong Kong, China, Korea and Japan.
    Some of them borrow heavily the special effects from the Matrix and even if they are not in english, they are still damn funny.

Shopgirl!

I thought it was very well done. I went in expecting a poor movie after reading critic reviews and was pleasantly surprised to find the movie a well pieced story of youth, lonliness, age, and relationships.

I did read the book a while ago and can say the book is better. More funny. It's hard to translate some of Steve Martin's comedy from pages to film but they still pull off a great story despite losing much of the comedy. So the book was funny, the movie is more of a serious drama than a comedy.

At one point early on in the film I was considering pulling my hair out over how painful it was to watch the character Jeremy act like a desperate boy aching for affection, for a minute there I thought I was watching Swingers, but the way he acts like an idiot is important to the final scenes which I realized as it happened. So hang in there when Jeremy starts to annoy you, it gets much better.

Two thumbs up for Shopgirl.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Blade Trinity

I was expecting to be grossed out beyond reason with this one, being I didn't care much for the second, but this turned out to be kewl as hell! What cracked me up was the vampire Pomeranian and Rottweilers! That Pomeranian was hilarious!!!

Impressive. Jessica Biel and Ryan Reynolds kicked ***!

Acheron Parthenopaeus

I recently saw The Final Cut. It's based on an interesting concept. What if we could record a person's entire life? In this story, the technology that does that is used for remembering the dead. After a person has passed away, his recorded experiences are edited and presented as a movie for the benefit of his loved ones with an event called a "rememory". The "rememory" is a new type of memorial service.

The film raises questions about the ethics of using this technology. There are only a few I can think of here:

If you knew your life was being recorded, how would you act?

Would this technology change "history" by portraying a famous or powerful person in a different light?

What about the privacy of people who end up in the rememory of someone else's life?

A similar concept was brought forth in the film, Brainstorm.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast