Thread: Fixxing Myspace chart inaccuracies

Fixxing Myspace chart inaccuracies

I recently researched archived issues of Billboard Magazine and other resources to find out every chart position of every week The Fixx were on the U.S. and U.K. charts. I have all the positions in a spreadsheet but it's too much to post here. I did this because I'm a bit of a chart fanatic and because I saw conflicting info on the web about their chart histories.
    I did want to pass on some of this info because the blurbs on the myspace site (http://www.myspace.com/thefixx) and elsewhere have some errors. Some chart stats are overstated while others are understated.
    Anyone in charge wanna check this out and maybe make some fixes?

(1) "...Ink, after moving back to MCA via Impact Records, produced the Top 20 hit, How Much Is Enough?..."

I know that when bands cite their billboard stats its customary to include the positions achieved on any chart even if its not the Hot 100. Any chart can be cited such as the clubplay, modern rock or mainstream rock charts. So when they claim "How Much is Enough?" was a top 20 hit, what chart are they referring to? Since it only reached #35 on the hot 100 singles chart I'm assuming they are referring to the song's #11 peak on the mainstream rock chart or its #10 peak on the modern rock chart. But if this is the case, then given its top 10 modern rock peak why didn't they cite it as a "Top 10 hit"? I can only assume they were referring to the songs position on the pop singles chart and that they got it mistakenly thought it went top 20. They should just change the text to read "Top 10 hit" as its modern rock chart peak entitles them to say this.

(2) "...In 1983, the band released "Reach The Beach", which went Double Platinum on the strength of two major radio hits, "One Thing Leads To Another" and "Saved By Zero",..."

You could argue "Sign of Fire" was also a major radio hit having also cracked the top 40 but maybe that is not major enough in their eyes. It was to me!

(3) "...dance remix of "One Thing Leads To Another" by famed producer Jellybean Benitez raced up the Billboard Dance charts..."

Although I'm sure it was played in the clubs, it never actually managed to enter the dance charts. Billboard has both a Dance/Clubplay Tracks top 50 chart as well as a Dance Singles Sales top 50 chart. On 6/03/00, Jellybean's remix of "One Thing Leads to Another" was listed at #4 on the "Dance/Club Play Breakouts" list which is a list of 5 tracks with future *potential* of entering the clubplay top 50 chart. It's kind of a 'bubbling under' list for the Top 50 clubplay chart. The song never subsequently entered the clubplay top 50.

(4) "...During the success of "Reach The Beach", the band was enlisted to write the song "Deeper and Deeper" for legendary producer Jimmy Iovine for the soundtrack to the film "Streets of Fire" (recently re-released), which only appears on the film’s soundtrack album. The song became the #1 Rock Track and remained so for 12 weeks..."

This is wrong. "Deeper and Deeper" spent a total of 14 weeks on the mainstream rock tracks (then called the Album Rock Tracks chart) but it only peaked at #3 (for two non-consecutive weeks on 6/03/84 and 7/14/04). It never hit #1 on the rock track chart. The problem of getting chart stats right is compounded when even Billboard's database search mechanism can produce flawed results. If you go to Billboard.com and search for the chart history for The Fixx you will find no mention of "Deeper and Deeper" having entered the mainstream rock chart. This may be an error due to the fact that it was common practice back then to list the associated artist of a song on the rock tracks chart simply as 'soundtrack' if that song came from a soundtrack. Thus "Deeper and Deeper"'s artist was cited not as 'The Fixx' but as 'soundtrack' since the track was off the "Streets of Fire" soundtrack. This may explain why a Billboard computer database search would fail to track a rock chart entry for "Deeper and Deeper" when searching for "The Fixx" under the 'artist' field. But "Deeper and Deeper" was definitely there on the rock tracks chart, just not as a #1 song .. it only reached #3.

(5) "...band’s second #1 Rock Track, "Driven Out", became Billboard Magazine’s #4 “Most Played Rock Track of the Year...."

As mentioned above, the Billboard database search sometimes gets it wrong. Another instance is its citation of "Are We Ourselves?" as having only reached #2 on the rock tracks chart. Untrue!!! "Are We Ourselves?" spent two weeks at #1 on 9/08/84 and 9/15/84. I've seen the issues with my own eyes. Since the listings were created without benefit of a computer back then, sometimes naming inconsistencies may have been introduced that prompt errors in modern database searches. They may have left off the question mark off the title of the song for some weeks. I don't know what happened. But I do know they are in error when they cite "Are We Ourselves" as only a #2 rock track. It definitely hit #1 on that chart.
    So given that "Secret Separation" and "Are We Ourselves?" both topped the rock chart (and "Deeper" did not).. that makes "Driven Out" their THIRD #1 rock track, not just their second as they stated on myspace! This should be changed.
    "Secret Separation" and "Are We Ourselves?" each spent two weeks at #1 on the rock tracks chart but "Driven Out" spent 4 weeks on top. The text on myspace claims it was the #4 'most played rock track of the year'. Well, if they are talking about the yearend 'Top Album Rock Tracks Chart' then "Driven Out" was at #7 on this yearend chart not #4. By the way, in 1986, "Secret Separation" also placed at #7 on the yearend Top Album Rock Tracks Chart. (No yearend rock charts existed for the years prior to 1986 so we'll never know where the tracks from 'Reach the Beach' or 'Phantoms' might have placed at year's end.)

(6) "...[the Fixx have had] three #1, five Top 5, a dozen Top 10 hits,..."

As stated before, its customary for bands to include the positions achieved on any chart even if its the clubplay, modern rock or mainstream rock chart, when citing their collective chart stats. But I'm not sure how they got the above statement.
    #1's: The Fixx had three #1's on the rock tracks chart with "Are We Ourselves", "Secret Separation" and "Driven Out" as explained above. They also hit #1 on the Rock Albums Chart with "Reach the Beach". So that's FOUR #1's.
    Top 5 placements: "One Thing" on the Hot 100 Singles chart at #4, "One Thing" on the rock tracks chart at #2 and "Deeper and Deeper" on the rock tracks chart at #3. So that makes THREE top 5's. If the aforementioned #1's are included then it would be a total of SEVEN top five placements.
    Top 10 placements: "Stand or Fall" peaked at #7 and "Saved By Zero" at #9 both on the rock tracks chart. "How Much Is Enough?" reached #10 on the modern rock tracks chart. On the albums chart, "Reach the Beach" was at #8. On the rock albums chart, "Shuttered Room" peaked at #8 and "Phantoms" peaked at #6. That's a total of SIX top 10 placements. Accumulating the #1's and Top 5's from above then that's THIRTEEN top 10 placements.
    So the bio in myspace should read "four #1, seven Top 5 and thirteen Top 10 hits" instead of "three #1, five Top 5, a dozen Top 10 hits". They're selling themselves short!

(7) Here are their yearend chart placements that rarely get mentioned:

1983 Top Pop Artists: The Fixx at #23
    1983 Top NEW Pop Artists: The Fixx at #3 (Culture Club-#1, T. Dolby-#2)
    1983 Top Pop Albums: "Reach the Beach" at #56
    1983 Top Pop Album Artists: The Fixx at #23
    1983 Top Pop Album Artists - Duos or Groups: The Fixx at #13
    1983 Top Pop Singles Artists: The Fixx at #37
    1983 Top Pop Singles Artists - Duos or Groups: The Fixx at #18
    (1983 No Yearend Rock Charts existed)

1984 Top Pop Artists: The Fixx at #43
    1984 Top Pop Singles Artists: The Fixx at #43
    1984 Top Pop Singles Artists - Duos or Groups: The Fixx at #19
    (1984 Rock Tracks Chart splits into Album Rock Tracks & Modern Rock Tracks Chart)
    (1984 No Yearend Rock Charts existed)

1986 Top Rock Tracks: "Secret Separation" at #7
    1989 Top Album Rock Tracks: "Driven Out" at #7

Thanks Mick:

Ed runs the myspace page. I'm pretty sure he'll see your post.

Say, what are the sales figures in units sold for each album?

Thumbs up GOOD JOB

Very informative Mick!

Is the Myspace website really helpful for promotion? Just curious. I love to check it out myself, but I am already a fan.
    I am the winner in any event.

MySpace is important for promotion. MySpace is a burgeoning site especially for music acts. This is probably because of the cross-promotional linking that occurs. But more importantly, any time a promotional bio or blurb hits the web you will see it used at other sites. If you check out any music site you will likely find the same bio for The Fixx repeated over and over. It is one done a few years ago that seems to have caught on as the definitive one. It's amazing that anytime someone writes something on the web whether a bio or a blog or a bulletin board or product review.. it never dies it will stick around forever. That's why it is important to get all the positive stats out there as much as possible. Some sites still have the Fixx closing up shop in the mid-nineties.

As for sales figures for The Fixx's albums. I wish I had access to that. Maybe I'll take another look at the past Billboard issues but I'm not sure they summarize that stuff in any concise way. I'll check it out though.

Meanwhile... more fun-filled facts from the UK charts where the band was unfairly overlooked:

On the UK Singles Top 75 +('The Next 25') Charts:
    "(?)" exists below because 'The Next 25' listing was not always ranked. Just know that the given song was at some position between #76 and #100 during that week.
    Title .....................Peak...#Wks...Debut....PeakDa te....Finale.......Positions
    Stand or Fall .........54........7.....04/03/82..05/01/82 ...05/15/82...(?) (?) (?) 73 54 63 71
    Red Skies...............57........8.....06/19/82...07/31/82...08/07/82..(?) (?) (?) (?) 74 58 57 72
    One Thing..............86........3.....10/01/83...10/08/83....10/15/83..(100) (86) (86)
    Secret Separation..83........3.....06/28/86 ...07/05/86....07/12/86...(89) (83) (86)

On the UK Album Top 100:
    Title .....................Peak...#Wks...Debut....PeakDa te....Finale.......Positions
    Shuttered Room.....54.......6......05/22/82..05/29/82...06/26/82...75 54 55 80 73 95
    Reach The Beach.....91......1......05/21/83...05/21/83...05/21/83...91

Just one week for "Reach the Beach" on the UK album chart while 54 weeks on US chart. Hard to believe! I also have all the US positions on hot 100 singles, top 200 albums, rock albums, rock tracks, modern rock tracks, and clubplay charts but it's maybe a bit much to post here.

yawn..... more corporate bean-counting demographics...

It boils down to whether You...

LIKE or disLIKE... a song(s)...

I dont give a flyin F*ck what "such and such" chart said they did or didnt do... I like all their work regardless- I dont need some mickey mouse chart to tell me what i am supposed to like..... We know tha sh*t doesnt work or we'd all listen to MJackson and Madonna 24-7.... yawn again... most of the buying public likes crap- that aint no secret! Sorry if the shoe fits...

What do you think they are gonna put???
    (with hypothetical sarcasm here EX: "The bands 1991 cd really was bad- so dont buy it..!! Of course they are gonna say good/postive things about every release.... whether it charted well or not.... heck 2 of my fave fixx songs lighthouse and mayfly never charted at all because they never were released! YET! That doesnt make them bad songs, cause they didnt chart- so thats my theory about only good songs are in the charts...

So im glad you took the painstaking time to research all of this useless info, but what happened 20 years ago doesnt make a sh*t of difference in our lives today.... maybe in forensics and DNA evidence it might... but not in pop music!

it doesnt mean much now.......

respectfully,

d3
    Last edited by Diamond05; 02-26-2006 at 02:03 PM.
    "There can be no tradition without innovation."
    - Earle Hitchner, Irish music journalist

Thanks for all the info Mick! It was a great read and I do hope everything is updated properly. Like Steve, I too would like to know the sales figures for all the albums but I guess that will take more time and research.

Originally posted by Diamond05
    ....I dont give a flyin F*ck what "such and such" chart said they did or didnt do... I like all their work regardless- I dont need some mickey mouse chart to tell me what i am supposed to like..... We know tha sh*t doesnt work or we'd all listen to MJackson and Madonna 24-7.... yawn again... most of the buying public likes crap- that aint no secret! Sorry if the shoe fits...

.....So im glad you took the painstaking time to research all of this useless info, but what happened 20 years ago doesnt make a sh*t of difference in our lives today.... maybe in forensics and DNA evidence it might... but not in pop music!
    Well obviously its all secondary to whether people like the music or not. But we're talking about the real world of the music promotion business where sometimes thickheaded people will only spin a record or buy a concert ticket or book a gig if they are made aware of the past and present impact of a band on the public. And though chart stats are a weak indicator of that, it is what is usually relied upon. That's why The Fixx's promotion folks include past chart accomplishments in their bios.. as does every other band trying to get some traction. Why do you think the band themselves are so concerned about trying to get their greatest hits cd certified platinum? They want credit and recognition for their accomplishments.

ya got me there my friend...

i just never went with the flow of what those charts told me was good...

sorry if my post seemed kinda harsh- not towards you at all- just the charts....

d
    "There can be no tradition without innovation."
    - Earle Hitchner, Irish music journalist

Re: 321

Originally posted by Diamond05
    ya got me there my friend...

i just never went with the flow of what those charts told me was good...

sorry if my post seemed kinda harsh- not towards you at all- just the charts....

d
    i hear ya.

MySpace doesn't count "Are We Ourselves" as their second of three #1 rock tracks, neither does Billboard's own online database search but I found the proof!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

"One Thing" didn't make the top 50 dance chart in 2000 just the 'bubbling under' chart:

Instead of "three No. 1 hits, five Top-5 hits, a dozen Top-10 hits" as it is written, it could instead be "4 #1 hits, 7 Top 5's and 13 Top 10's".
    If you include the yearend placements then there are even more.
    Last edited by Mick Warwell; 04-10-2006 at 04:53 AM.

Here are their two yearend song mentions:

Great info Mick!