Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: american idol

Question american idol

hey guys is anybody watching american idol? my two favorites for male singers are ace and taylor! any thoughts on it? i love both of their voices and i like taylor especially because he is unique. have to watch tonight two males are gonna be gone and two females . have a great night everybody dee

I don't really like that show. I have my reasons...

Only watched it until Kendall got cut, but that's okay--Emily says she's putting a CD together in her studio (mixing board and all...how cool)--and she's recording something that Gretchen Wilson (country singer? I dunno) may take and run with.
    Kim
    (that little boy, Ace...he kind of resembles Gavin Rossdale)
    My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness.
    ~Dalai Lama

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
    ~Adam Savage

I watch it religously........................................ ....sick, I know.

too funny - as I am typing this - my sister - who lives back east - im's me saying "American Idol comes on in 12 mintues".

She is a junkie too.
    ~Bathe In A Turning Tide~

i was not surprised about the people that were cut thursday night although i was shocked gideon did not get cut also. i voted for taylor wednesday night so glad he is still there because he reminds me of michael mcdonald one of my very favorites besides the fixx dee

My name is Lisa and I'm an Idol junkie.

Here's hoping that goofy little Kevin kid goes home tonight. He's sweet, but completely out of his depth. Making him sing "Part Time Lover," of all of Stevie Wonder's hits this week was just the final nail in the coffin of embarrassment. I'll bet he'd shred in a school production of Guys and Dolls though.

The rocker Melissa girl is a close second. If she sticks around much longer I'm afraid she's gonna sing "Black Velvet" and I don't think I could take it.

I hope that Katharine, Chris, Elliott and Taylor go far in the competition. They have been very entertaining and show a lot of potential.

hey lisa i agree with you 100 percent on all you said. i think little kevin should go also. he is not that good at all. he did try to be tough with simon last night though that was pretty sad too. i like cathy from the girls also kelly is annoying to me . my favorites are taylor and chris from the guys. i thought they sang very well last night. gotta watch tonight for sure dee

I love Taylor and Bucky. But I think Chris will go the distance. Elliot has the best voice - but may not draw the popular vote. For the girls - Mandesa is the best - I also like Paris and Lisa.

Originally posted by musegirl
    My name is Lisa and I'm an Idol junkie.

Here's hoping that goofy little Kevin kid goes home tonight. He's sweet, .
    Lisa, I'm so disappointed in you

How do you tolerate Simon's behaviour?

I had always assumed you were above American Idol.

I'll have Bash or Pippi send you an I heart Rupert shirt.

You might as well have an English Idol too

Um - Steve -

I heart Simon, too.

Thumbs up

sorry everyone i heart simon too. even though sometimes he is obnoxious i do think he makes the show more interesting sorry dee

Re: Um - Steve -

Originally posted by pippi617
    I heart Simon, too.
    But Pippi, I would expect "girls like you" to like Simon.

Oh, Pippi, you left that door wide open. I had to step through it

You know I love ya and I'm just pullin' yer chain

Originally posted by Steve Pariseau
    Lisa, I'm so disappointed in you

How do you tolerate Simon's behaviour?
    Okay, well, here we go Steve. I shall attempt to be brief, but likely fail miserably.

Let’s all begin by agreeing that the appreciation of music and different styles of music is a very subjective thing.

I am a person who is entertained by hearing good singers sing well. One of the reasons that The Fixx hit me square between the ears 23 years ago was because Cy’s voice was/is bloody amazing. Sadly, all too often I turn on the radio now and what passes for pop/rock is some hot new person or band where the singer can't freaking carry a tune -- but because they have been anointed as cool (by payola radio) or the band itself has an interesting overall sound, it's supposed to be okay that the singer can't sing. It makes me sad.

Of course, there are a whole bunch of people out there who think that you have to write your own songs and play an instrument in order to be considered a legitimate musician who is worthy of making records. These folks are snobs who choose to ignore musical history.

I like the idea of a show that does an end run on radio and music executives. It says, here are a dozen people -- young ones, fat ones, goofy looking ones, whatever – and the one thing that they have in common is that they sing. Some of them pretty well, actually. Many of them have been trying to get a career going for years, like your neighbor down the street who’s been in bands or the guy who sang at your wedding. But the music business is a crazyass hard one and sometimes working your *** off isn’t good enough. You need to be in the right place at the right time and know a guy and get really, really lucky.

The magic of the show is seeing a promising performer spark at the beginning, rooting for that person and seeing them evolve and reach their potential over the course of the show. I enjoy playing backseat A&R guy and yakking with my husband about who could have a career and what kind of album they should make. It's very engaging. I admit that I am often flummoxed by the elimination process and wonder if America is on crack, but overall, it's quite fun and even the "losers" end up miles ahead of where they would have been if they hadn't participated.

As for Simon, I can totally tolerate his behavior because he’s essential. Randy’s the cool guy who gives people points for effort. Paula is the mom who thinks all of the kids are special, even where they are terrible. Simon, in his brutality, represents the nasty real world and its ruthless expectations, its occasional random cruelty. His mere snarky presence reminds the contestant that he/she has been given a real break by getting exposure on the show and they better not give anything less than 200%. I regularly agree with Simon and the contestants usually come to appreciate his comments the most, because they are honest and lead to improvements in their performances.

So disappointed the little goofy kid didn't get yanked last night, but at least I will be spared "Black Velvet." Also surprised pretty Ace was in the bottom three. I guess he needs to pout more next week.

Re: Re: Um - Steve -

Originally posted by Steve Pariseau
    But Pippi, I would expect "girls like you" to like Simon.

You got me for a minute there, Steve. You should of seen my mouth fall open!!

well kevin's gone now i think bucky will be next taylor chris are my favorites and mandesa from the woman dee

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast