Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fixx Shows -- An Odyssey

Eight Concerts So Far

Saw The Fixx for the first time in Oshkosh, WI.
    They did “Outside” and “Happy Landings”. Cy played acoustic guitar on that one.

Racine, WI
    Met Cy and Jamie for the first time. They came out to meet fans even though they looked tired.

Dubuque, IA
    The band came out for a second encore and did a formal meet and greet after the show. I met Jen and Magical there.

Fine Line in Minneapolis, MN
    The Fixx was on the same floor of the hotel where I stayed. Because of bad Internet directions, I was late and arrived there the same time the band was arriving.

Taste of Minnesota in St Paul.
    It rained and rained and rained and rained and rained.

Fine Line in Minneapolis, MN
    Met active and relatively nearby board members, Jeanne Thelen and Dave Romfoe

Harley Rally in West Allis
    The Fixx debuted “Falling Apart Together”.

Schaumburg, IL
    Had a nice party in Jeanne Thelen’s room with other Fixxtures, Jeanie, Kim, their spouses, gee-bee, and dejapete’s brother
    Peter, the band’s photographer(?), graciously showed us some of his work.

STILL stuck in the water slide at the Vegas Hard Rock pool...
    THanks DP - lovely to read about Fixxtures meeting up - that's always the extra icing on the cake of a Fixx show!
    web site | blog | photos | Twitter (primary)
    ----
    "And the Vino di Vici will flow like a river in spring,
    Now the fix(x), the fix(x) is in." - Elbow

There were other nice people I met who are really into Fixx. I didn't mention them because they aren't currently active on the MB. If you're out there, please forgive the omission. Anyone else...sorry...I simply forgot. Owe it to creeping senility.

Warning - L O N G post

I tried to post my list.

It's too long.

Well, it's not the list that's too long. It's that I was long winded.
    I need to cut 840 characters before I can post it. We have a 10,000 character limit for posts.

I'll get it edited down after dinner.

2005 Chicago--met Ira, Peter B & Jeanne...sang and danced along with Jeannie29 (although not officially intro'd at that time) Officially met the band

2005 Indy--Robin & Liz, Cary...& a Bash sighting

2005 Milwaukee--Peter B, Jeanne Thelen, Dejapete, Jeannie29, Dave Romfroe, Robin & Liz, Cary, & Gooo

2005 Schaumburg--Peter B & Jeanne, Jeanne Thelen, Dejapete and brother, Gee-Bee, Jeannie29 & George

2005 Alton--Peter B, Jeannie29 & George, Fixx Fanatic & the St. Louis girls

2005 Pittsburgh--XTCTom & BuffaloGal, Patchyfogg & daughter, Shellular & Mark, Seadave, JohninPittsburgh

Kim
    Last edited by msmith1; 02-18-2006 at 09:02 PM.
    My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness.
    ~Dalai Lama

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
    ~Adam Savage

This goes way back to when I wasn’t even a fan yet. Mine is long winded to include various thoughts and experiences.

1983, July 9 – Santa Barbara County Bowl. A Flock of Seagulls was the headliner and I was a big fan of AFOS. The Fixx and Berlin opened. I took my ex-girlfriend’s sister. I recall being impressed by The Fixx but only new them from the Stand or Fall video. Lost Planes and Cameras In Paris stuck with me from that show.

1986, August 26 – Concord Pavilion. At the time, The Moody Blues were my all time fave and The Fixx were 2nd fave. So this was an eargasmic experience for me. The Fixx opening for The Moody Blues. 3 1/2 to 4 hours of pure ecstasy. Walkabout was my favorite performance of the night.

1986 August 28 – Universal Amphitheater. The second eargasmic experience of Moody Blues and Fixx. They played Opinions and Can’t Finish. I also recall being largely impressed with the Chase The Fire.

1990? - Ventura Theater (Ventura, CA). This was a dinner theater and I was too poor for dinner tickets. Thus, I was way in back. Took my older brother Chris. Cy introduced a song as being “new” and “look for it on our new album”. The song was All About You, I absolutely loved it, and was crushed when it wasn’t on Ink.

1997, March 9 – Citrus Heights (Sacramento) club called Paradise Beach. Took my older brother Chris again. Got there early while equipment was being set up. Some ******* from the warm up band made fun of me because I was wearing a Fixx shirt. Heard One Jungle through the open door during sound check. Met up with Fixx E’mail Lister Dustin Nulf. We got the first ever Lighthouse performance and the second Life’s What’s Killing Me performance. This was the first time I ever met the boys. I was a star struck moron when I met Cy. I was much more at ease talking to Rupert. Jamie was cool and gave me his backstage pass as a souvenir. Chris Tait was easy to talk to. It took Adam a long time to come out so I didn’t get to talk much to Adam. Just a quick autograph if I recall.

1998, July 17 – Santa Barbara’s Coach House. One of the few shows my wife accompanied me to. Met Cy afterward and didn’t act like a star struck idiot this time.

1998, July 18 – San Juan Capistrano’s Coach House. This was the first show I took my oldest son Justin (Clive3) to. Justin was excited that Cy “high fived” him during One Thing. I met Musegirl (for the first time) in LA and we carpooled to SJC for the show. The carpooling was awesome because she had Rupert Hine’s The Formula with her so I heard that for the first time. Met a lot of Fixx E’mail List fans like Chris Lyon, Jay & Kris Swartzfeger, & Barbara Cohen.

1998, July 20 – A truck stop in Santa Nella, CA. Was getting gas on the way home from San Juan Capistrano and I see Rupert walking into the store. We chatted a bit about various nothings. They were heading to Chico to do a show on a college campus. My youngest one Geoff was in the back seat of a tiny little Honda hatchback packed to the gills with luggage. I was kinda embarrassed but still thrilled to have seen Rupert.

1998, July 22 – Palo Alto’s The Edge Nightclub. This was easily the best show of the 90s for me. Is That It? And Lighthouse just kicked your arse. This was when I finally met our almighty Web Site and E’mail List Guru Jeff Dinkins. I was in a daze for much of this night as earlier in the day Jamie let me hold Woody for a minute or two, and believe me, I had a woody the whole time. Had the greatest moments of chat with Adam and a couple other fans. I felt bad for Jamie before the show on this evening. He wanted to find food and set out on foot to see what was about. Well, about 7 or 8 of us fans followed him. So there’s poor Jamie, all he wants is to find dinner and he’s got a half dozen onlookers walking the streets of Palo Alto behind him. I also met Dana, and other e’mail listers Steve (redsky), Derek Muk, and others I can’t remember.

2000, July 21 – Anaheim’s Sun Theater. This is where I first met long time Fixx E’mail list Guru Mike Roden. Musegirl hadn’t told me they were a couple, it was a pleasant surprise. Also met Stephen Leuty of the e’mail list.

2002, April 18 – Atascadero’s Bonema Brewing. This was a small show at a brewery. I was able to bring Justin and met up with Maggie (she’s only posted twice). This was the first time I heard Touch, No Hollywood Ending, and Want That Life.

2002, April 26 – Agoura Hills Canyon Club. I brought my older brother Chris with me to this show. I didn’t meet any Fixxtures at this show. Just Lee Chambers who was busy with his camera. So although we met, I didn’t have time to explain who I was.

2003 November 21 – Hollywood Key Club with World Wide Spies. Met up with Chris Lyon from AZ, met The Flow for the first time, this was when he told me he was a video editor and worked for ABC making spots for soaps, which eventually led to him editing Stage Two. Rupert introduced me to some nutball afterward that used to play keys for Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush. I couldn’t get out of there fast enough after meeting him.

2004, March 12 – Santa Barbara’s Coach House. Took my two boys, my coworker Fred, my buddy Dante. Met up with James and Robert (they don’t post but are usually at SoCal shows) and Svare and his wife from Washington. There was also a couple there that had driven up from Ventura. And that’s the whole crowd pretty much. Like 12 people in all. The Coach House told NOBODY about this show.

2004, June 4 – Santa Barbara’s Soho Nightclub – This was a packed venue. Met up with Kitttie. This was the first night I med Ed. He didn’t tell me he was coming so I didn’t know he was milling about. Stage One was unveiled at this show. Took my two sons but they wouldn’t let them in (even though I called ahead and asked if minors were allowed). My coworker Fred and buddy Dante came to this show too. After the show at the bus there was an American Indian guy who did a tribal Indian song for Jamie.

2004, June 5 – Temecula’s Balloon & Wine Festival. This was an amazing experience with another of my favorite bands, the Spin Doctors, opening up for The Fixx. Met up with Ed, Kitttie, Fixxation and brought my youngest son Geoff for his first Fixx show.

2004, August 6 – Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. I had always imagined The Fixx playing here and was in heaven when it actually happened. Met Bash, Wingo, MaybeSomeday & Noreen for the first time. Ed was there too. Took my two boys to this show. The Fixx, the ocean, my sons, friends – it doesn’t get much better than this - - or, does it?

2004, November 29 – Las Vegas House of Blues. This is when I finally met Pipsqueak, Pippi, Cygnet, Wingo, Jeanne, and the surprise guests for the evening were John & Linda Zappa. Partied at the Obi club atop HOB then went and played pool with Rupert and Jamie, both of which kicked my butt. I think Jeanne may have beat Jamie. After that we continued to party is Bash’s suite. What a great night.

2005, March 5 – Malibu, CA. Met Doctor Roger, Donna (Detroit), and Alannah for the first time. Also partied with Pippi, Wingo, Bash, Ed and Kitttie.

2005, March 6 – San Francisco’s Red Devil Lounge. The great Heimo makes a California appearance as does Jeanne. Everyone was there. Doctor Roger was generous (as usual), Wingo and Heimo got me drunk. I think I may have passed out in Jeanne’s room. I was supposed to crash at Heimo’s two doors down.

2005, March 8 – Sacramento, the Roadhouse. What a dive. Heimo tries to take a photo of the building and the next door neighbor/owner comes unglued. Great show though and the place filled up. Had dinner with Alannah, Wingo and Heimo and where the hell was Bash? We missed you at dinner Bash. This was the first night I met the Donna & Julie that people often mention.

2005, March 9 – Fairfax, 19 Broadway. A boatload of us took Rupert to dinner at a fine Italian restaurant. The show smoked. Vice Grip was an amazing host. See Bash’s account for attendees.

2005, March 10 – Santa Clara’s The Avalon. This was an outstanding venue with deluxe lighting. I wish I had taken more film with me. I only had about 12 shots left on a roll and it was too dark for my funky digital. This was the best Saved By Zero I’ve ever heard. Gary went nuts. I took my older sister Kathy to her first Fixx show. She was impressed and happy to meet all these friends I had been raving about. See Bash’s account for attendees. Remember Me When I’m Gone is played live for the first time.

2005, March 11 – Universal City’s BB King’s. I was not aware that BB King’s had a dress code. Poor Justin (Clive3) had shorts and a sports jersey and they wouldn’t let him in. Fortunately, Universal City Walk is a shopping mecca and had a Hot Topic store. We had to buy Justin new clothes so they would let him in. The crowd was on fire for this show and they wouldn’t back down after Saved By Zero. The boys don’t do a second round of encores but the crowd kept on roaring for more. BB King’s kept the lights off for a good 5 minutes of roaring before realizing they weren’t coming back. Rupert Hine was at this show. I met him briefly but he was much more interested in Alannah than talking to me.

2005, July 10 – Dallas Texas. What a treat to be able to put together a trip on short notice. Dallas was lovely, the DiscLive series of Live CDs was unveiled here, and getting together with Alannah, Donna (Detroit), mgr, and The Zappas was terrific.

2005, July 23 – Costa Mesa – the Orange County Fair. Howard Jones opened, The Fixx played, then the Psychedelic Furs played. Took my son Geoff to this one. Met up with Doctor Roger, Bash, Pippi & Lil' Audrey, Wingo, Cygnet & family, The Flow & family, Ed, and Henry Izzo. There had to be a good 10,000 people there. Great exposure for the boys.

2005, August 5 – Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. The ultimate show at the ultimate venue at the best time of year with the best people I know. Thanks for the memories guys and gals.

Great memories Steve - got a good laugh out of the BB Kings story. Poor Justin (Clive3) did not look very comfortable in his "emergency duds". All of the ladies felt that he looked just fine - very fine indeed.

"Oh Security"

~Bathe In A Turning Tide~

Steve, awesome. How come I'm the only one who had to number my shows???!!!

Originally posted by musegirl
    Steve, awesome. How come I'm the only one who had to number my shows???!!!
    My post was too long. As it stand it is exactly 10,000 characters. The numbers had to go.

sorry

Oh, Bash did too

Mr. Pariseau mentioned a show in Citrus Heights and even had the date of March 9, 1997.

This is the only Fixx show I've ever seen. It was truly a night to behold. What a coincedence that we were both there. I stayed after the show too and just listened to people talk with the members of the band. I suppose in my introvert hell I had things I would like to have asked but my lips were sealed.

I remember someone with a white t-shirt asking Rupert what his favorite song from Ink was. His answer was Yesterday, Today. Was that you?

So there is my list of Fixx Odyssey shows.

One night of pure enjoyment. Better than any movie one could escape to.

Maybe someday.
    Another show.

No way Dude!

That was Dustin Nulf who asked Rupert that question. I was there with a gray Walkabout shirt.

I have a few pictures up of the meet and greet. Look here and tell me if you are in the background of any of these photos.

We probably brushed shoulders, at the least, Gunman.

Small world.

Okay,....

Sept 1 1983... Tacoma Dome... met my first serious college boyfriend at that show... Hmmm .....wonder whatever happened to him???? Thank God the show is burned into my memory...even if he is Not ... Words could never discribe my first taste of the Fixx....

Oct 13,1984 Vancouver Bc.... my friend Amy and I snuck onto the tour bus... well more like she did and pulled me along with my mouth wide open in shock... she was totally convinced that when she met Adam the year before and he kissed her.. that he gave her mono... and she was bound and detrimined to ask him.... When I relayed this story to him in Las Vegas... He laughed and said in that charming Manchester accent.. " I have often had stereo... but never mono...." HA! LOL!!!!

Oct 15,1985... Seattle Washington.,... Very memorable ... I gave Cy a teddy bear and he kissed me ... much to my shock and adolecence embarrassment .. and I walked around for days ... like Marsha Brady ... "I'll Never wash my cheek again".....* sigh* ... or is that Cy??????? certainly gave me a lot to dream about those years....

Nov 29,2004 Las Veags ... the show that is nearest and dearest to my heart for ever more ... and for so many reasons it would be impossible to list them all....( borrowed this list from Bash) I met Webmaster Ed, Wingo, Pippi,
    Jeanadoo, Bash, Cygnet and Robleon, Pipsqueak, Steve Pariseau, LindaZ and ZapDog.

then we partied with the band..played some Billards ... where Jamie Promptly kicked my *** ( I sank the que ball..still waiting for a rematch, Mr West -Oram.. ....) went up to Bash's suite .. partied some more .. then crawed under the covers ...just to rest my eyes, I tell you.. and fell promtly asleep ..(must have been those 2 glasses of merlot) where I was later a victim of various photographs by Bash and Rupert .... of me sleeping, CHOCOLATE IS ON THE WAY, BASh... You like Milk Chocolate, Right ????

March 5th, 2005 San Francisco... another fun time..one of the best times I have ever experienced in that city..... add Heimo ( and his parents Lilly and Hans ) and Alannah and Dr Roger and Dana to the list ... ... had a very wonderful and memorable time with them in Monterey and Carmel... my favorite memory of that trip... Oh .. and the band wasn't bad either... HA!! LOL!! shopping with Mick and Alannah was fun too.... YES...Steve.. you did pass out in my room in a dead drunk on my bed... thank God you didn't snore and keep me up all night.. I had my 2 (or possible more) glasses of Merlot .. so I was out too...hey I am a cheap drunk .. if nothing more .. ..HA!! LOL!!!!!

March 16th 2005. ... Minneapolis ,Minnesota... back in my home town... Band was deathly ill on the 'flu bus'.... but true to form .. the show must go on and they pulled off an AMAZING performance ... and even remained after to do meet and greets ,.. I meet Deja , Dave Ramfoe, Cymaria and her husband Kevin... my cousin, Shel and her friend Dawn showed up too...

July 31st 2005, Milwaukee WI,..BEST SHOW I HAVE EVER SEEN... band was right on .... and we got to exprience the band twice that day... Double your pleasure .. double your fun.... Deja, Dave R. were there and I met Goo, Kim , Mark, Jeff H, Brian... Peter B... and Ira ... Jeannie29 and Her husband George ... God help me .. but I think I am forgetting someone.. sorry if I am .... I am going to be 28 this year after all ... memory is the first to go ... Ha !ol!! Pippi and Steve were there via cell phone ...

September 2nd,2005 ... 22 years after my first show... what a way to celebrate... Had the first TACO/ MARGARITA BASH in my hotel suite with Fixxtures Deja, his brother Phil, Kim, Mark. Jeannie29, George, Peter B and his wife Jeanne... YES.. there was 3 Jeanne's in a 600 square foot space .. talk about confusion...Kim and I are thinking a Spaghetti feed this year ... sugguestions are welcomed ... show was Great ...Pippi, as always .. was there, via cell phone... and I met Dave Boltin , Gee bee after the show...

8 shows... hoping to add more to my list and add many more Fixxtures and see some old familular faces that I am missing as well..... I did get the pleasure of meeting Fluxas In Minneapolis this summer whole she was visiting family .. ... and I am hoping to meet more International Fixxtures this time around as well... .....
    Last edited by Jeanne Thelen; 02-22-2006 at 08:27 PM.
    You pass like the moon in silence
    In the warm flooded air
    Looking back to those lost opportunities
    So often missed or ignored
    A thousand times I start heading for the dawn
    Only to turn around and face this rue once more
    There 's something ahead of you
    Cy Curnin

Don't die, with your music still inside of you.

Originally posted by Jeanne Thelen
    ...Nov 29,2004 Las Veags ... .
    Jeanne:
    Didnt Gallagher have YOU introduce The Fixx to the crowd?

So Far

For me, so far it's a tie between 4 shows.....

1. House of Blues in NYC, meeting and hangin' with other Fixxtures, the show was great, the party spectacular!

2. Santa Cruz this past summer....just look at the pictures and listen to disk live!

3. Arizona last year's new year's and new years day shows....the company too great and numerous to list.

4. Avalon in Santa Clara last year.... the best show of the year and best indoor venue.

These shows will surely provoke speculation, as there are so many great ones to choose from. I'm looking forward to this year's shows, and especially meeting and seeing all of you!

Love to All,

Dr. Roger

"Came a thousand miles, just to catch you while, you're smiling"

Ian Anderson-jethro tull
    Reasons for Waiting-Stand Up album

Originally posted by Steve Pariseau
    Jeanne:
    Didnt Gallagher have YOU introduce The Fixx to the crowd?

AHHH... I think I was trying to forget that part ... after I thoroughly embarrassed myself and Bash had to aid in my recovery and finish it off....

HA! LOL!! *shrug*
    You pass like the moon in silence
    In the warm flooded air
    Looking back to those lost opportunities
    So often missed or ignored
    A thousand times I start heading for the dawn
    Only to turn around and face this rue once more
    There 's something ahead of you
    Cy Curnin

Don't die, with your music still inside of you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast